Small Russian Tea Glass Holder - Karl Fend?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
piette
contributor

Small Russian Tea Glass Holder - Karl Fend?

Post by piette »

Good afternoon all,

I have a question about an object of mine which I acquired a few months ago. It is a solid silver tea glass holder (podstakannak? smaller than the usual size...) and it is engraved, and has a diamond & sapphire set twin headed imperial eagle on the front. The diamonds and sapphires are genuine and have been tested, although the imperial eagle is not original. Looking closely, you can see where an engraving has been filled in underneath the decoration.

It measures 72mm in height including the handle, and the interior diameter is 54mm. It is marked to the base with the 1882-1898 dvoinik mark for Moscow, 84 and also has an additional Moscow mark on the handle. The makers mark is К.Ф and I think it is probably Karl Fend, but I am not sure, as the only mark of his which I know is К Ф with no dot.

Can anyone shed some light on the maker?

Regards,
Piette
asti

Re: Small Russian Tea Glass Holder - Karl Fend?

Post by asti »

Hi Piette

Looking just to the engravings quality seems to be Fend, maybe worked with a little more care from what I've seen in the past. For this reason I will say : It’s a Fend+ , but never the another К.Ф

Regards,
Asti
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

asti wrote:Hi Piette

Looking just to the engravings quality seems to be Fend, maybe worked with a little more care from what I've seen in the past. For this reason I will say : It’s a Fend+ , but never the another К.Ф

Regards,
Asti
Hello Asti,
Thank you for confirming this. When I bought it, I knew it wouldn't be Faberge, the quality isn't good enough and the surface isn't smooth enough.
Regards,
Piette
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Piette -

first, this is no Podsdakannik = teaglass holder, it is a charka = vodka cup. Size! Charki in this size existed in Imperial Russia....
Second, the whole object is newly (contemporary) made and with false marks, impressing it is made by the famous К.Ф, and sensless Imperial Eagle decoration impressing it was a presentation charka.
Just look at the "ant"-like St. George, wellknown as fake mark among collectors and the simple mashine engraving - always with a big cartouche for the monogramm. This style is often seen at the online auctions. Absolutely not the work of Karl Fend - just a fake.

Regards
Zolotnik
asti

Post by asti »

Hi Piette, can you give us 2-3 fotos of the details from the engraving? I want to see especially the curves.

Regards,
Asti
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Hello,
Some photos of the engravings - I have just provided the links to the photos, as the full sized photos would not fit on this page.
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj23 ... ne/019.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj23 ... ne/017.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj23 ... ne/014.jpg
http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj23 ... ne/013.jpg

Regards,
Piette
asti

Post by asti »

Hi Piette, thanks for the pictures.
Now I will have to swallow my words, and reduce the grade from Fend+ to Fend-... Zolotnik is absolutely right, 95% machine and 5% additions of hand work (the zig-zag, easiest part of the engraving).

Regards,
Asti
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Good Evening Asti and Zolotnik,
Thank you for letting me know - we live and learn! I will keep the diamonds and get rid of the rest! :-)
Piette
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Piette -
Hi asti -

here the details for better understanding:

engraved by mashine = only one depth and "wrigggle work (zic-zac lines), mashine like and not individual

engraved by hand = different depths, different breadth and very individual. You can recognise a good engraver by his "handwriting"

If you make the decision to buy - first check the different aspects and ways of forgery! Fakes are never better than the original....

Regards
Zolotnik
Child

Post by Child »

...Only eagle with stones is a fake. Good engraver hands workes like a machine. Look at a big circle of the cartouche...
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Child -

photos or books never gives the expression a healthy experience with real objects can give. If their is no difference between mashine and an idividuum - we all must be mashines. The contrary is the case! It is OK to have a point of view - but don´t be upset when you discover 60% of your collection are fakes - simple fakes, like the shown object, no sophysticated fakes...
You can learn or ignore, just chose your way.

Regards
Zolotnik
Child

Post by Child »

I can only repeat my previous words. Zolotnik, you are some crasy on fakes.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Child (nomen est omen...) -

Piette want to sell this podstakannik,
piette wrote: I will keep the diamonds and get rid of the rest! :-)
just PM him and you can own a unique masterpiece of Russian workmanship. But be quick - there are many people waiting for this opportunity....

Regards
Zolotnik
Child

Post by Child »

Thanks for this oportunity to have othentik Faberge podstakannik, but I am expert, not a collektor.
Regards.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi Child -
Child wrote: but I am expert, not a collektor.
that must be a joke!

Regards
Zolotnik

Return to “Russian Silver”