Unknown Soviet / Russian Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
elimiz

Unknown Soviet / Russian Mark

Post by elimiz »

I have 6 serving spoons that I am trying to identify.

The marks are as follows:
1 then
(looks like cursive) ZiD inside an oval then
k followed by Hammer & Sickle inside a star followed by 875.

I know Hammer & Sickle denote Soviet and the 875 is the purity.
I am uncertain of the 1 with ZiD or the k before the Hammer & Sickle.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Unknown Soviet / Russian Mark

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry no success. The strange thing is that the left mark contains the Latin letters i and D and the mark itself does not fit the Soviet standard ??? Could it be an imported item? However, take a closer look at the Soviet mark and tell me what letter do you see down to the left of the star? That letter tells you the location/place. The only thing I can tell you is that your spoon is not older than 5th of May 1958 but not newer than 1993.
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Hi!

The K in Hammer & Sickle mark indicates we are in Ukraine (Kiev). The ZiD mark is the mark by завод столовых приборов и посуды дзержинского which could be translated something like Dzerzhinsky factory of cutlery and crockery. The factory was in production from 1964-68. The number one could well be a model/catalog number.

Regards,
Juke
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Excellent Juke, you managed to learn me something new. Mind my asking but what was your source regarding this information? Moreover, can you explain the Latin letters in the trademark of an Soviet factory????

IS it really a K? I cannot distinguish it.

Thank you in advance

Qrt.S
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Hi!

I have previously seen the mark so I knew it came from Ukraine, also elimiz indicated that there is a K before the Hammer & Sickle mark so it supported my knowledge.

Otherwise the source of this, well our dear Postnikova-Loseva, this factory mark numbers are in the book #4154-58.

The latin letter 'i' is used in the Ukranian language. The 'D' is from Dzerzhinsky, why it is in latin in the trademark I cannot say. Here is the Ukranian alphabet:
А а Б б В в Г г Ґ ґ Д д Е е Є є Ж ж З з И и
І і Ї ї Й й К к Л л М м Н н О о П п Р р С с
Т т У у Ф ф Х х Ц ц Ч ч Ш ш Щ щ Ь ь Ю ю Я я.

Well there is always something new.

Regards,
Juke
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hmmmmm, yes i is in the Ukrainian alphabet and I saw it too in the books. But this 3iD is not found as 3iD as such and without a last figure, a number, in neither Postinkova nor Troepolskaja. In both books its format is 3iД4-8 (3= Cyrillic Z for Zavod=factory). The last figure indicates the year of fabrication 1964-68 but there is no figure. So when is it made?
But, if you have had the respective mark verified in an other case you're probably right. Silver marks is not an absolute science.
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Hi!

Yes I understand your comments. The facts that I based on it, is that the spoons come from Ukraine so the assumption is that there would not be a factory with the same initials, of course it is possible but unlikely. Could it be a trademark for western tourists or something else, I don't know.

Yes I know the year system, my assumption was that as they have used their trademark and not the 'normal' letter marks as usually so the year has not been indicated. Thereby the exact year can not be given but the spoons would have been made between 1964-68. I know I made my assumptions but this is the closest I can get with some logic. The case I refered to was also from Ukraine with a trademark of another factory (with same Zi.) .

Regards,
Juke
Nero5

Post by Nero5 »

Hi! It hapends I know ukrainian. Зi Д is realy :
( З - Z) Zavod - factory ,
(i - i) imeny - in name of
( Д - D) Dzerzinskogo- name of first KGB's.
Ukrainian alphabet has "i".
D is not in latin, it is just handwriting of Д (similar in russian and ukrainian)
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Nero5, you know something, you're a genius! It is exactly as you say, in handwriting Д is D, perfect Nero5.

Just a coincident but in the Finnish language the word for "genius" is NERO believe it or not. This case is solved.
elimiz

Post by elimiz »

WOW! Thank you very much for all the info!!
Nero5

Post by Nero5 »

I do not now Finnish, but hmmmmm.... Thanks

Return to “Russian Silver”