The Liverpool, Manchester and Chester Trade - Adverts and Information

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

The Liverpool, Manchester and Chester Trade - Adverts and Information

Postby dognose » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:40 am

BUTT & Co.Ltd.

Birdcage Street, 69, later, 32, Eastgate Row, and 26, Eastgate Street, Chester

Image
Alfred W. Butt - Chester - 1899

Image
Butt & Co.Ltd. - Chester - 1907

Image
Image
Butt & Co.Ltd. - Chester - c.1910

The business of Butt & Co.Ltd. was established in 1783, but its origins go back to 1703 and Richard Richardson I. By 1880 the firm was in the hands of Francis Butt, and by 1897, Alfred Wathew Butt.

Alfred Wathew Butt was also noted as being the Chairman of the Shrewsbury silversmiths, Robinson & Co. in 1904.

Besides the Chester addresses, the firm had branches at 42, High Street, Wrexham, 10, 41/43, Sankey Street, Warrington, and 9/10, The Square, Shrewsbury.

By 1906 the firm had been converted into a limited liability company with Samuel Barnett noted as managing director.

They became part of the Mappin & Webb group in 1968.

The firm entered their marks with the Chester and London assay offices.

Their Chester entries were 'FB' (Francis Butt) contained within a square punch, on the 5th September 1865, 'FB' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, in 1867, 'FB' contained within a quatrefoil punch on the 16th June 1880. 'AWB' (Alfred Wathew Butt) contained within a heraldic shield punch, on the 7th March 1896, 'A·W·B' contained within an oblong punch, on the 31st May 1899, 'AWB' contained within a trefoil punch with the 'AW' being above the 'B' and a central dot, on the 7th April 1902, a similar one on the 11th February 1905, and another similar, but without the dot, on the 7th March 1905. 'B & Co.' contained within an oblong punch, and 'B & Co.' contained within a trefoil punch with the 'B Co.' being above the '&', both on the 7th March 1906.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/dlChester.html

Their London entries were 'AWB' (Alfred Wathew Butt) contained within a trefoil punch with the 'AW' being above the 'B', on the 25th February 1904, and 'B & Co.' contained within a trefoil punch with the 'B Co.' being above the '&', on the 22nd March 1906.



OBITUARY

Mr. John Harry Moore Dutton, chairman of Butt & Co., jeweller and watchmaker, Eastgate Street, Chester.


Source: Watchmaker, Jeweller & Silversmith - April 1961

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:21 pm

OLDFIELDS Ltd.

Old Post Office Place, Liverpool, and 113, Vyse Street, Birmingham

Image
Oldfields Limited - Liverpool - 1906

Image
Oldfields Ltd. - Liverpool - 1908

Robert Charles Oldfield registered his marks with the London, Birmingham, and Sheffield assay offices.

His London registration was 'RCO' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, entered on the 12th February 1901.

His Birmingham registrations was 'O.Ltd.' and 'O·Ltd'

His Sheffield registration was 'O.Ltd.' entered in June 1905. See: http://www.925-1000.com/dlSheffield3.html

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:52 am

THOMAS & JOHN WOOLFIELD

General Fancy Bazaar, 69, Church Street, Liverpool

Image
Thomas & John Woolfield - Liverpool - 1828

Thomas Woolfield entered his mark 'TW' contained within an oblong punch, at the Chester Assay Office in the 1830's. Amongst his assays were spoons, box covers, gold rings, and coffin plates.

The business was succeeded by W.B. Promoli. (See below post).

Trev.

MCB
moderator
Posts: 2135
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby MCB » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:00 am

Robert Charles Oldfield
He also entered a mark on 21st June 1901 at the Sheffield Assay Office comprising “RCO” within an oval punch with a dot after “R” and “C”.
Volume I page 350 of The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths Jewellers & Allied Traders 1838-1914 by John Culme notes Oldfield listed as a watch importer and jeweller at the Liverpool address in 1888 and retailer of items, other than watches, carrying other makers’ marks. The latter would suggest he marked items with his own stamp in some way.
Robert Charles Oldfield was born in Wirral Cheshire 1850.
By 1861 he had started in the jewellery trade as an assistant.
Sometime after 1901 he moved from Cheshire to London where he was listed in 1911 as a superintendent of a jewellery firm.
He died in London in 1925.

