HEARN & POTTER54, King Street, Toronto
Hearn & Potter - Toronto - 1854
Hearn & Potter - Toronto - 1857
The business of William Hearn and Charles Potter.
William Hearn, a watchmaker and jeweller, succeeded to the business of George Savage at 54, King Street in 1852. Savage had previously occupied these premises since the late 1830's. Hearn was joined by 21 year old Charles Potter in 1853 after completing his apprenticeship with Dollands at London. The business, however, was short-lived because of the death of William Hearn in the late 1850's. Charles Potter continued on his own account, firstly at 85, then 121, King Street West. In 1864, Charles Potter was recorded at 20, King Street East and later at 31, King Street East. Charles Potter died on the 13th November 1899, his business was acquired by Charles B. Petry who continued the business under Potter's name. In 1910 he was joined by his son, Allan Petry who continued the business until the early 1950's
Charles Potter - Toronto - 1901Charles Potter, who had been in business in Toronto as an optician since 1853, died on the 3d inst., at the residence of his daughter, Mrs. Campbell-Black, 211 Jarvis St., after a long illness from paralysis. The deceased, who was born in London, Eng.. was 68 years of age, and was for many years treasurer of the Central Methodist Church.
Source: The Jewelers' Circular and Horological Review
- 15th November 1899