Marks on enamel beaker/cup

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
eleazar

Marks on enamel beaker/cup

Post by eleazar »

Hi, I have this cup and I was wondering about the maker, I could get the kokoshnik mark for st. petersburg but not the other 2.
And about the enamel why are the red parts blue underneath??? What a pity it is so ruined!!

Thanks!!

Postnikov
inactive

Re: Marks on enamel beaker/cup

Post by Postnikov »

Hi eleazar -

please read the several articles about enamel cloisonné and how to distinguish authentic from contemporary (fake) objects on this forum.

Regards
Postnikov
eleazar

Post by eleazar »

oh, I read some but still I couldnt tell if it was a fake,
I thought that the fakes had very clear and clean marks, on the other hand I read that more important than the marks is the piece itself but still came to no conclusion!! thanksss
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Let me put it this way, enameling was more or less Moscow’s business. The initials in the kokshnik mark on your cup show ЯЛ. That is the assayer Jakov Ljapunov and guess what, he was never in Moscow but in St Petersburg.

Another thing is that both the kokshnik mark and the maker’s mark are badly punched aslant on a plain surface! I could understand that regarding the hallmark because the assayer did not care about it. He hit hundreds of marks every working day like on a conveyor belt. But I have difficulties in understanding that regarding the maker’s mark. You could ask why is it aslant? Didn’t the maker like to inform the prospective buyer who has made the object? Of course he did, and punched a nice and clearly readable mark. It was his trademark and ad as well.

But now it is aslant on your object. Maybe this is the reason: The maker, whoever it is, doesn’t want to be identified with certainty. Now ask your self: Who wants that and why? Time for conclusions….
Okapi

Post by Okapi »

Just for information, here are pictures of a "bad" quality russian enameled piece and the hallmarks, always in the center of the piece when flat under.

This is a lot different from yours on all aspects if you look how the enamel is put in the soldered wires.

Return to “Russian Silver”