The Snippet - Past News of the Silver Trade

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Re: The Daily Snippet - Past News of the Silver Trade

Post by dognose »

BRIDGEPORT SILVERWARE Mfg. Co.

Bridgeport, Connecticut

The new plant of the Bridgeport Silverware Mfg. Co. of Bridgeport, Conn. on State St. extension, is nearing completion and will soon be ready for occupancy. Coffin hardware is the exclusive product of this company.

Source: The Brass World and Platers' Guide - January 1909

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THE PARK CITY SILVER PLATE Co.

Bridgeport, Connecticut

The Park City Silver Plate Co., 57, Golden Hill St., Bridgeport, Conn., manufacturers of umbrella and cane handles, will move within a short time to the new building of Bridgeport Silverware Mfg. Co., State St. Extension, in this city.

Source: The Brass World and Platers' Guide - February 1909

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

ROBBED THE GAS COMPANY

Chertsey, Surrey

At Chertsey yesterday William Lifford, a jeweller, was fined £5 and costs for connecting gaspipes without an order of the local gas company. It was stated that the defendant had been carrying on the offence for two years. He cut a pipe communicating with the meter, and then re-connected it with another pipe, whereby he supplied his house, shop, and conservatory.

He re-connected just before the inspector's quarterly visits, and then had to pay only a small amount.

The Chairman told the defendant that he had to thank the company for the lenient view they had taken.

Source: Evening Express and Evening Mail - 7th March 1907

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

AURORA SILVER PLATE Mfg. Co.

Aurora, Illinois

Aurora, Ill., Nov. 28.—The Aurora Silver Plate Mfg. Co. gave an entertainment Wednesday evening which was an innovation in factory life. The new building having been completed, they invited about four hundred guests to help christen it. The invitations sent out were to employes and their friends, stockholders and their friends, members of the press, bank officials and directors. The result was a very large gathering, all meeting on a social equality.

The new factory building was ablaze with electric lights from top to bottom, all four floors being utilized for the occasion. The prosperity of the silver plate company is manifest. Last year the net profits were nearly sixteen per cent, and this year the business is greater than ever before in the history of the concern. The new factory is fitted with the finest machinery made in America.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review - 30th November 1892

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

GALLANT RESCUES BY A SOLDIER

London

A strange incident is reported to have happened on the premises of an electro-plater and gilder, named H. G. Grimme, situated at 42, Clerkenwell-close, Clerkenwell-green, London. It would appear, from the story given by Mr. Grimme on Thursday, that, although the premises were closed on Wednesday, a foreman named Franklin and a shop assistant were at work on a job that was urgent. When they had nearly finished Mrs. Franklin, accompanied by her three children, arrived. The children went up into the work-room, but Mrs. Franklin stayed outside. This room is a very small apartment, and standing about on the floor were several dishes containing acids. By some means two of these were knocked over, and the combination of the two chemicals generated a noxious gas which overcame the inmates. A lad named Wright, who was outside the room, raised an alarm, and with the assistance of a soldier named Hall, a gunner in the Royal Artillery stationed at Dover, but who is on furlough and lodging in Goswell-road. the whole of the people were rescued from what must shortly have been death from burning or suffocation. The following is the soldier's account of the incident:

"I was passing the house in Clerkenwell-close on Wednesday afternoon when I noticed a small crowd of people outside Mr. Grimme's house. There was a great deal of excitement, and as I approached I noticed a most abominable and overpowering smell. There was a lady there who seemed more affected than all the rest. She asked some of the people to come to her assistance, and as I came up she asked me. I went towards the stairs, but as soon as I commenced to mount them I began to feel a little dizzy and strange. At the top I saw some little children on the ground, and I grabbed one of them, who was lying on the top of her father. I got the girl downstairs, and handed her to friends. Then the people cheered, and I resolved to do what I could to save the rest. Again I went upstairs, grabbed a child, and brought it down. By this time I was feeling very bad, but I made a third journey, and brought down another little one. What happened then I hardly know, because my head was beginning to swim. Once again I held my breath and stumbled upstairs. This time I seized the last person in the room - the man - and I found him a very heavy weight indeed. I was feeble and pretty well exhausted then, but I made my way in the direction of the stairs, and, with my brother's aid, reached the street. The rescued were taken to the hospital."

Source: Evening Express - 31st December 1898

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JACOB BURACK & Co.

Newark, New Jersey

Jacob Burack & Company, manufacturing jewelers, of 50 Columbia street, Newark, N. J., have been declared bankrupt according to a petition filed in the United States District Court at Trenton. It is claimed that the company's liabilities are $28,000 and the assets $6,000. Creditors have asked the court to name a receiver for the concern. The assets of the company comprise jewelry on hand and the fixtures.

Source: The Metal Industry - November 1922

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

FABERGÉ ROBBED

St. Petersburg

A daring jewel theft has just been effected in St. Petersburg, says the "New York Herald" (Paris edition) correspondent. A lady and her companion drove in a handsome carriage, with coachman and footman, to the Faberge jewellery establishment in the Grand Marskaia. The lady looked at, and put aside pearls and diamonds valued at a very large amount. She represented herself as the wife of one of the most prominent bankers in St. Petersburg, and asked to be allowed to telephone to her husband, as she feared she had gone to a greater amount than he would approve. Then she considered that it would be no use telephoning, as her husband would insist on seeing the jewels. Could she take them away for twenty minutes? leaving her companion behind. The jewels were allowed to go, but the lady never returned. Half an hour afterwards two men rushed into the establishment, and asked if two women had called. They announced themselves as members of the secret service police, and gave the jeweller their cards. They said they would take the companion to the police-station, and asked M. Faberge to follow later. M. Faberge did go to the police-station, only to learn that he had not only been robbed, but hoaxed. The theft had been skilfully planned from beginning to end.

Source: Evening Express and Evening Mail - 25th February 1903

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

LARGE GEMSTONE ROBBERY

London

On Sunday night last, between seven and ten o'clock, the counting-house of Mr. Pitman, Jeweller, Garnault-place, Clerkenwell, was feloniously entered and robbed of 4000 round, square, and oval garnets, 1000 rose-shaped garnets, 500 aqua marina, jacinth, and different stones one dozen large oval amethysts, four rows of onys beads, a quantity of coral, cornelian seals and brooches, with various other articles of Jewellery. The thieves got clear off with the property.

Source: The Cambrian - 21st March 1835

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

FORD & CARPENTER

Providence, Rhode Island

The business and good will of the firm of Ford & Carpenter of Providence, R. I., manufacturing jewelers, have been purchased by J. Perry Carpenter. The manufacture of jewelry novelties is carried on.

Source: The Brass World and Platers' Guide - March 1911

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

FREDERICK BAKER

New York

Frederick Baker, a silversmith, of 305 E. 42d St., was found lying in the woods on Strong's farm, in Corona, L. I., Sunday, by boys. He had lain there since Saturday morning, and was exhausted from cold and exposure. He said he had been in ill health and he didn't know how he got on the farm. His condition is critical.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 27th October 1909

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

EXTRAORDINARY DUEL

Berlin

A singular duel has just taken place at Berlin between a journeyman silversmith and another artisan. The arms selected were a bottle of sulphuric acid. The arrangement was that whichever of the two adversaries threw the lowest with dice should swallow the contents of the fatal phial. Chance favoured the silversmith, who immediately poured out a glass of the liquor and handed it to his adversary who unhesitatingly drank off the liquid but to the astonishment of his antagonist, instead of failing senseless, smacked his lips and asked for another glass. The seconds had acted on the sensible idea of substitutmg arrack for the corrosive fluid. It is hardly necessary to say that the affair terminated in a reconciliation.

