DEATH OF MAJOR C. W. BAILEY
Head of Philadelphia Jewelry Concern Succumbs to Heart Disease in Atlantic City, N. J., Home
Philadelphia, Pa., Dec. 10.—Major Charles W. Bailey, president of the Bailey, Banks & Biddle Co., jewelers on Chestnut St., died in Atlantic City yesterday. Death was due to heart disease.
Major Bailey was 61 years old. He became ill last September, and was apparently regaining his health. He went to the shore about two weeks ago.
He was the third member of the Bailey family in direct descent to engage in the business of manufacturing jewelry and silver in this city. Major Bailey devoted a great deal of his time to the manufacturing end of his firm's business. No arrangements for the funeral have been made. Major Bailey's home in this city was at the southeast corner of 16th and Locust Sts.
He was born in this city on Oct. 20, 1861. In April, 1884, he married Miss Anne Sloan, daughter of Andrew J. Sloan, a member of the old carpet concern of McCallum, Crease & Sloan. They had two daughters, Mrs. Emile Bailey Knowles and the Baroness Beatrice von Wullerstorff. The baroness died in Sept., 1921.
Ever since he entered business Major Bailey devoted all his time to manufacturing jewelry. He learned his trade with Edward S. Lawyer. He later formed a partnership with Lawyer under the firm name of Bailey & Lawyer. After Lawyer's death he continued the business under the name of E. S. Lawyer Co. He later became a member of the Bailey, Banks & Biddle Co., and when it was incorporated in 1894 he became vicepresident and treasurer. After the death of his father, Joseph T. Bailey, he succeeded to the presidency.
In 1917 President Wilson appointed Mr. Bailey a major in the ordnance department. He resigned shortly afterwards to become a director of ship equipment in Hog Island. He resigned from this position on Jan. 1, 1919. Major Bailey was noted for his creative and building abilities. The 12-story factory of the firm on Sansom St., above 12th St., is said to be one of the best of its kind in the country.
Major Bailey spent the Summer on his estate at Hyannis on Cape Cod. He became ill about the middle of September. He was the owner of a majority of the stock in the company which was founded by his grandfather. The present Bailey, Banks & Biddle Co. is a descendant of the firm of Bailey & Kitchen, founded by Major Bailey's grandfather at 136 Chestnut St. in 1832. The firm remained under this name until 1846, when it became known as Bailey & Co. In 1859 its establishment was moved to 819 Chestnut St., remaining there until 1869, when it was removed to 12th and Chestnut Sts.
In 1878 the firm name was changed to Bailey, Banks & Biddle and in 1894 it became the Bailey, Banks & Biddle Co. In 1904 the store was moved to its present site at 1218-20-22 Chestnut St.
Major Bailey was very fond of boating, and was the owner of a houseboat, Peggy. He was frequently in southern waters, where he spent his Winters. He also had an estate of several hundred acres on the James river in Virginia which, during the war, was taken over by the government as an artillery proving ground and balloon school.
He was a member of the Art Club, Rittenhouse Club, Colonial Society of Pennsylvania, Corinthian Yacht Club, Philadelphia Country Club, Merion Cricket Club, Union League, Sons of the Revolution and the Military Order of Foreign Wars, Hyannis Port Yacht and Country Club, Metabetchouan Club of Canada, Sea View Golf Club, Chevy Chase Club of Washington, Bachelor's Barge Club, Atlantic Country Club, New York Yacht Club, Automobile Club of America, Army Athletic Association, and the Halifax River Yacht Club of Florida.
Major Bailey is also survived by a brother and sister, Joseph Trowbridge Bailey, of New York, and Mrs. Emile Bailey Aymar.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 13th December 1922