Oldfields Ltd
Another website records the O Ltd Sheffield mark on a spoon carrying the date letter for 1932 indicating Oldfields Ltd were still trading at that time.

Alfred Wathew Butt
He also entered a mark on 11th March 1902 at the Sheffield Assay Office comprising “AWB” within a shield shape punch.
Alfred Walthew Butt was born in Cheshire in 1851.
He was listed in 1871as a lodger in Matlock Derbyshire working as a gold and silversmith. He was listed in UK Census records in Cheshire and in the same trade from 1881-1901.
He died in Cheshire 1905.

Butt & Co
Butt & Co also entered a mark on 28th March 1906 at the Sheffield Assay Office comprising “B Co” above “&” and a bar below “o”, all within a trefoil shaped punch.

Mike

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:04 am

HERBERT & Co.

20/29, Slater Street, Liverpool

Image
Herbert & Co. - Liverpool - 1876

Image
Herbert and Co. - Liverpool - 1876

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:02 pm

LEWIS SAMUEL

4, Lord Street, Liverpool


LEWIS SAMUEL, third son of Ralph Samuel: Hebrew name, Jehudah ben Raphael. He was born on March 11th, 1783, doubtless in Liverpool; married in Liverpool on April 11th, 1804 to Catherine (Kate), second daughter of the Samuel Yates; and died May 30th, 1854. He was a silversmith by trade. He officiated as Treasurer of the Liverpool Hebrew Congregation in 1813, and as Senior Warden in 1836. His wife Catherine, née Yates, was born June 17th, 1785, and died December 24th, 1858. Issue :–

I. ELLIS, born February 25th, 1805; died June 6th, 1849. Assumed surname of wife’s grandfather Yates.

II. JACOB, born March 12th, I808; died March 28th, 1832.

III. RALPH, born December 26th, 1809; died February 14th, 1833.

IV. MORRIS, born July 3rd, I813; died April 5th, 1878.

V. FREDERICK (Hebrew name, Phineas), born January 16th, 1817 ; died May 4th, I8I7.

VI. HENRY (Hebrew name, Zebi), born September 30th, 1821 ; died October 13th, I823.

VII. SYLVESTER LEWIS, born May 9th, 1823; died December 27th, I882.

VIII. PHYLLIS, born April 4th, 1806 (died March 4th, I844) ; married her cousin Samuel Samuel.

IX. CAROLINE, born July 17th, 1811 (died June 29th, 1887) ; married her cousin Lewis Samuel.

X. ELLEN WATERLOO, born June 18th, 1815; died July 7th, 1882.

XI. HARRIET, born August 12th, 1817; died January 26th, I820.

XII. MATILDA, born January 1st, 1820; died January 4th, I888.

XIII. JULIA, born November 15th, I824 (died January 1st, I897); married Samuel Hess.

The above should not be confused with:

LEWIS SAMUEL, sixth son of Henry Samuel (No. 2). He was born in Liverpool on February 12th, I812 ; married there on August 31st, 1839, his cousin Caroline, second daughter of Lewis Samuel, sen.; and died on May 11th, 1854.. He was a watch manufacturer of Liverpool. Administration to estate granted in Chester May 26th, 1854. His widow was a member of the Committee and Treasurer of Liverpool Ladies' Benevolent Society. Issue:-

I. WILLIAM, born May 3rd, 1840; died November 2Ist, I883.

II. ALBERT, born September 26th, 1844.

III. JESSIE, born January 27th, 1848; married November 17th, 1886, George Bower Batchellor (born December 3rd, 1848).


The above information edited from: The History and Genealogy of the Jewish Families of Yates and Samuel of Liverpool: From Materials Collected by Stuart M. Samuel, M.P. - 1901


LEWIS SAMUEL, GOLDSMITH and JEWELLER, 4, Lord-street, respectfully informs his Friends and the Public that he has just returned from London with an elegant assortment of New and Second-hand Silver Plate, a select and fashinable stock of Jewellery, Musical Boxes, Coral Beads, &c. which for quality and price will be found well worthy their attention.
L.S. cannot let this opportunity pass without returning his sincere thanks to his numerous Friends, for the liberal encouragement he has experienced during a series of years; and hopes, by the constant sale of good articles, to merit their future commands.
The London Prices given for Doubloons, Dollars, light Guineas, and every description of Gold and Silver. - Irish, Scotch, and County Notes Exchanged.