Source: The Wrexham Advertiser - 13th April 1867

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

LOWERING THE TARIFF

Newark, New Jersey

The manufacturers of Newark will be adversely affected if the tariff is lowered to any considerable extent. There are few cities that use more of the metals than this place. As a center for the manufacture of gold jewelry it is the largest in the country for high-grade goods. The low tariff will affect the plater and ten karat goods more than it will the 14 and 18 karat and platinum lines, as there is more labor in the cheaper goods and less metal. In the higher grades there is more metal and less labor. These lines can be made in foreign countries for about half what it costs to produce them here, as wages are considerably more, it costs much more to erect a factory and equip it, the insurance is more and the running expenses are more. The only thing that costs the same on both sides of the water is metal.

There is a large amount of sterling silver and plated lines made here, and the manufacturers come in direct competition with the cheap labor of England, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, etc. The best of machinery is in use in foreign countries, and their output is larger than ours, in proportion to the capital invested, as the workmen abroad work longer hours. Platinum lines are not affected as much, as this metal is used mostly for special order work and from designs where only one piece is made. Metal parts and novelties of brass, tin. aluminum, bronze, etc., are made so cheap abroad that a protective duty is necessary or the manufacturers here will go out of business or reduce wages to make up for the difference in duty.

Riker Bros., manufacturing jewelers, say that if the duty is reduced very much it will have a disastrous effect on their business and if reduced on general lines, so as to affect these industries, then it will also be seriously felt by the jewelry trade. Jones & Woodland, manufacturing jewelers, are in favor of letting well enough alone and that it is very poor policy to go hacking at the manufacturing interests to see how close you can come to them without killing them altogether.

The Alpha Jewel Company say that jewels can not be made in direct competition with Europe.

Carter. Howe & Company, manufacturing jewelers, are opposed to any revision, except by a commission who would look into all phases of the subject.

What applies to metal, also applies to other lines used in connection, such as pearl, ivory, celluloid, amber, tortoise shell, Parisian ivory and all the precious and semi-precious stones. Hayes Bros, say a small reduction would not hurt business, and anyway the trade would not be affected much for two years. Charles Nobs & Sons and the Newark Watch Case Material Company say that it would be impossible to continue manufacturing these lines if the duty was lowered very much.

If the duty is lowered on watches it will hurt considerably the cheaper line of watches, selling from one to ten dollars. It will also affect some of the higher priced watches. A protective duty is also necessary for watch cases. C. Lemaitre & Company, making findings for the manufacturing jewelers, are very much opposed to any radical reduction in duty on general lines or in their own line, for it is bound to disturb business. The Henry Ziruth Company, making gold and platinum chains, say they hope conditions will not be as bad as under the old Wilson tariff bill, when most every one was looking for a free soup house.

Source: The Metal Industry - May 1913

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

BEETLE JEWELLERY

Europe

The New Beetle Jewellery.—Large numbers of West India beetles are now imported into France for the Parisian beetle jewellers. East India beetles are also in request. In Edinburgh and Birmingham there is a great quantity of beetle jewellery manufactured. The beetles selected are those with compact and dark bodies. The South American beetles used are a dead green colour, and they have the appearance of being ornamented in the arabesque style. When placed in breast pins gold antenna: and diamond eyes are added. Sir Emerson Tennent has presented Mr. Thomas, a Southampton beetle jeweller, who is going to exhibit in the Paris exhibition, with some specimens of the coleopters of Ceylon, described in Sir Emerson's work on that island. The elytra of these are like burnished emeralds, and the thorax like shining plate armour, Mr. Thomas is exhibiting brooches adorned with gold casts of the ancient fossil trilobite. The regularly articulated frame of these creatures, and the curious attitudes in which they perished, adapt them for the goldsmith's art. The trilobite existed through many geologic ages. It is found in the Cambrian and is traced up to the carboniferous periods. Its existing analogue is the woodlouse. Primeval lice and modern beetles now furnish ornaments for dress.

