Russian Silver beaker/ Kiddush cup w Contraindictory marks ?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rob h

Russian Silver beaker/ Kiddush cup w Contraindictory marks ?

Post by rob h »

This beaker/cup is app. 3 " high and 1 1/4" wide at top. The cartouche marks seem to indicate it was the second kokoshnik mark assayed in Kiev between 1908-1926. But the makers mark is similar to one used between 1870 -1880 from Odessa. Also I am not sure what type of vessel this is ? Can someone please help ?

Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Hi!

In the picture it looks that the letter could well be 'Chi' for Odessa. The left bracket down might have not been struck well or has been worn out. In my references I didn't find the makers mark but you probably have found it somewhere else. I beaker is a typical vodka beaker.

Regards,
Juke
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Just to add that most likely it is not the one which you refer to (from 1870-1880) as he worked 30-40 years earlier but an unknown silversmith. It is typical that all the silversmiths are not known as the the number of silversmiths increased dramatically in later periods like 1908-1926
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I have also tried to find out about this mark, but unfortunately with poor results. I'm not fully convinced (yet) that it is Odessa's cipher. Its cipher very similar to chi but it is the written kappa (K) letter. The cipher chi is for Don and therefore we should maybe look at Astrakhan, but I haven't found anything there either.

With some fantasy the cipher could also be the written ni for Kiev, but...? Nothing found there...

Is there any marks behind the neck and/or below the chin e.g. dot(s), dash or anything?
Juke
contributor

Post by Juke »

Hi!

I am sure you are correct on the kappa, in PL I could not decide if it is a chi or kappa but then it is a kappa. Aren't the dot's/dash's for the circular mark only?

Regards,
Juke
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Yes, you're right, its only for the circular mark, sorry. So we have tree possibilities here, Kiev, Odessa and Don and no match whatsoever, strange...

Return to “Russian Silver”