Help with Russian silver snuff box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
rat-tail
contributor

Help with Russian silver snuff box

Post by rat-tail »

Please could someone help me identify the maker and period of this Russian silver snuff box. I would estimate guess 19th century, but pre Zelotnik (?) mark. Stamped on the lid with ABI or ABJ and the assay master's mark is all but obliterated. I may be able to see moscow in the dots but may be imagining it. In the base is ABand a smudge, 84 and what looks like a dancer or a woman pointing. My apologies, but found it very difficult to photograph inside the box. And help is appreciated - Regards Frank

Mark in lid

Marks in box
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Well Frank, its essential to have a better picture of the last of your photos. However, it looks like Moscow and the time frame might be 1851-1872. Unfortunately ABJ (?) is unfamiliar to me. But kindly explain what you mean with ... but pre Zelotnik (?) mark.. The Zololotnik mark is the 84 and that is the 875/1000 silver quality mark.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Ah, ZOLOTNIK I meant to write.
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

Hi Qrt.S
I shall try to take some more pictures in natural light tomorrow, but it's a bit difficult - you need four hands. The assayers mark on the lid though is pretty much gone unfortunately.

And I'm sorry for getting my terms wrong, I meant the woman's head mark which I think came out in 1896. Forgive me for being a bit of a peasant on this one.

Many thanks Frank
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

No problem Frank, this is a rather difficult area. Anyway, the woman's head is called kokoshnik, in other words a Russian ladies' diadem. I'll wait for better photos.
rat-tail
contributor

Post by rat-tail »

hi I don't know if these help. I suspect the marks are just too far gone for anything conclusive. And the ones inside the box really difficult to photograph - you're always working in your own shadow. But any thoughts appreciated. Thanks Frank

On the lid

in the box

Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Hate to say it, but I'm unable to tell you more than I already did. The marks unfortunately are too worn, sorry.

Return to “Russian Silver”