Need help with Russian (Imperial?) mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
celticgrian

Need help with Russian (Imperial?) mark

Post by celticgrian »

Recentley came across this piece, think its Imperial Russian, know more about the Russian Revolution than I know about Hallmarks, Have looked at loads of marks but its so confusing.
I can make out the makers mark on this spoon and it's TE, then the essay mark says what looks like H three (HIII) but it's written in cryllic so I have no idea what that means but it is over top of the year 1853. I know what the 84 means but the stags head (town mark?)also thru me for a loop and I have no idea what it means. Can anyone help me ID this please? Thanks in advance!

http://community.webshots.com/album/566886588AGuiyl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Imperial Russian, but not Russian per se. The stag's head was the city mark of Jelgava (German = Mitau), which is now in the independent country of Latvia. The assayer "HIII" is Nikolaus Schultz, who ran the Jelgava office 1851-1854. The maker "TE" is Theodor Eggink, master 1851, died 1866.

Hope this helps!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Mind my asking again blakstone, but where do you find the information that Nikolai Ivanovich Schulz was assaying in Jelgava 1851-1854. In my books he did work as an assayer but only in Toula 1856-1860. This means that he was according to your source working earlier i Jelgava, which of course is quite possible, but where can I find this information? I would really appreciate if you could tell me that.
blakstone
contributor

Post by blakstone »

Baltisches Silber by Annelore Leistikow. It's a great reference of makers & marks in Estonia & Latvia.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Thank you. That's what I thought, but unfortunately that book is rather difficult to find nowadays.

Have a nice day

Return to “Russian Silver”