The Highlanders Museum
Fort George, Ardersier
Inverness IV2 7TD
The Highlanders’ Museum (Queen’s Own Highlanders Collection)
The Highlanders’ Museum (Queen’s Own Highlanders Collection) covers three floors of Fort George’s former Lieutenant Governors’ House. The museum has roughly 20,000 artefacts and an estimated 10,000 documents and photographs. The museum is the largest regimental museum in Scotland, outside of Edinburgh.
The Highlanders are the descendants of four famous Scottish Regiments originally raised from the Clans and communities of the Highlands and Islands in the late 1700’s. The Highlanders Battalion of the Royal Regiment of Scotland, (4 SCOTS), today incorporates the world-famous names of the Seaforth Highlanders, The Queen’s Own Cameron Highlanders and the Queen’s Own Highlanders (Seaforth and Camerons). The Museum represents all these famous Regiments except for The Gordon Highlanders who have their own museum in Aberdeen.
The museum includes items from the Lovat Scouts and Liverpool Scottish as well as our Allied Regiments from Canada, Australia, New Zealand and the Gurkhas.
Opening hours: Summer 1st April - 30th September 9.30am - 4.45pm - Winter 1st October - 31st March 10.00am - 3.15pm Closed at weekends December and January.
Admission: Admission to the Highlanders’ Museum (Queen’s Own Highlanders Collection) is free but you must pay an admission charge to visit Fort George. Adult - £9.00