Cigarette case - D.P. Nikitin?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gabca33

Cigarette case - D.P. Nikitin?

Post by gabca33 »

Hello,
This cigarette case belonged to my late mother-in-law, who lived in Poland. There are total of four marks inside the case, two on each side.
One of the marks is same on both half's with the initials of "DN" inside rectangle (sorry I'm not sure how to insert the Cyrillic letters).
One of the other marks is a right profile with number 84, in oval, and the last mark is a right profile, round shape.
Can this be work of D.P. Nikitin? Is this piece authentic?
Also, does anyone know if this can be repaired? Especially the missing "button" to open the case.

Image Image Image
Zolotnik

Re: Cigarette case - D.P. Nikitin?

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi gabca33 -

the cigarette case is authentic and made by Nikitin - he was known for his "different" enamel work. A silversmith can fix your push button problem.
I enclose a cigarette case from my collection to show his typical style.

Regards
Zolotnik
gabca33

Post by gabca33 »

Thank you Zolotnik for you reply. I'm happy that this is an original piece. I will try to have it repaired and cleaned. The cigarette case you have is beautiful!
Thank you,
Gabriela
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

Sorry but I don't think it is Nikitin. The maker's mark differs too much from his mark. I would say that the maker is Dimitry Nikolayevich Nikolayev. He had a big factory in Moscow and was active around 1897~1917. He is know for his cloisonné enamel in art nouveau style and influence. This influence can be seen in the pattern in this case.
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi all -
I really do not like this permanent "bite reflex" ! There is a big difference if you only see marks in some books and try to stubbornly interprete them (.. what you believe is what you see..) or if you have several original objects (from different spans) of the different masters. The difference lies also in the sujet, technique and quality of the work. Nikitin is more "modern and innovative" - Nikolajew is more "traditional and old school". As always I enclose some example from my collection to proof what I explain. (We collectors have an effective motto: no photos (proofs) - it has not happened!).

The two different masters and their marks from the books (note red arrows):

The marks of the two different masters in reality (note red arrows):
Nikitin

Nikolajew

The different styles, colours and techniques would be the next theme.....

Regards
Zolotnik
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

First of all Nikolayev is particularly known for his art nuoveau objects Nikitin is not. This is such a case. The marks in the books are not freehand drawings they are so called soot marks i.e. soot copies of original marks. Maybe your case is a fake? Feel free to keep your opinion and I keep mine. Let the readers make their own conclusions!

Nikitin, the case, Nikolayev

gabca33

Post by gabca33 »

Hello,
Thank you all for your replies. I have found a few similar cases on the Internet, some saying Nikitin some Nikolayev. But some was the work of Nikolai Tarabrov, like this case:

Is it possible that silversmiths copied their work? Or maybe they worked together? The polar bear detail is almost identical.

Thank You!
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

In Russia everything was/is possible!
gabca33

Post by gabca33 »

:)))) so true!
Zolotnik

Post by Zolotnik »

Hi gabca33 -

same model but from Nikolajew. For different makers but same mdel see: http://925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=37892

Regards
Zolotnik
gabca33

Post by gabca33 »

Thank you Zolotnik! Interesting post. Probably same thing happened with the cigarette cases.

Return to “Russian Silver”