Source: Liverpool Mercury - 13th July 1821


Image
Lewis Samuel mark on a plated spoon by William Hutton of Sheffield.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:42 pm

THOMAS JONES

Minories, London, later, 5, later, 4, Harrington Street, Liverpool

Image
Thomas Jones - Liverpool - 1822

Thomas Jones was noted at 5, Harrington Street, Liverpool, during the period 1816-1821, and at 4, Harrington Street, for the period 1821-1831.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:12 am

JOHN DAVIES

Eastgate, later, Foregate, Chester

Image
John Davies - Chester - 1849

John Davies entered his marks 'JD', with the Chester Assay Office. He was noted as working at Eastgate in 1846, and at Foregate in 1860. As can be seen from the above advertisement, he succeeded to the business of Robert Fletcher.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:23 am

T.B. CARDWELL

105, Dale Street, Liverpool

Image
T.B. Cardwell - Liverpool - 1907

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:37 am

W.B. PROMOLI later, PROMOLI & HAUSBURG

71,72,73,74, later, 24, Church Street, Liverpool

Image
Image
W.B. Promoli - Liverpool - c.1837

Image
W.B. Promoli - Liverpool - 1839


August Wilhelm Bernhard Promoli continued the the business of Thomas Woolfield. (See above post). By 1839 he had moved to 24, Church Street.

Promoli was later joined by his nephew, Friedrich Ludwig Hausburg, and the firm's name was restyled to Promoli & Hausburg. Hausburg appears to have had sole ownership of the business as from 1841.

Friedrich Ludwig Hausburg was born at Berlin in 1817 and died in Cannes in 1886.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:19 am

F.W. PROMOLI

30 and 32, Church Street, Liverpool

Image
F.W. Promoli - Liverpool - 1853

Frederick William Promoli entered his mark 'FWP' incuse and without outline, on the 15th June 1865 at the Chester Assay Office.

No doubt he was related to A.B. Promoli, and the last line in his advertisement 'The only house bearing that name in town' suggests that Hausburg, after inheriting the Promoli & Hausburg concern in 1841, had dropped the Promoli name by 1853, or maybe that the business had ceased to exsist.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:52 am

F.L. HAUSBURG

Old Post Office Buildings, 24, Church Street, Liverpool

Image

Image

Image

Image
F.L. Hausburg - Liverpool - 1846


Image
F.L. Hansbug (sic) - Liverpool - 1851

As can be seen from the above advertisements, the name Promoli had been dropped from the firm's name and they are now restyled to F.L. Hausburg.

Friedrich Ludwig Hausburg was born at Berlin in 1817, he became a naturalized British subject in 1840, the same year that Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg was married Queen Victoria. The speed of the granting of naturalization of Hausburg was unusual, the normal period between the application and the granting of naturalization was four years, but Hausburg was naturalized in just five weeks, with the act of naturalization being personally signed by Queen Victoria herself.

Succeeded by W.H. Tooke. See: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=32427&p=154504#p154504

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:48 am

HENRY PIDDUCK & SONS

175 Lord Street, Southport. Market Square, Hanley. 24, St. Ann's Square, Manchester

Image
Henry Pidduck & Sons - Manchester - 1879

Image
Henry Pidduck & Sons - Hanley and Southport - 1947

Henry Pidduck & Sons were established at Hanley in 1841. Henry Pidduck was elected mayor of Hanley in 1864.

