Glassholder. Faberge vs Fent

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Etranger

Glassholder. Faberge vs Fent

Post by Etranger »

Hi Postnikov,
to continue a topic about fake Faberge I found in my archive a couple of glassholder that I saw this year. Here is one of them
Image Image
What do you think about it?
Postnikov
inactive

Re: Glassholder. Faberge vs Fent

Post by Postnikov »

Hi Etranger -

on the first glance the engraving etc. looks good. When you see the marks, you know that it is a fake! Have a look on the "antlike" St. George.---------------------- Several articles in the forum about "antlike" St. George!

If you monitor the internet and auctions you know that motto - postakanniks are the new trend in fakeland.

Regards
Postnikov
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes, I share Postkinov's opinion and we have the dubious year 1894, when Lev Oleks was supposed to be an assayer in Moscow but he wasn't. The year 1892 or 1894 and assayer ЛО (Lev Oleks) is a red flag irrespective of who the master is.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry, sorry a typo the years should be 1893 and 1894. The year 1892 is correct.
Etranger

Post by Etranger »

Hi Postnikov,
so if you see ЛО near 1894-95 mark and antlike St.George for you it always mean a red flag? And it doesn't depend on work level, style details etc.?
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Hi Etranger,
The assayer Lev Oleks only worked in Mosvow in certain years.
This is why a Moscow hallmark from the years 1893 and 1894 with his assayer mark is dubious - these are two of the years during which he did not work in Moscow.
Regards,
Piette
Etranger

Post by Etranger »

Thanks Piette,
can you specify the source? I ask because there are a lot of auction house in Russia propose lots marked in such way I have a doubt that this information is a kind of "secret knowledge" and unknown for them. From other side a cost of such lots not so high in order to risk their reputation. So it looks a little strange, doesn't it?
Regards
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi Etranger -

piette is absolute right! If the assayer on duty Lev Olks was not in Moscow at that year - he could not have assayed the object - also the object is a fake!
Experience in the last month have shown that silver assayed by L.Oleks + the funny St. Georg (ant) is always a fake. Observation of the market had shown that motto glasholders are flooding the different selling places.
Mostly Mr. Oleks is involved .....

Regards
Postnikov
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi Etranger -

I will answer the question you asked piette (sorry piette):
Hallmarking was as you might know a very, very strict business in Russia! Many files with names and dates exist - many have been destroyed and are lost. Serious international collectors communicate together, like we on the forum do it, and compare what they have or what they know. Some of this knowledge you do not (jet) find in books or elswhere - it is a kind of "insider knowledge".
The until today known fakts about LEV OLEKS are:

1889-90 Moscow
1892 Moscow
1895-1904 Moscow
1905-14 Kiev
1915-17 Moscow

So if you find a mark from him for the year 1894, this mark is a fakemark. Understand??

The sale politics of auction houses was often discussed here - please read the forum! It does not matter if a fake is sold privately or in an auction house - it is still a fake.

Only the knowing should buy and only you are responsible if you buy a fake! Do your homework!

Regards
Postnikov
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Hi Postnikov,
It is ok - I had already sent a PM to Etranger. (I did not know wether it would be a good idea to write it on the forum - I also don't want to 'educate' the fakers)
Can I just clarify - L. Oleks did not work in the years 1891, 1893 and 1894 yes? Or did he work as an assayer elsewhere?
I have in my notes that he did not work during these years.
Regards,
Piette
Etranger

Post by Etranger »

Hi everybody,
of course I read forum and understand that here Oleks + 1894 = fake is the truth. But i just want to understand a source if it is a book - what's the name of it. If it is insaider's info -ok, just clarify, no more.
I just skeptic guy and used to get something with real fact but not axiom kind "Postnikov said it - so no discussion, please"
regards
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi piette -

I have a secret information only for you: he went icefishing in winter and drank umbrella drinks in some beach bars in summer (this information is confidental!!).

Regards
Postnikov
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Hi Etranger,
I may be wrong, but I think a lot of the knowledge which the real experts on here have, comes not from reading facts - but from handling thousands of genuine objects, and noticing the patterns, rules and exceptions to the rules.
This is why it is not written in books - the authors of books have not collected for decades and have not handled thousands of objects. "Insider knowledge" comes from experience in my opinion.
Regards,
Piette
I have a secret information only for you: he went icefishing in winter and drank umbrella drinks in some beach bars in summer (this information is confidental!!).
This made me smile, Postnikov. :-)
I will note that no information is known. :-)
Regards,
Piette
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi Etranger -

no reason to get angry...

If you have the usual literatur you might have noticed that the chapters of assaymasters are rather unclear - you see many assayer who worked in three different cities at the same time. That is nonsense - but one author copies from the other. Some people try to clear all this questions by comparing and examining real objects (marks, quality, dates, style etc.) and putting piece to piece on the mosaik. Suddenly there is a picture...
It would be very fine if you could provide something to the projekt...

Regards
Postnikov

Return to “Russian Silver”