Medicine Spoons

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Medicine Spoons

Post by dognose »

GIBSON'S MEDICINAL SPOON

SPOON FOR ADMINISTERING MEDICINE

The Silver Isis Medal was presented to Mr. G. Gibson, 71, Bishopsgate Street, for a Spoon for administering Medicine, which has been placed in the Society's Repository.

In administering medicine in an open spoon to fractious children or to insane persons, part of it is often lost from the struggles of the patient. To remedy this inconvenience, and thus to bring the quantity of medicine given to greater certainty, Mr. Gibson has invented a covered spoon, represented in fig. 12, Plate I.

The bowl of the spoon is covered, except just at the extremity w, where there is an orifice for the discharge of the fluid ; in the cover is a flap t, with a hinge, which is opened in order to pour in the medicine; the handle v is round and perforated, opening externally, and also into the bowl. In order to use it, the medicine is to be poured into the bowl, and the spoon is so to be held in the hand that the thumb may cover the hole at the end of the handle, and two of the fingers may press against the disk u, so as to have a firmer hold; the spoon is then to be thrust sufficiently far into the patient's mouth, the thumb is to 'be withdrawn, and the pressure of the air will immediately force the medicine out of the spoon into the patient's throat.

Source: Transactions of the Society - Royal Society of Arts - 1828

It frequently happens that children cannot be persuaded to take medicines; and instances have occurred, and one of them within my own knowledge, in which the little invalids have fallen victims to the disease, from a reluctance to employ force in administering the medicines to a sick child. To enable medicines to be given, in such cases, with as little force as possible, the author suggested a Medicinal-spoon, which is now very generally employed for administering medicines to children*; and it answers equally well for insane persons, when they refuse to take food or medicines. It consists of a spoon (a), with a

hollow handle (d), opening at the top (e), and also into the bowl of the spoon, which is covered with a hinged lid (c), but is open at the apex (b). The spoon is made in the form of a wedge, in order to force the teeth apart when resistance is made to its introduction into the mouth; and it is rounded at the corners to avoid injuring the tongue and gums. When any fluid is poured into the spoon, and the lid shut down, the pressure of the atmosphere upon the fluid, at the opening (d), near the apex, prevents it from running out of the spoon, as long as the orifice at the upper end of the handle is firmly compressed by the thumb of any person; but as soon as the thumb is removed, the fluid is projected with considerable force from the spoon. When the spoon is to be used, the head of the child must be steadied by an attendant, who should also compress the nostrils, which obliges the mouth to be opened for the facility of breathing. The spoon (a) is then introduced into the mouth of the child by another person holding it in one hand, in the manner represented in the cut (b c), and at the same time keeping down the arms of the child with his other hand. The back of the spoon is then to be gently pressed upon the tongue, and the thumb (c) being removed from the opening of the

handle, the air rushes in, and projects the medicines into the gullet, whence it is instantly conveyed into the stomach. It is scarcely necessary to say that this Spoon should be regarded only as the last resort, and should not be employed until the Physician has endeavoured in vain to persuade the little patient to take the medicine by rendering it more palatable, or has substituted another for it.

* The first spoon of this description was made according to the author's directions by Mr. Gibson, a silversmith in the City, who, two or three years afterwards, claimed it as his own invention, and received, as a reward, the gold medal of the Society for the encouragement of Arts; since which time it has been sold as Gibson's Medicinal-spoon. The author mentions this fact, not to obtain for himself any merit for the invention, but to shew the shameless claims which are sometimes set up; and the manner in which Societies, established for the public benefit, are often imposed upon.

Source: The Domestic Management of the Sick-room, Necessary in Aid of Medical Treatment for the Cure of Diseases - Anthony Todd Thomson M.D., F.L.S. - 1841

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Gibson's Medicinal Spoon

Post by dognose »

The above report in the Transactions of the Society appears to have a misprint regarding the silversmith's initial. The silversmith was Charles Gibson of 71, Bishopsgate Street Within (see: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 46&p=80023 )

These spoons are found with "C. Gibson, Inventor, 71 Bishopsgate St. Within" engraved upon them together with London hallmarks. Later Birmingham examples have been noted by John Tongue. The spoons were later made by other firms and in other metals.