Henry Pidduck & Sons were the designers of the Blue Riband trophy, this is the award received by the ship with the record for the fastest transatlantic crossing. It was initiated in the 1860's, but only represented by the flying of a blue pennant by the holder. The award was commissioned in 1933 by Sir Harold Keates Hales (1868-1942), a British politician and owner of Hales Brothers shipping company. Hales commissioned the trophy to be designed by Henry Pidduck & Sons Ltd. The Hales Trophy is made of gilded solid silver, it stands nearly four feet in height, weighs nearly 100 pounds. The work was executed by James Dixon & Sons of Sheffield.

Henry Pidduck & Sons are still in business today, but now only trade from the Lord Street, Southport branch.

Henry Pidduck & Sons entered their mark ' H P & S' contained within a punch with a triple rounded top, with the London Assay Office.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:26 am

WOODWARD AND Co.

72, Miles Street, Peel Street, Liverpool

Image
Woodward and Co. - Liverpool - 1881

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:07 am

JOHN BYRNE & SON Ltd.

10, Bold Street, Liverpool

Mr. Byrne, jeweller, of Bold Street, Liverpool, has just completed a chalice made from 27 articles of gold and gem set jewellery, recently used for a lady's personal adornment. The chalice is of Gothic design, hand-made and chased. The jewels were valued at £300, and the emeralds, diamonds, rubies, and other precious stones are all suitably set on the chalice, which was designed and manufactured in Mr. Byrne's workshop to the order of a Liverpool gentleman, who is presenting it to a local church.

Source: Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 2nd July 1888

John Byrne entered his marks 'J B & S' contained within a trefoil punch with the 'J B' being above the 'S', and the '&' being centrally struck, with the London Assay Office on the 24th February 1904, and in doing so registered one of the rarest maker's marks you are ever likely to see, for they were cancelled just fifteen days later following the entry of new marks on the 11th March 1904 that represented the business's conversion to a limited liability company. The new marks were 'J B & Son' above 'Ltd' contained within a trefoil.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:58 am

WILLIAM PYKE & SONS, Ltd.

237, Grange Road, & 42/44, Market Street, Birkenhead

Image
Wm. Pyke & Sons, Ltd. - Birkenhead - 1906

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:46 am

ABRAHAM & Co.

Lord Street, Liverpool

Image
Abraham & Co. - Liverpool - 1853

Established in 1817 by Abraham Abraham. In c.1840 a Manchester branch, styled Abraham & Dancer was established.

In c.1851 the firm's name was restyled to Abraham & Co. In c.1875 the business was acquired by George Smart Wood.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:44 pm

JOHN BENJAMIN DANCER

43, Cross Street, Manchester

Image
John B. Dancer - Manchester - 1879

Image
J.B. Dancer & Co. - Manchester - 1882

John Benjamin Dancer was the son of Josiah Dancer. He succeeded to his father's Liverpool business following his death in 1835. In c.1840 he opened a branch in Manchester in partnership with Abraham Abraham (see above post), and by 1847 was apparently operating on his own account in that town. John Dancer retired in 1878, and the firm's name restyled to J.B. Dancer & Co. John Dancer died in November 1887.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Sat May 11, 2013 10:17 am

THE LANG PEN Co.Ltd.

48, Copperas Hill, later, Hope Street Works, Liverpool

Image
The Lang Pen Co.Ltd. - Liverpool - 1915

Established in 1899.

As the Lang Co.Ltd., the company entered their mark 'SW' (Samuel Wade, Manager) incuse and without outline with the Chester Assay Office on the 12th December 1903.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36525
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: The Liverpool and Chester Trade - Adverts and Informatio

Postby dognose » Sat May 18, 2013 5:49 am

THOMAS ARMSTRONG & BROTHER

88-90, later, 78, Deansgate, Manchester, and 112, Bold Street, Liverpool

Image
Thos. Armstrong & Bror. - Manchester & Liverpool - 1906

Established 1825.

Thomas Armstrong & Brother entered their mark 'T A & B' contained within an oblong punch, with the Chester Assay Office in c.1890. A similar mark was entered with the Birmingham Assay Office on the 2nd November 1911 and an incuse version in 1897.

Trev.


Return to “Contributors' Notes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests