Faberge(?) Desk article

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
daisy1962

Faberge(?) Desk article

Post by daisy1962 »

Think this may be fake Faberge - only one part marked. Work is not as fine as I would imagine it should be and the faux marble reverse paint glass seems odd. Any comments?
Juke
contributor

Re: Faberge(?) Desk article

Post by Juke »

Hi!

Well, you guessed right, no Fabergé. It is no use trying to find a real Fabergé if you are not willing to pay for it. Otherwise it ends up that you don't get a real one.

Regards,
Juke
daisy1962

Post by daisy1962 »

Was something like this made as an outright fake? It looks to me to be circa 1915-1920 and has a couple of small diamonds (real) on the medallion. Am I correct that with Faberge, like English silver, all separate parts would need to be hallmarked identically.
Thanks for your reply!
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Hi!

Well these are typical on the market, it is always difficult to say exactly when they have been made/marked but first half of 20th century is a good guess for this item. On this item it seems that it might have been overmarked (at least on your picture the name Fabergé looks that it could be an overmark). The diamonds needs always to be checked by a jeweller with a special equipment, with bare eye and loupe it is not always sure to be said if the diamond is genuine (it can be glass, a zirconium, a rhinestone etc). For this period separate parts on russian items are marked.

Regards,
Juke

Return to “Russian Silver”