Petr Milyukov

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
piette
contributor

Petr Milyukov

Post by piette »

I have been looking for a good example of a Petr Milyukov makers mark but can't seem to find one after having scoured the internet for quite a while.
I understand that it is П М in a rectangular cartouche, is this correct? I cannot seem to find the information anywhere online - and I am awaiting the delivery of a book which has been recommended to me - but it is not due to arrive for almost another week.

Also any other information that is available on Petr Milyukov would be great, if you could provide the information or if you could direct me to a place where I can find the information.

Regards,
Piette
Postnikov
inactive

Re: Petr Milyukov

Post by Postnikov »

Hi piette -
here you are:

and an object from him:

Regards
Postnikov
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Hi Postnikov,
Thank you for this information - very helpful. Was this from the Postnikova-Loseva book or another?

The reason for my asking was because I have seen a small item for sale at auction in a few days at my local auction house (I have no intention of buying it) although it was not advertised as Russian silver & enamel - only as a 'white metal enamel box.'
I was just trying to do some research myself to try and figure out if it was fake or not and for various reasons I have concluded that I think it probably is fake although I am just wondering if I am right or not.

Here are pictures if you can help at all. (The pictures are my own which I took with permission of the auction house whilst I was viewing the item)

These two hallmarks can be found on the main part of the box:

And these two hallmarks can be found on the lid of the box:

I hope it is OK to ask this question - I understand that you do not want your forum filled with pictures of fake items, I would just like some reassurance that I am right in thinking it is fake.
Best Regards,
Piette
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi piette -

the informations are from this book, "Russian silver".

Your object is a powderbox, in the lid should be a mirror, if broken - at least the fitting for a mirror or traces of a removed/lost fitting for the mirror!
The marking is as it should be but the finish is not good enough for Milyukov! He was famous for his enamel and his excellent work.
The giveaways: simple enamel pattern and colours, missing mirror fastening, missing powder compartment. Wrong thumbpiece. Oxydiced background and almost no punching pattern.
Typical fake. always sold as pillbox. This fake is really good copied (stamps) but the quality.....from Milyukov?? No way!!

Here are some other powderboxes - you can see the difference - hopefuly!

Some objects from Milyukov - see the details and quality! By the way: his name is Pjotr not Petr!

Regards
Postnikov
Tea glass holder

Breadbasket

Sorry for the bad quality but it is late night and no good light.

Return to “Russian Silver”