Lombardy Polish fork

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi -
now the question is: what are registered manufacturer´s marks?
(The word hallmarks is only used for English silver!)
No. 3 is what I am talking of: plain, unmarked silver (sometimes the original marks were erased), stamped with owl and Polish silver content mark and than "russified". I do not know if the Polish assay office stamp fakes - than No. 2 is working.
Why selling fakes to Pawn shops? Internet is much better!

Regards
Postnikov
jackk
contributor

Post by jackk »

I had just a little time to skim through all the postings in this thread. If I missed something important please forgive me.
I have to disagree with Postnikov.
We had multiple silver piece in our house that had numerous Warsaw hallmarks under Russian occupation and also Polish counter stamps (woman's head) and Lombard mark. And I am talking 20-30 years ago, where the market for counterfeiting was virtually non-existing!

I believe both forks are original.
Stantheman

Post by Stantheman »

Hi,

I don't really understand this whole discussion. All the photos show original signatures, none of them is fake. I collect polish silver and got dozens of them, also ones by Antoni Riedel and the silversmith Kacper Zagórowski from whom Riedel took his maker's mark which shows stirrup (not a bell as somebody wrote before).

In simple words: The pawn mark showing the owl's head was used on every silver item that was on the market at the time and bearried different marks than the national (Polish) ones, especially older and foreign marks. Obviously this is true if the seller acted legally and before selling took the silver piece to assayer's office.

Suggesting that Poland is motherland of fakes is little bit exaggerated. But suggesting Poles' inclination to overuse alcohol might be considered offensive.

Postnikov you seem little bit prejudiced to Polish silver items. Besides why would anyone make silver fake spoons if original ones cost about 20-40$?

Best regards!

Return to “Russian Silver”