London 1826 example

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

GIBSON'S MEDICAL SPOON

To the Editors of the London Journal of Arts, etc.

GENTLEMEN,–As you have not yet furnished an account of the new medical Spoon, and as the modesty of the ingenious inventor may prevent the publicity, which should be given to so useful a contrivance, I forward a sketch, and a few particulars to illustrate its use.

Mr. Gibson was rewarded by the Society of Arts with the Isis Medal, and its use has been strongly recommended by the faculty. The spoon may be considered as a complete hydro-pneumatic instrument, of which the thumb at N, forms the vent peg; the circular disk and tube G, enables the operator to hold the spoon firmly in the hand. It is very useful for giving medicine or food in a recumbent position, and the patient cannot either taste or resist its introduction into the stomach by the ordinary passage. The fluid is introduced at C, and the lid being closed, the spoon is inserted in the mouth; the moment the thumb is removed, it begins to. flow; and should any sensation of choaking be experienced, it may be again placed near the aperture. It may be proper to add, that in a recent case of “ lock jaw,” the patient’s life was preserved, by inverting the spoon, and then removing the thumb.

I cannot conceive a more beautiful application of the science of pneumatics than is here shewn. It is second only to the stomach-pump; and from its more general application, may be considered of greater general utility.– I know, Gentlemen, the value that you attach to improvements in popular science, which must plead my excuse for trespassing on your pages. I remain yours, &c. MEDICUS

Source: Newton's London Journal of Arts and Sciences - W. Newton - 1828

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

OTHER MEDICAL SPOONS

RED CROSS MEDICINE SPOON

For those who believe in individual cleanliness, especially in the case of sickness in the family, this spoon is just the thing. It is designed exclusively for the administration of medicine. Made of sterling silver, it is not affected by any of the acids commonly administered in medication and when it is stained by medicine the spot is easily removed. It is an individual spoon, for the use of a sick person only, and with this end in view it is made so as to contain exactly one druggist's drachm. When medicine that measures more than this is put in it the excess runs out at the tip of the spoon. The rounded sides and the lips at the tip of the spoon do away with the possibility of spilling medicine and when a patient is weak or refractory, one hand can be used to assist or restrain him, while an exact dose is administered with the other. The high sides protect the teeth from the action of any acid contained in the medicament and the handle admits of a firm grip, so that the person administering the dose may place the dose well back in the patient's mouth. Accuracy and cleanliness are assured and the spoon should meet with the approval of the profession and of nurses. It retails at for the sum of $2.00.

Source: Detroit Medical Journal - June 1902

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

OTHER MEDICAL SPOONS

ANNA E. SUPER'S MEDICINE SPOON

Improved Medicine Spoon

There is a new and improved medicine spoon now on the market which is meeting with a favorable reception wherever it is tried. An advertisement of this spoon will be found on another page. To use this spoon, which, by the way, was invented and is owned by a nurse, fill the bowl about seven-eights full. Put the handle in the mouth of the patient. Tilt the spoon upward to the required extent to cause the liquid to flow along the channel in the handle and then into the patient's mouth. The partition at the end of the handle where it is placed in the mouth will cause the liquid to flow to each side of the mouth, thus there is no danger of strangulation when feeding either unconscious or delirious persons with the improved medicine spoon. Liquid nourishment can be given as well as medicine.

Source: The Trained Nurse and Hospital Review - October 1903

Anna E. Super - Narbareth, Pa. - 1903

May 1901

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

OTHER MEDICAL SPOONS

THOMAS M. BAKER'S MEDICINE SPOON

233,185. Medicine-Spoon. Thos. M. Baker, Washington, D.C. Filed July 6, 1880. (No model.)

To all whom it may concern :

Be it known that I, THOMAS M. BAKER, of Washington, in the county of Washington, and in the District of Columbia, have invented certain new and useful Improvements in Medicine~Spoons; and I do hereby declare that the following is a full, clear, and exact description thereof, reference being had to the accompanying drawings, and to the letters of reference marked thereon, making a part of this specification.

My invention relates to spoons for taking or administering medicine; and it consists in the peculiar construction and arrangement of parts, as will be hereinafter more fully set forth, and pointed out in the claims.

