KФ

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

KФ

Post by paulh »

These are the marks on a Russian fiddle tea spoon. The spoon is of exceptionally high quality and I am assuming that the maker is Karl Faberge. However, Geoffrey Watts, in his book on Russian silver marks, show a similar mark for a Karl Fend. I can find nothing about this maker other than this mark to point me in the right direction.

My reasoning, based on the dates given, is that as this has the Kokoshnik mark which was used from 1908, this is too late for Fend. Anyone care to venture an opinion?

Paul.

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I can always provide you with my personal opinion. In this case I can tell you that forget Fabergé. To put it nicely, I don't think this spoon has anything to do with this company. It is most likely Karl Feld as you mentioned yourself. Karl Feld was a good smith and 1908 is not too late for him. Everything that glitter is not gold....I mean neither silver nor Fabergé.

It is often misunderstood (with purpose) that this КФ mark would be Fabergé. Fabergé used this mark only on very small objects (rather seldom) where there were no place for the full mark (K.)FABERGE. There is plenty of room on the stem of your spoon for the whole mark.

By a coincident I had the opportunity to have a look at Watts book. Mind my saying, but if I were you, I wouldn't rely too much on it. Get another book e.g. Postnikova-Loseva-Uljanova. Then you are getting somewhere.
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi -

The signatures of Fabergé are a very difficult thema, understood only by experts with a wide experience of handling real Fabergé objects. As you might know he had shops in St. Petersburg, Moscow, Odessa and London, but his workshops were in St. Petersburg and Moscow. Odessa and London sold only objects which were sent from St. Petersburg or Moscow - they had no own workshops!
To make a very long story short - I will only speak about the marking system of St. Petersburg and Moscow which are relevant for your spoon. Please read attentive and have a sharp look at the different marks - form, cartouche, dots and overal layout. Otherwise you will not understand the difference.

Karl Fend(t) 1883-1908

Even if he had made the spoon in his last year and the mark looks very similar to a mark from Fabergé - it can not be him because he did not fabricate cutlery!

Moscow:

Most of the objects made in Moscow carry the Imperial patent-mark, i.e. Fabergé´s full signature in Cyr.: К.ФАБЕРЖЕ under a double eagle.

St. Petersburg:

Signature in. Cyr., without initial of the first name (where ever possible).
A number of in St. Petersburg manufactured objects carry neither Fabergé´s mark nor initial, some because there was no space (for instance on the rims of cane handles), others because they were made bei "opportunity workers" for Fabergé (Rückert, Affanasiev, etc.).

Your spoon:

Have a look at the cartouche, the missing dot (in Moscow always with dot!) and the form of the letters Cyr. КФ! By the way: Fabergé´s cutlery was only made in Moscow and there are many simple ( without decoration etc.) cutlery sets known - besides the opulent and richly decorated ones. Moscow was the market for less expensive wares - St. Petersburg was for expensive wares!

Now you have all the informations you need to come to an own opinion.
Please do not ask me what you have - whenever I tell someone the truth - the namegiving, yelling and hate mails start. I had enough of that!

Regards
Postnikov
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Thanks Postnikov. The question I needed an answer to was; Did Fend make flatware? I understand that answers to a lot of questions about silver marks are opinions and someone will always find alternative opinions, but I just wanted someone to add to my thoughts on the subject.

Paul.

Return to “Russian Silver”