T. EATON Co.Toronto
The T. Eaton Co. was established at 178, Yonge Street, Toronto in 1869 by Timothy Eaton. In 1883 the firm was relocated to 190, Yonge Street and expansion of the business continued at a rapid pace. In 1886 T. Eaton Co. employed 150 people, by 1919 it had risen to 16,000.
The formerly retail business saw the benefits of manufacturing their own products and in 1890 opened their first factory producing whitewear.
Timothy Eaton was assisted by his eldest son, Edward Young Eaton, who was Vice-President of the company having joined his father in 1880 at the age of seventeen, his early demise on the 3rd October 1900 through illness was a huge blow to the company.
The firm was converted into a limited liability company on the 8th October 1881, styled T. Eaton Co.Ltd.
Timothy Eaton died at Toronto on the 31st January 1907, and the business was continued by John Craig Eaton.
Sir John Craig Eaton died in 1922 and R.Y. Eaton became president of the company.
In 1942 R.Y. Eaton retired and John David Eaton became president.
We know from their 1909 catalogue that by this time the company were producing their own lines of jewellery etc.
Eaton's ran their own line of silverware, Haddon Plate:
The company did not do well in the later years of the 20th century and finally went into bankruptcy. The majority of what was left of the business was acquired by Sears Canada Inc., a division of the Sears Roebuck Company.