Hi all -
I wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR !

Regards
Postnikov
dognose
Site Admin

Re: A Happy New Year

Post by dognose »

And a happy new year to you Postnikov and all our other members!

Regards Trev.
glenna

Post by glenna »

Happy and joyfull New Year to everyone!
silverly

Post by silverly »

A safe and happy new year to all!
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

Thanks and the same to you.
Your greeting card is beautiful XB (Христос Воскресе). You know what I mean.
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Happy New Year to you all!
Hopefully 2011 will be kind to us all!
Regards,
Piette
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

Following the custom of another group creating the website on Loetz glass where I participate, let me introduce myself. In fact I was a member of this Forum years ago but lost both Username and Password and had to register again now that I can spare more time. I am a professor of pediatric surgery at Belgrade University, 61 years old. I spent a long time in the workshop of a jeweler, a friend of mine, who trained me to use all his tools, including hard soldering with ``mouth pipe``. I have been collecting silver for 25 years. What I need is better camera for close up pictures. I have much to contribute. The first thing I will try to offer soon is a stirrup cup in the form a ``barzoi``, the dog’s head, made by Samuel Arndt (St.Peterburg). The question is who was trained in his workshop about 1860 and later worked for Faberge. One thing is for sure, animal figures by Samuel Arndt are much better than those made by Julius Rappaport in his workshop on the Ekaterinskii Canal from 1883 and retailed by Faberge.Were Faberge masters and contractors trained by Samuel Arndt as declared by an auction house in Geneva? I also regret that Russian jewelry is not discussed in this forum, probably for the reason that it will be full of questions about not important items. On the other hand, I see no reason for discussing plain spoons and discussing Faberge jewelry is forbidden. I wanted to post an enameled red and yellow gold and diamonds ``Trompe-l'Å“il`` bracelet (engraved to imitate leather) by Carl Siewers (1850). In this particular case I am interested in the technique of ``Trompe-l'Å“il`` engraving and the secret of Russian red gold (it is not the question of more copper added to the alloy but how did they solder two colors together, because after soldering gold must be dipped into the weak solution of sulfuric acid which turns red gold into yellow color because copper at the surface is dissolved). There is also the question of gilding silver at the time, because it was not an electrolytic process. Happy New Year to all.
Ivan

(Admin Note - Thank you for the introduction Ivan and a happy new year to you, It's good that you've decided to rejoin us, we welcome you and look forward to your contributions. Just to clarify a point, discussing Russian jewellery is not forbidden, indeed it is most welcome, but needs to be posted in the 'Europeon Jewelry' forum. Regards Trev.)
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Thought I'd add this Latvian New Year postcard, circa 1927 ~ and a Happy New Year to all!

~Cheryl
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hi everyone.

Hope the New Year is good to you all.

Pat.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hey Cheryl, don't let Postnikov see that spoon, I've got a feeling it's not genuine!

Trev.
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

I join congratulations. Happy New Year!!!
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

ARGENTUM49 wrote:Following the custom of another group creating the website on Loetz glass where I participate, let me introduce myself. In fact I was a member of this Forum years ago but lost both Username and Password and had to register again now that I can spare more time. I am a professor of pediatric surgery at Belgrade University, 61 years old. I spent a long time in the workshop of a jeweler, a friend of mine, who trained me to use all his tools, including hard soldering with ``mouth pipe``. I have been collecting silver for 25 years. What I need is better camera for close up pictures. I have much to contribute. The first thing I will try to offer soon is a stirrup cup in the form a ``barzoi``, the dog’s head, made by Samuel Arndt (St.Peterburg). The question is who was trained in his workshop about 1860 and later worked for Faberge. One thing is for sure, animal figures by Samuel Arndt are much better than those made by Julius Rappaport in his workshop on the Ekaterinskii Canal from 1883 and retailed by Faberge.Were Faberge masters and contractors trained by Samuel Arndt as declared by an auction house in Geneva? I also regret that Russian jewelry is not discussed in this forum, probably for the reason that it will be full of questions about not important items. On the other hand, I see no reason for discussing plain spoons and discussing Faberge jewelry is forbidden. I wanted to post an enameled red and yellow gold and diamonds ``Trompe-l'Å“il`` bracelet (engraved to imitate leather) by Carl Siewers (1850). In this particular case I am interested in the technique of ``Trompe-l'Å“il`` engraving and the secret of Russian red gold (it is not the question of more copper added to the alloy but how did they solder two colors together, because after soldering gold must be dipped into the weak solution of sulfuric acid which turns red gold into yellow color because copper at the surface is dissolved). There is also the question of gilding silver at the time, because it was not an electrolytic process. Happy New Year to all.
Ivan

(Admin Note - Thank you for the introduction Ivan and a happy new year to you, It's good that you've decided to rejoin us, we welcome you and look forward to your contributions. Just to clarify a point, discussing Russian jewellery is not forbidden, indeed it is most welcome, but needs to be posted in the 'Europeon Jewelry' forum. Regards Trev.)
Thanks Trev for your most kind and warm welcome. My primary interest is the craftsmanship and understanding of old techniques, often neglected because people rely on hallmarks in the first place. They are important, but the way an item is made is crucial for correct attribution.
The new section I found after several years is Hannau silver. At the turn of the century - 1900, general public disliked new ``art nouveau`` movement and the market demanded replicas of XVI — XVIII silver. I have seen many pieces hallmarked either Augsburg or Nuernberg, but they are not dangerous replicas. Hoping we stay in touch — due to my insomnia I will spend more time in the forums. God bless you.
Ivan

Return to “Russian Silver”