In order to enable others skilled in the art to which my invention appertains to make and use the same, I will now proceed to describe its construction and operation, referring to the annexed drawings, in which–
Figure 1 is a perspective view of my medicine-spoon. Fig. 2 is a longitudinal section of the same.

A represents the bowl, and B the handle, of a spoon of any suitable size. The edge of the bowl A is made vertical for a short distance all around, as shown at a, so as to insure a tight joint when the cover C is brought over the same, said cover being of such size as to fit the bowl completely. The cover C is also provided with a handle, D, from a suitable point upon which project downward two side lugs, b b. These lugs may be struck up from the same piece of metal or other material from which the cover and its handle are made, or they may be attached to said handle in any convenient manner.

The lugs b b straddle another lug, d, which is swiveled on top of the spoon-handle B, and pivoted to said lug d by a pin, bolt, or rivet, a.

Back of the swiveled lug d, on the spoonhandle B, is pivoted one end of a spring, F, which extends rearward and upward and has its other end provided with a longitudinal slot, .1). Through this slot is passed a rivet or pin, x, secured in the cover-handle D, as shown.

The action of the spring F is to hold the cover C down tightly on the bowl A, and, by pressing down upon the cover-handle D, the end of the cover is raised sufficiently to allow the medicine in the bowl to pass out.

At the same time the swiveled lug d and the peculiar construction of the spring F and its connection with the spoon and cover handles admit of the cover being turned to either side, so as to uncover the spoon and allow of the medicine being poured into the spoon.

The bowl of the spoon is to be graduated in such a manner that any desired quantity may be poured out.

On the under side of the bowl is attached a curved cup, I, which is V-shaped in its cross-section, and which forms a stop to prevent the spoon from being inserted too far into the mouth of infants or children. This cup at the same time serves two other important purposes. It is well known that when medicine is administered to children they will very often attempt to spit it out. When this is done the medicine will be collected in the cup and can be given again. It also forms a leg to support the bowl of the spoon, and the end of the handle B being turned down to form another leg, L, as shown, the entire spoon can be set down without any liability of spilling the medicine contained in the spoon.

The advantages derived from my invention are briefly as follows: The spoon can be easily filled, or partially filled,with the desired quantity of medicine. The patient can neither see nor smell the medicine. The spoon cannot be inserted too far in the patient’s month. When children spit out the medicine the same is not lost, but collected, so as to be given again.

The cover C is along its edges provided with narrow downwardly-projecting flanges i, to make a perfectly-tight joint. On account of these flanges the cover must first be slightly raised before it is turned to either side for pouring the medicine into the bowl.

I am aware that medicine-spoons have been provided with covers having handles, by means of which such covers may be opened upward from the spoon, and such I do not claim, broadly.

Having thus fully described my invention, what I claim as new, and desire to secure by Letters Patent, is–

1. In a medicine-spoon, the combination of the spoon-bowl and a tight-fitting cover, arranged to be opened upward from the bowl, and also laterally to either side of the same to facilitate cleaning, substantially as herein specified.

2. In combination with a spoon, A B, the cover C and handle D, provided with the lugs b b, the swiveled lug d, and slotted spring F, all constructed substantially as and for the purposes herein set forth.

3. In a medicine-spoon, the curved cup I, attached to the under side of the bowl of the spoon, substantially as and for the purposes herein set forth.

In testimony that I claim the foregoing I have hereunto set my hand this 29th day of June, 1880.

THOMAS M. BAKER.

Witnesses:
H. AUBREY TOULMIN
H. J. ENNIS.

Source: Specifications and Drawings of Patents Issued from the U.S. Patent Office - 12th October 1880

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Medicine Spoons

Post by dognose »

OTHER MEDICAL SPOONS

Medicine Spoon—The accompanying illustration shows an improved spoon, which will prove of value in the nursery or the sickroom. The bowl of the spoon is provided with a cover, which is cut away at the end to permit pouring out the contents of the spoon with out spilling. The cover is formed with a lip which fits into a groove in the edge of the bowl, so that it will be sealed against leakage. When it is desired to fill the spoon the cover may be readily swung to one side, and it may be entirely removed to permit of cleaning the parts. The bowl of the spoon is formed with graduation marks to indicate a teaspoonful, a dessert spoonful, etc., so that the quantity of liquid may be easily measured. The handle is so shaped that when the spoon is laid on any flat surface, the bowl will be held level to prevent spilling of the contents.

