Post 1958 mark.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

Post 1958 mark.

Post by paulh »

This is a nice amber jewel with a post 1958 USSR 875 silver mark. Next to the hammer and sickle is the letter “P”. This could be a Latin “P” or a Cyrillic “R”. My record do not cover this period and I would like to know if anyone could identify the origin.

It also has a mark, which could be a makers mark of “Я K 8" Does this mean anything to anyone?

Paul.

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Post 1958 mark.

Post by Qrt.S »

If marks wouldn't mean anything to anybody you could ask yourself: Why mark it?
But never mind that. The Я K 8 is a name; Jantarnyj Kombinat Kaliningrad (Amber Factory Kaliningrad) The P or Cyrillic R is Riga's cipher. It is assayed in Riga 1968. Kaliningrad is former Köningsberg the capital of Prussia. Today Kaliningrad is in Russia and located on the east coats of the Baltic Sea and known for its amber production.

Have a nice evening

Qrt.S
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

A minor amendment, it could be also 1958 because this ЯK8 was used both 1958 and 1968 again.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Thanks for your prompt answer. You confirmed my suspicions that it was from the area around either Lithuania or Latvia.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

You're welcome.

No, not Latvia and Lithuania but Lithuania and Poland. It is a Russian "island" on mainland isolated from its mother country. Take a look here:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Kaliningrad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rgds

Qrt.S

Return to “Russian Silver”