Estonian cigarette case from mid-1900's

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
TXFI

Estonian cigarette case from mid-1900's

Post by TXFI »

hi,

I have a silver cigarette case which based on blakstone's posting I have been able to identify possibly to be made by Tallinna Juveelitehas ("Tallinn Jewel Factory") in Estonia around 1950's.

I gather that 875 means that it is 87.5% silver and the "H" (greek alphabet eta) is the mark of the assay office in Tallinn. I was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me:

- what does the woman's profile between 875 and H mean?
- does anyone recognize the other stamp, possibly the maker's mark?

I couldn't find such a maker's mark from here: http://www.proovikoda.ee/register/otsing.php, either.

Thank you!

JAKJO
co-admin

Post by JAKJO »

Welcome to the forum TXFI,

This cigarette case was produced, as you write, during the Soviet era, in my opinion before 1958, when the "hammer and sickle" mark was introduced.

It depicts a view of the Toompea Castle & Tall Hermann’s Tower built in the 13th -14th centuries.

While I lack the knowledge to comment on this case, I move the post to the Russian section.

Best regards/JAKJO
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

This cigarette case was most likely produced between 1946-1954 in Tallinn, capital of (Soviet state) Estonia. The woman's head is called "rabota" (female worker) and was the Soviet hallmark mark during the period of 1927-1954.

Unfortunately I cannot identify the maker's mark being from Tallinn. A possible explanation might be that the cipher H was also used by the assay office in Jerevan in Armenia during 1927-1946 alongside with the "rabota". Here is an overlap. The maker's mark looks a bit exotic to me. I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time..:-) Yes I'm aware of that the picture shows the Toompea castle etc., but I'm still unable to identify the mark.

Return to “Russian Silver”