matchbook case with unknown marks

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Christian

matchbook case with unknown marks

Post by Christian »

Hello,
I don`t have experience with russian marks, so I need your help please!
In the list I found the Kokoshnik Mark K3 = Kliment Zagaevsky, Vilnius 1899-1908
On the back side it`s maybe a dutch import mark???
...and the other marks??? Who can help me...
Thanks Chris

Front side
Back side

Zolotnik

Re: matchbook case with unknown marks

Post by Zolotnik »

As you stated that you have no experience with Russian marks - I will explain it in detail:

The match book cover was made in Vilnius 1899-1908 under Russian rule bei the silversmith НШ (N Sch) Nicolai Schepelew (Schepilow), 02. 05. 1862 -1920 from Riga, a well known smith. After the foundation of the state Latvia in 1922 many people liked to remark their objects with their "own" marks - this are the marks you see next to the Russian marks. This mark is the old version, 1927 came a more elegant mark. The letter L was used for remarking or for earlier made silver from Riga.
By the way a nice and rare object - but more of the French influenced Baltic style. The Russians do not know match book covers of this form.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

The L-mark needs a bit more explanation. Latvia declared independence in 1918 and 1922 a new set of hallmarks was implemented. The letter L, which is actually up side down is a minimum standard mark. It was punched on unmarked silver or gold objects indicating that a minimum fineness of not less than 875/1000 for silver and 585/1000 for gold required by law. It was as well punched on previously owned items and/or items that were brought to the market to be sold at an official auction, pawn shops etc. Without the mark it could not be sold. It is similar to the Cyrillic L on Russian items, which has been discussed here some time ago.

Image Image
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Zolotnik wrote:As you stated that you have no experience with Russian marks - I will explain it in detail:

The match book cover was made in Vilnius 1899-1908 under Russian rule bei the silversmith НШ (N Sch) Nicolai Schepelew (Schepilow), 02. 05. 1862 -1920 from Riga, a well known smith. After the foundation of the state Latvia in 1922 many people liked to remark their objects with their "own" marks - this are the marks you see next to the Russian marks. This mark is the old version, 1927 came a more elegant mark. The letter L was used for remarking or for earlier made silver from Riga.
By the way a nice and rare object - but more of the French influenced Baltic style. The Russians do not know match book covers of this form.
Hi, Zolotnik.

Tell please why "it is made in Vilnius", but the silversmith from Riga. May be "it is made in Riga" is correct? And tell please where you took facts about Nicolai Schepelew or Schepilow?

Best Reg..
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

To Dad
Christian wrote:The match book cover was made in Vilnius 1899-1908 under Russian rule by the silversmith НШ (N Sch) Nicolai Schepelew (Schepilow), 02. 05. 1862 -1920 from Riga, a well known smith.
should read : assayed in Vilnius....

Source: Annelore Leistikow, Baltisches Silber, page 328
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Zolotnik wrote:Source: Annelore Leistikow, Baltisches Silber, page 328
Many thanks.
Christian

Post by Christian »

I thank you very much for your help, it`s so interesting to get informations about the provenance!

Return to “Russian Silver”