Russian Artels.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
paulh
contributor

Russian Artels.

Post by paulh »

This is a Russian spoon made in Moscow around 1910 and is the product of the “9th Artel”. I know that Artels were “guilds” of craftsmen of various skills and the 9th Artel were the engravers, but I have not been able to find any more information, other than a few small references in various books on Russian Silver. Does anyone know anything about the Artels and the 9th Artel in particular.

Paul.

Funkel
contributor

Post by Funkel »

Perhaps this will be useful.
Greetings

Quizás pueda servirle esto
Un saludo

Postnikova-Loseva
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I'm afraid that there is very little written regarding the artels in Russia. It is an area which is hardly at all investigated yet. All I know in addition to the already mentioned is, that the 9A artel was active 1910-1916. The work in the artels was unique and the opposite to mass production.

To my knowledge there were 34 artels in all of which 2 in Kiev, 4 in St: Petersburg and the rest i Moscow (?).

The most famous of the artels was the 1st Silver Artel i St: Petersburg 1914-1915, the 1яA Silver Artel in Moscow (former Julius Rappoports workshop 1Ю) and the 1st Jewelry and Engraving Artel i Kiev ~1900-?

I'm not fully sure of all I wrote above. Please feel free to make amendments Every addition is appreciated.
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi

a little bit about the Artels - one could write a book about them and what they fabricated. In short: Artels were a kind of cooperative of different makers who tried to minimize their costs and maximize the quality of their work.

In Moscow: 1st A - 1899-1908, 1st A, 2nd A, 4th A, 5th A, 6th A, 7th A, 8th, 9th A, 11th A, 13th A,14th A, 15th A, 18th A, 20th A, 22nd A, 23rd A, 25th A, 28th A, 29th A - all 1908

Kostroma: 1st A - 1899-1908

St. Petersburg: 2nd A - 1908

Kiev: 1st A, 2nd A - all 1908

They worked in silver, gold enamel, kristall. Every Artel had a speciality, for example: tea glass holder, sugar bowls, salts, tea and cofee urnes, oklads for icons, flatware etc.etc.

The 1st, 3rd, 6th, 7th, 8th, 11th and 20th Artel in Moscow were famous for their enamel cloisonné work.You can distinguish the different Artels by the colours they used.
Exampel: 6th Artel - the objects are completely coveredwith enamel, the cells painted in shades, colours traditional: olive-green, blue or cream. 11th Artel - complete enamel covering, Art nouveau influence with triangular and rectangular enamel cells, volutes, spirals, silver beads, green, ochre, violet-and-cream tints in a hazy "water-colour" style. Etc. etc.

I must always lough when I see in some auction houses very nice enamel cigarette cases from 18th or 22nd Artel Moscow - 18th or 22nd Artel did not work in enamel!

Hope this enlightened the role of the Artels.

Regards
Postnikov
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi -

to give a better example of the manufacturing quality/ability of the Artels I will show a kovsh, an oval traditional Russian drinking vessel with side handle, similar to a ladle or "dipper". In old Russian handicrafts the kovsh was carved in wood, in the form of a swimming duck or goose whose head and bill constituted the handle. Vessels similar to the Russian kovsh were made in Scandinavia, called kasa in Sweden and sölvgass (silvergoose) in Norway.

A kovsh made by 20th Artel

If you see a kovsh without marks on the handle - it is a fake!

Kokoshnik 1908-17(26), Moscow, 88 Zolotniki = 916.67/1000
20A = 20th Artel

The 20th Artel was similar to the 11th Artel (see my article above) in its Art nouveau style, often too with quite traditional flowers alongside the Art nouveau bands. Shaded blues.

Regards
Postnikov
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi -

due to the great interest here is a complete list with all the known marks and some more informations.

Regards
Postnikov
RJ99352

Re: Russian Artels.

Post by RJ99352 »

I managed to acquire a pair of spoons that bear the mark of the fourth artel from St. Petersburg. Any info about this artel (1914 - 1917) would be appreciated. Will try to get good photos of front of spoons and the two marks on the back.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi,

Herewith a link to perhaps some usefull information about the Artels:
http://www.silvercollection.it/dictionaryartels.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Oel
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi paulh -
your photosdo not show up! Please post them again. One have to see the marks and the quality to decide if it is realy made by the 9th Artel - many fakes around.

Regards
Zolotnik

Return to “Russian Silver”