Source: The Horological Journal - 1st August 1865

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JOSEPH WIENHOLD & Co.

New York

Joseph Wienhold, 24 John street, has admitted into partnership William Walther, who has been eighteen years in his employ, and the firm name will henceforth read Joseph Wienhold & Co. They will continue the importation of diamonds and the manufacture of fine diamond jewelry, commenced by Mr. Wienhold in this city over 30 years ago.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review - February 1889

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

DESTRUCTIVE FIRE

London

About 7.45 a.m. on Friday a very alarming fire happened on the premises belonging to Mr J. Elliottt, a pawnbroker, and silversmith, carrying on business in Queen's-row, Pimlico. The disaster took place in the warehouse on the second floor, used for stowing away the pledges, and before any attempt could be made to get the fire under, the flames had travelled round the room. The engines of the parish and London Brigade quickly attended, and a good supply of water being obtained, the firemen went to work, but were unable to get the flames extinguished until the warehouse was seriously damaged by fire, and the lower part by water. The origin of the fire is unknown. Fortunately the proprietor of the premises was insured, but none of the poor people having goods in pledge were.

Source: Potter's Electric News - 22nd July 1863

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

ROBBERY OF A JEWELLER'S SHOP

Manchester

During the night of Thursday the shop of Mr. Greenhalgh, silversmith and jeweller, St Mary's gate, Manchester, was entered, and property, consisting of gold and silver watches, chains, rings, brooches, and other articles, to the amount of about £1,000., was stolen. The thieves had first entered an unoccupied room over the shop, and effected an opening through the floor, from which they descended into the shop by a rope ladder. There is no doubt that they were old and expert hands, for they drilled a hole through the door of iron safe half an inch thick, so as to pick the lock. A reward of £100. has been offered but the police have no clue to the perpetrators of the robbery.

Source: The Welshman - 31st July 1857

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THE BAILEY-FILSON Co.

Providence, Rhode Island

The Bailey-Filson Co., of Providence, R. I., manufacturers of novelty jewelry, have moved to 107 Friendship St.

Source: The Brass World and Platers' Guide - May 1909

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

FRANK L. WILMARTH Co.

Providence, Rhode Island

Silver plate, wire and settings, valued at $382.50 were stolen from the manufacturing jewelry establishment of Frank L. Wilmarth Co., in the Bowen building, 107 Friendship St., during last Wednesday night. The thieves gained entrance to the shop by climbing a fire escape and forcing a window. The silver was locked in a metal cabinet in the office which was forced and the following goods stolen: Two gross of silver cup settings valued at $8.75 dozen; silver stock valued at $82.50; 100 ounces of silver scrap valued at $110; 140 dozen silver wires valued at $162.40; 17 flat plate silver stock valued at $17.87 and one gross of silver wires valued at $2. The break was discovered by Frank T. A. Wood, a member of the firm, when he went to open the shop in the morning, who immediately reported the loss to the police. No trace has yet been found to the thieves or the property.

Source: The Jewelers' Circular - 6th August 1919

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

MEMORIAL TO THE PRIME MINISTER

London

At a meeting of the Goldsmiths' and Silversmiths' Free Trade Association, held at 12, Pall-mall East, London, a committee was appointed to draw up a memorial to the Prime Minister in favour of the total repeal of the duties upon gold and silver plate, in conformity with the recommendation of the Select Committee of the House of Commons in 1879. It was also agreed to memorialise the Board of Trade with reference to a reform of the hall-marking laws, with a view to the necessary Parliamentary notices being given in November.

Source: The Aberdare Times - 29th October 1881

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A.J. CHARNLEY Co.

Providence, Rhode Island

Charles F. Charnley and Joseph A. Charnley, of Cranston, R. I., and F. Webster Cook, of this city, are incorporators of the A. J. Charnley Company, which, with a capital stock of $40,000, has been incorporated under the laws of Rhode Island to manufacture jewelers' findings and other metals.

Source: The Metal Industry - January 1913

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”