Source: Scientific American - 3rd August 1907

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

OTHER MEDICAL SPOONS

Clever Medicine Spoon.—One of the cleverest and newest appurtenances for the modern sick room is a graduated medicine spoon, invented by Fred L. Tompkins, of Providence, R. I., to whom a patent was recently granted by the United States patent office. In the first place, it is accurate in its measurements. The bowl of the spoon is similar to that of any other spoon, being so rounded as to make it perhaps more convenient to measure the medicine. A series of lines engraved around the inside indicate where to stop when pouring doses for one-half teaspoonful, a full teaspoonful and a tablespoonful. It rests perfectly level and firm and cannot tip over. A novel and excellent feature is the rounding handle, which is so devised that it can hang on the rim of the tumbler, thereby preventing the spoon from combing in contact with foreign substances and so picking up fragments of dirt when in a moist state. Mr. Tompkins' timely invention is made of combination metal and is heavily sterling silver plated. Doctors and nurses who have seen it, as well as practical drug men, speak in the highest terms of it, and express wonderment that nobody had thought of a graduated medicine spoon before.

Source: The Chicago Medical Recorder - 15th May 1909

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

R. BLACKINTON & Co. MEDICAL/MEASURING SPOON

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

OTHER MEDICAL SPOONS

An example from 1917:

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

GORHAM MEDICAL/MEASURING SPOON

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

HERBST & WASSALL MEDICAL/MEASURING SPOON

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The Size of a Teaspoon

A few physicians as well as one or two members of the medical press, are agitating the manufacture of uniform size teaspoons. The following is a copy of a letter that embodies the principal objections to the present state of affairs:

Editor of The Medical Record:

Sir: — I recently addressed a note to the Gorham Mfg. Co., silversmiths, of your city, directing attention to the wide variation in the capacity of teaspoons and asking if a pattern of uniform and definite capacity could not be adopted by the silversmiths of the country. This seems almost too much of a trifle to bring to the notice of your distinguished journal, but insomuch as teaspoons are the universal standard, in domestic use, of measuring doses, and as they vary between the colonial spoon of one drachm and the modern spoon (tea) of two drachms, it might be of sufficient importance, as a matter of convenience to the profession, to invite some co-operation in an effort to obtain a teaspoon of standard capacity. It is manifestly unsafe, at present, to direct doses of a teaspoonful when there is so great a difference as a drachm in the contents. I have measured probably three hundred teaspoons during the past two years and have found that most of those of recent design hold one and one-half drachms, some two drachms, and none one drachm, excepting the very old and rare spoons.
D. E. Walker, M. D.
Ilion, N. Y., May 18, 1896.

We are inclined to look upon this movement as being in its origination one of those freaks of inquiry which take possession of isolated individuals who, carried away by the profundity of their discoveries, gradually evolve mountains from mole hills—in their own minds. Of coarse it would seem that the physician should measure the bowl of the spoon which is to be used in taking the medicine he prescribes, especially if a slight overdose of such medicines is deleterious in its effects upon the patient. However, as any movement, no matter howsoever trivial it may be (as Dr. Walker admits in his letter his movement is) directed against any condition that “ menaces the public health,” is likely ultimately to receive support, it may be well for the silversmiths to consider the matter at once.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review - 24th June 1896

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JAMES DIXON & SONS

A pewter example by James Dixon & Sons:

.....a pewter spoon. Who remembers taking or giving a dose of castor oil with a spoon of this design? I have appealed to the oldest chemist of my acquaintance, and he has not seen one before. A manipulation of such a spoon was a tricky matter, for, after getting it into the mouth, a twist would bring the lid well on to the tongue, the lid would partly drop open, and the castor oil would then flow gently down the patient's throat - provided there was no resistance, of course. This forcible feeding was of everyday occurrence, hence was not reported. James Dixon & Sons were the makers about 1840.

Source: The Chemist and Druggist - 31st January 1914

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THE METCALF Co. MEDICAL/MEASURING SPOON

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »