Funny cyrillic mark on a Latvian cigarette case

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Postnikov
inactive

Funny cyrillic mark on a Latvian cigarette case

Post by Postnikov »

Hi Qrt.S -

here the promised interesting cyrillic (Russian) mark in a Latvian gold cigarette case.

The case

The marks

Latvian mark for local production and gold 585/1000 = 14 carats
Russian mark NP(lat.) for: ne sootvuetstvuet probe dlja solotich, serebrjanich....= does not correspond with the fineness (Russian) mark for Gold, Silber,....
???????????????
What does this mean?

The Russian mark for gold (56 Zolotniki) = 14 carats = 583.33/1000
The Latvian mark for gold 585 = 14 carats = 585/1000
Though it is 1.67 /1000 more Gold than the Russian 56 Zolotniki it was not accepted.
The Russian standards were later adapted to the world standards!

This assaymaster must have been from Helsinki!:-))

Regards and no more winternights
Postnikov
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hi

Smart guy this assayer from Helsinki. Of course he scratched off 1,67/1000 gold and kept it before i marked the item and no harm done to anybody :-)

But really, I haven't the faintest idea what this means, can't know it all you know. But 585/1000=56,16 zolotniki=14,04 carats.

However, I wonder how you read ПН (PN) to latin NP? :-O ? Is your keyboard maybe upside down? Where did you get this explanation for this PN? Actually, is it ПН or could it be НЦ? What would that be?

Nice case anyway.
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi Qrt.S -

sorry for the typo - it must read NP!

Regards
Postnikov

Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi -

maybe I am too old for this: the right answer is PN!!!!!!

Regards
Postnikov
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Definitely, but kindly try to tell me where did you get the explanation to this PN?

(Buy a magnifier ;-))

Regards,
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi Qrt.S -

the original Russian text for PN:

1.) P-L p. 149, # 55
2.) Troepolskaja no entry (!!)
3.) Geoffry Watts even don´t know that this mark exists
4.) E. G. Astwatzaturjan no entry (only Kafkas)

You must read your books better! ;-)

Regards
Postnikov
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hi

Ahaaaa! Thank you Postnikov, I have seen this НП (#55) but I didn't realize to connect these marks with each other because there is no shield with rounded corners in the mark on your cigarette case. Now it seems to makes sense (even to me :-)) or does it? , I still wonder about the missing shield. Hmmmm...is it really the same mark, I wonder...this НП is a rather new mark from the Soviet period (1927)...

Mind my saying but you're wrong about Troepolskaja. Take a look at page 74.

But still I wonder...
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi -

yes saw it, but with shield under communistic marks. The Latvian gold mark in use since 1922 , optical optimized and in this form (like the one of the cigarette case) used since 1927 gives the appr. date when the case could have been imported to the Soviet Union - what I miss is the official import mark. The old import mark was only used until 1917 I think, the new one introduced June 1st 1947. Somewhere between this twenty years the cigarette case crossed the border.
My version: the cigarette case was looted after 1944, brought back to Russia and there checked what it real was - the marks and numbers were unknown to this person - so he seeked official help. The assay guy knew only the Russian gold content - smiled , thinking:" Latvia people nix cultura" and stamped НП.

Regards
Postnikov
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Ohoh, really Postnikov….your solution is rather incredible and far fetched but in those years it could be plausible. I do not really buy it, but I can live with it. Let it be the case's case :-). If I had a better explanation, I.... but I haven't.
bronia

Post by bronia »

Maybe it is Previshenie (over) Normi (standard) - (PN) that means higher percentage of gold
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Interesting point from bronia.

Bronia, is this just your private anticipation or is it based on facts? In the latter case kindly tell us the source.
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi bronia -

thank you for your input, but the original text : Не соответствует прове...is translated to : Does not correspond to....

Regards
Postnikov

Return to “Russian Silver”