Unknown assayer from Odessa

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Ubaranda
contributor

Unknown assayer from Odessa

Post by Ubaranda »

Hello!
Maybe anybody knows about Odessa's assayer I.K 1885?
Thanks in advance.
Qrt.S
contributor

Re: Unknown assayer from Odessa

Post by Qrt.S »

This is an interesting case indeed. I thought I knew all assayers in Odessa. At first glance I assumed that the initials were TK. That would have been Timofei Kopanev but no, they are undoubtedly IK. In addition, Kopanev's working period does not match it was later than 1885. Anyway, I looked into all my sources in order to find this mysterious IK but there is not a single assayer in my knowledge that would have used the initials IK in his mark. Moreover, I don't either know who the maker ИГ could be...strange...very strange indeed. Very sorry Ubaranda maybe Dad or Zolotnik has answer to you I don't.

It is not totally excluded that it would be a fake but I don't think so because nothing indicates that but?...
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi ubaranda -

I have several objects of this maker ИГ in my collection, assayed by different assay masters in the years from 1880 until 1900 - but there is no IK assayer among them. Both are unknown to me. Sorry.

Regards
Zolotnik
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

Hi all!

I found! I.K - Иероним (Iеронимъ) Иванович Кондратович (Ieronim Ivanovich Kondratovich), the head of Odessa'a assay office in 1885. Then, in 1877-1899, he worked in the mining industry of the Kingdom of Poland, and since 1906 he was a member of the State Duma of Russia.

Best regards! Alex.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Nice doing dear Ubaranda. However, I'd like to ask some more about IK if you don't mind.
-What is the source of this finding?
-Was IK only one year in Odessa or what was his working period there?
-How could he be in two places at the same time. In Odessa 1885 but also in the "Kingdom of Poland" 1877-1899?
-In addition, what do you mean with "Kingdom of Poland"? There is no sovereign "Kingdom of Poland" after the third split of this country in 1795 between Russia, Prussia and Austria. Poland as we know it today regained its independence not earlier than in 1918.

just asking my good man, just asking...

rgds

Qrt.S
Ubaranda
contributor

Post by Ubaranda »

HI Qrt.S!

My sources:
http://russmin.narod.ru/bioMinz08.html
http://www.tez-rus.net/ViewGood9962.html

"How could he be in two places at the same time..."- it's my mistake :-(. Must be 1887-1899.

"Kingdom of Poland" - Poland in the Russian Empire (Царство Польское в составе Российской империи).

Best regards. Alex.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

OK, thanks, excellent work. One unknown assayer less. Unfortunately the list of unknown Russian assayers is still quite long. Are you interested in seeing the list? If so, kindly tell me via a PM your email address.

Return to “Russian Silver”