Isaac Manheim

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
GregHodgson1
contributor

Isaac Manheim

Post by GregHodgson1 »

Isaac Manheim – Silver Importer and Musician

I believe (although pure conjecture on my part) that he was a seller of small Dutch import silver. All the pieces I could find with his mark through various auction houses/sites and references would easily fit into a pocket. I could not find any shop or store front where he operated and he is not listed in the London Silversmith guides I have (Marks of London Goldsmiths & Silversmiths – John Fallon – or listed on the research being carried out on Grimwades book - as he did not make silver).

I have found an Isaac Manheim who lived at 37 Alfred Place, Fitzrovia in 1881 and 6 Grafton Place in 1901 just by the side of the British Museum. He was born in Alkmaar, Netherlands around 1846 which would fit with his importing only Dutch silver. He was married to an English girl named Betsy (from Middlesex) and had they had 2 daughters, Christina and Flora. His profession is listed as Musician and as such may have sold small objects on his travels.

The house at Alfred Place appears to have been owned by Isaac but he rented out rooms to a number of lodgers – including another musician and an Italian singer. His mother also lived at the house together with two servants.

He had two daughters who were born in Alkmaar, Netherlands in 1877 and 1878.

When they moved to Grafton Place, only his wife and daughter, Flora were living with him at this time. He did however still have one servant and 2 lodgers who were both Dutch.

Floras Children:

Isaac Manheim played the Violin and Flora play the viola. She was the lead at the Winter Ladies Orchestra. One of the lodgers at Grafton Place was Simon Von Lier, a violinist from Holland. He went on to found the Eastbourne Grand Hotel Orchestra. Flora moved to his orchestra as they were having a relationship. They had a daughter, Felicia who was born in 1902 and a further daughter, Beatrix born in 1910. The year Simon and Flora were married. A third daughter, Edora was born in 1913.

In 1927 Simon and Flora split and she went back to the Netherlands and purchased a house in Scheveningen with her daughters.

Both Felicia and Beatrix married. Beatrix’s husband was sent to Auschwitz as was both Felicia and her husband. They did not survive. Beatrix was on the Barneveld List and survived the war with her three sons.

The third daughter Edora (Dori) immigrated to the US in 1938 where she married. She died in 2004.

I have yet to find out further information about Isaac but will continue looking.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Isaac Manheim

Post by dognose »

Excellent post Greg, many thanks for sharing this information with us.

From 'The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths, Jewellers & Allied Traders 1838-1914' by John Culme:

Isaac MANHEIM

Isaac Manheim is recorded in succession at 218, Tottenham Court Road, W (26-11-1895), 6, Grafton Place, Eusten Square, NW (14-9-1897), 177, Blythe Road, West Kensington, W (16-10-1905), and 90, Pevensey Road, Eastbourne, Sussex (business and private 9-3-1907).

See: Isaac Solomon Manheim, apparently the same individual.

Isaac Solomon MANHEIM

Isaac Solomon Manheim is recorded at 38, Finsbury Square, EC (23-12-1886)

In Volume II of the above work images of Isaac Solomon Manheim's mark 'I.S.M', entered on the 23rd December 1886, withdrawn on the 26th November 1895. The mark of Isaac Manheim, 'IM' entered on the 26th November 1895.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

On April 2nd, a good miscellaneous and orchestral concert was given in aid of St. Luke’s House, Osnaburgh Street, “ A home for the dying poor ”; surely a charity so sacred as to command the sympathy and liberality of all. The principals were Mdlle. Marie Vagnolini, Miss Florence Ogil , Madame Lena Law, Mr. Herbert Emlyn, Mr. W. A. Peterkin; solo violin, Miss Flora Manheim; solo violoncello, Miss Muriel Handley; all doing excellent work. Mr. Heath Mills, with marked skill and artistic tact, ably conducted the excellent orchestra, a body of 70 or more efficient performers, who give Saturday Concerts in the same Hall during a large portion of the year, and render valuable musical aid to the labours of the Wesleyan West End Mission. The works performed were on the popular side, including Wallace’s Overture to “Maritana,” Ambroise Thomas's Overture to "Raymond," and selections from Gounod's “Romeo and Juliet,” and Wagner’s “Tannhauser.” These pieces were rendered with such care and good effect, as evidenced not only the artistic and painstaking influence of the able director, but also displayed such power on the part of the players as would justify further advances into the field of classical orchestral music. It was impossible to listen to so good an orchestra, without reflecting upon the advantages secured for the lovers of all types of instrumental music, now within reach of sympathetic listeners in this great metropolis. A word of praise must be added regarding the artistic accompaniments of Mr. F. R. Kinkee.

Source: Musical News - 16th April 1898

Trev.
GregHodgson1
contributor

Post by GregHodgson1 »

Many thanks Trev for the information. All great stuff to work on. A little envious of your library/resources!

I will construct a timeline of his movements to get a clearer picture of his travels and hopefully come up with further useful tidbits to contribute to the site.

Merry Christmas all.

Greg
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Flora Manheim was the daughter of Isaac Salomon Manheim & Betsy Andrew Aronson. Around 1879/80 the Manheim family emigrated to England. The British Census Houshold Record reports that established in 1881 at the address 37 Alfred Place, Camden Town, London located Isaac Manheim, 37 y o, b. Alkmaar, Musician; Betsy Manheim, 30 y o wife.; Cristina Manheim 4 y o, daughter; Flora Manheim 3 y.o., daughter; - And also eight other residents. Father Isaac was a violinist and Flora became a violist. She led the Winter Ladies' Orchestra

https://www.joodsmonument.nl/nl/page/44 ... haar-gezin

https://www.joodsmonument.nl/nl/page/14 ... er-manheim
Dave101

Post by Dave101 »

Think I have a couple pieces , found them today...any input would be much appreciated.
I don't even know what they are called. How do I post pictures on here?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please start a new topic in an appropriate section of the forum.

The below should help you:

How to Add Images

Posting Requirements

https://postimages.org (copy the 'Hotlink for forums' code) is recommended. Do not use Photobucket or Dropbox.

Ensure your images are embedded. Do not post links. Remember to use the 'Preview' button before submitting your post.

For more information see:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 82#p103282

Give some time to creating your posts and we'll give some time to researching and answering them.

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”