W.W. Peabody jelly server

Item must be marked "Sterling" or "925"
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
finnegan

W.W. Peabody jelly server

Post by finnegan »

Hey all,
Found this piece in at a NY market. Never heard of the maker and my refs don't show him. When I saw it, thought it would have German marks on the back, ya gotta admit, it looks more Jugendstil than American Arts & Crafts.
Has anyone heard of Mr. Peabody? Or seen any other examples of his work. Don't think he was a hobbyist, the workmanship of this is pretty accomplished.
Fin

DLT

Post by DLT »

reply to Finnegan re his Peabody query of 5/27/05: William Whitman Peabody was the spoonmaker for George Gebelein in Boston but also had a small shop at his home in Amesbury, MA. There is a newspaper article about him in the Newburyport, MA Daily News for April 6, 1934. The article says that at that time he had completed nearly 45 years as a spoonmaker. Started with a 4-year apprenticeship in Boston. His shop known as Peabody Craft Shop.
Dave Thomas
finnegan

Post by finnegan »

Hey Dave,
Wow, thanks, I'd given up hope on this one. With your info, I got a return from google that mentioned him as being listed in Who Was Who in American Art.
William W. Peabody, Amesbury MA (b.1873) Head of Peabody Craft Shop, maker of solid silver flatware. Member of the Boston Society of Arts & Crafts (master craftsman) and the Philadelphia Arts & Crafts Guild. Studied with T. Resterich

Great to know, many thanks.
Fin

ps. now I'm wondering who T. Resterich was.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Although not complete by any means, here is a chronological account of William W Peabody's career:

1896 Driver National Ex Co Gardner, Massachusetts
1898 Silversmith Gardner, Massachusetts
1900 Silversmith Gardner, Massachusetts
1901 emp F W Smith Gardner, Massachusetts
1910 Foreman silver factory Keene, New Hampshire
1911 Foreman Newburyport Silver Co, Keene, New Hampshire
1913 Removed to Boston
1917 Foreman Towle Mfg Co Newburyport, Massachusetts
1925 through 1945 Silversmith Amesbury, Massachusetts
ceil10

Re: W.W. Peabody jelly server

Post by ceil10 »

i have a large serving spoon with this same marks as your jelly server it looks like it is a pattern feather edge would send a picture but i don't no how to . the spoon measures 9 1/4 in long the bowl is 3 1/2 wide by 2 1/2 long large berry spoon i use it for mashed potatoes. would love to hear from you.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Vayne

Post by Vayne »

Actually, I'm very glad someone could identify this, because I really love it and would like to keep an eye out for items from this maker. There is something about the markers that really speak to me. I'm going to go google what was suggested to you, but thank you again for posting this and those who responded. It is always nice to find something worth seeking out.
silverly

Post by silverly »

A couple more items from primary sources to add about WW Peabody:

Listed in the 1946 Amesbury Directories as a silversmith

The 1949 Amesbury Directory shows that he had died on Apr 6, 1947
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

NEW ENGLAND NOTES

Concord, N. H.—W. W. Peabody, of West Gardner, Mass., who recently met with an accident at the Durgin silverware factory, was in town this week looking up old friends and acquaintances.

Source: The Jewelers Review - 3rd May 1899

Trev.

Return to “Arts & Crafts Smiths ~ American Handwrought after-1900”