For Russian Marks Section Alexander Virjohowsky

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Johny

For Russian Marks Section Alexander Virjohowsky

Post by Johny »

http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/1473/dscn9994.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/8006/dscn9993.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Preferably spell his name like this:

Wyrzykov, Andrzei
or
Vyrzhikovsky, Aleksandr Kasimirovitch
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi -

this is one of the many fakes from Poland.

Explanation for the unknowing:
From 1852 on, an Imperial Russian assay office was functioning in Warzaw and the Russian marking system was in effect.The city mark was the Imperial eagle (often mistaken for Minsk - even by Postnikova-Loseva, the bible for Russian marks) in use 1852-1896.The mark on the left. The mark on the right is the first Kokoshnik mark in use 1899-1908, with the initials of Andrzei Wyrzykov, assay master on duty April 1904-1908. Conclusion: the marks do absolutely not fit!

I would suggest not to move this marks into the archive!

Regards
Postnikov
Johny

reply to Postnikov

Post by Johny »

The mark on the left is technical Fraget's mark, and not the mark of an
Imperial Russian Assay Office. Please find below the picture:

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

As I understand it, Fraget would have been granted the use of the Imperial Eagle as a Trade Mark as the winner of one of the top awards in the All Russia Exhibitions. Below are the results for the Polish entries at the All Russia Exhibition that was held at St Petersburg in 1870. It will be noted that at this exhibition that Fraget won a silver medal, so presumably their success came at a later exhibition.

Trev.
jackk
contributor

Post by jackk »

I don't see anything wrong with these marks. In my opinion 100% legit marks.
silverport
contributor

FRAGET (double headed eagle) ARGENT = Fraget's trade mark

Post by silverport »

Hello

»Double Headed Eagle« mark was awarded to be »Supplier of Imperial Court«, by the administration of the Russian Imperial court, in a ceremonial attitude to supplier who e.g. fulfilled courts quality approach. That has most times happen during official events, e.g. important exhibitions — as it’s here already explained by dognose.

For those reasons were by time and while all important company’s awarded the sign, to be »Supplier of Imperial Court«, who had already shown in the Empire’s economy her qualification. In Poland were these e.g. Norblin, Fraget, and Werner (Norblin’s son in law). Norblin’s professional history has started to be the son of a bronze founder.

The two brethrens Fraget started as salesmen, with her own factory in 1824. Until around the 1850's to 1860 were their product range of hollowware and flatware always in silver — then after they’ve start to make also electroplated products. This was so successful and became their main activity. Then after word by mouth became »Fraget« in Russian Empire synonym for »Plated«.

1924 on Fraget’s Centenary they reintroduced an old cutlery pattern from 1824 — which have got then pattern name »Jubiler« (but then they’ve had galvanic production problems, especially with knives handles). This worth full pattern in his clean and elegant style is now baptized by their successor »HEFRA« (a merger of Henneberg and Fraget: http://www.hefra.pl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) »Duchy of Warsaw«.

Norblin became competitor to Fraget in electroplated products — Werner, his son in law made further more all in silver.

The area of Poland was always the »entrance« to the Market of Russian Empire and its Imperial court. For reason of customs duties, company’s be settled in Warsaw became contractor or hub for e.g. German factory’s. Norblin for Bruckmann, Fraget for Koch & Bergfeld, Plewkiewicz for WMF

So it seems possible, that here shown object, which bear Fraget’s trade mark for silver, is made by Koch & Bergfeld, in Bremen, Germany.

When these men, who have managed her own company’s up to their »Double Headed Eagle’s« Glory and many more, became old, it was a pity to find competent manager or successor owner. I’ve read many of these handwritten letters of hope and bitterness — it is worth that all of these men and their company would get her biographer.

Kind regards silverport
jackk
contributor

Post by jackk »

Thanks Silverport for this information.
silverport
contributor

Fraget Pattern »Jubiler«, »Duchy of Warsaw« and »Venus�

Post by silverport »

Hello

For them who like to get knowledge of Fraget's cutlery pattern »Jubiler«, or now named »Duchy of Warsaw«, look to this topic (photos be contributed by »carla21«):

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ht=carla21" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was so amazed from this simple, clean and elegant style that I've buy a set - in modern terms, its ergonomic handling amazes me to.

The gastronomy that is very often fixed on thread pattern - here is a reliable alternative in style, handling and hygiene. This pattern is also made by »Hefra« in Stainless Steel - that is baptized »Venus«.

Kind regards silverport
silverport
contributor

Fraget's »Eagle« was granted 1896 in Nizhny Novgorod

Post by silverport »

Hello

Fraget was granted the »Eagle« for »Supplier of Imperial Court« during »The All-Russia industrial and art exhibition 1896« in Nizhny Novgorod; which was held from May 28 (June 9) till October 1 (13), 1896.

And 1897 Fraget’s company became Incorporation status.

Kind regards silverport

Return to “Russian Silver”