Arts & Crafts silver and enamel salt and spoon

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
ktiggeloven

Arts & Crafts silver and enamel salt and spoon

Post by ktiggeloven »

Hi everybody,

i have some trouble trying to decypher a mark on an Arts & Crafts salt and spoon I have in my collection. Both have a mark of what looks like a sailing ship. the salt is also marked with sterling. Stylewise i would point the salts origin more towards the British isles, but as it's not bearing a full set of hallmarks, I think it's smarter to start my search among the American silversmiths of that period. If anybody knows this mark, I'd be very grateful.
photo's are below

Thanks in advance for any help,
kind regards,

Kasper
dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: Arts & Crafts silver and enamel salt and spoon

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi Kaspar ~ must admit to a bit of 'silver envy' here... Your lovely set is American, made by Cleveland School silversmith Mildred Watkins (1883-1968), the link below will tell you a bit about her.

~Cheryl

Enamel Arts Foundation - Mildred G. Watkins
ktiggeloven

Post by ktiggeloven »

Thanks for your info Cheryl. It was nice to read a little bit about Mildred's history.
I already had a feeling they were nice pieces. I actually have another salt and spoon of the same design, but the enamel on that salt is quite damaged. However, as it is by a prominent silversmith, it might be worth to have it restored.
Thanks again so much for the info. I can now further research the pieces.
kind regards,

Kasper
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Was very nice to see, shame about the damaged salt... As soon as the pictures showed up, immediately thought of either her or Potter - don't underestimate the talents of American Arts & Crafts metalsmiths, they produced some some stunning pieces, and the women were well represented.

~Cheryl

Return to “Arts & Crafts Smiths ~ American Handwrought after-1900”