Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:18 pm

SWAINE & ADENEY

185, Piccadilly, London

Image
Swaine & Adeney - London - 1862

Image
Swaine & Adeney - London - 1872

Image
Swaine & Adeney - London - 1879

Image
Swaine & Adeney - London - 1886

Image
Swaine & Adeney - London - 1890

Swaine & Co. - 1800-c.1820
Swaine, Slocock & Swaine - c.1820-c.1829
Swaine, Son & Isaac - c.1829-c.1835
Swaine & Isaac - c.1835-c.1846
Swaine, Isaac & Adeney - c.1846-1848
Swaine & Adeney - 1848-1910
Swaine & Adeney Ltd. - 1910-1943
Swaine, Adeney, Brigg & Sons - 1943-the present.

Swaine & Adeney Ltd. amalgamated with Thomas Brigg & Sons Ltd in 1943 and are now located at 23, St. Jame's Street, London SW1.

Swaine & Adeney entered four marks at the London Assay Office. 'ESA' (Edward Swaine Adeney) in an oblong punch on the 3rd October 1902 (two sizes), and 'ESA' in an oblong punch on the 10th March 1910 (two versions).

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:44 pm

REST FENNER SMITH & Co.

701, Broadway, New York

Image
Rest Fenner Smith & Co. - New York - 1876

Image
Rest Fenner Smith & Co. - New York - 1884


Noted at 543, Broadway, New York in 1877.

Rest Fenner Smith & Co. were thought to have stamped their products with a 'RFS&Co.' incuse mark.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:37 pm

ARTHUR W. WARE & Co.

12, East 18th Street, New York


Image
Arthur W. Ware & Co. - New York - 1911

Image
Arthur W. Ware & Co. - New York - 1912

Image
Arthur W. Ware & Co. - New York - 1915

Image
Arthur W. Ware & Co. - New York - 1917

Established in 1894.

Noted at 109-111, Leonard Street, New York in 1903, 41-43, East 20th Street, New York in 1912, and 12, East 18th Street, New York in 1917.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:00 pm

THOMAS BERRY & Co.

11, Virginia Street, and 34, Argyle Street, Glasgow. Later, 191, Argyle Street, Glasgow

The Companies Act, 1929.

Re Thomas Berry & Company (Glasgow) Ltd.

Notice is hereby given, pursuant to Section 238 of the Companies Act, 1929, that a Meeting of the Creditors of Thomas Berry & Company (Glasgow) Limited, Umbrella Manufacturers, 191 Argyle Street, Glasgow, will be held in the Religious Institution Rooms, Glasgow, on Tuesday, 10th March 1931, at 12 o'clock noon.

Dated this 28th day of February 1931.

By order of the Board,

A.R. Russ, Secretary.


Source: Edinburgh Gazette - 6th March 1931

Noted as being located at 28, Miller Street, Glasgow, in 1877.

Thomas Berry & Co. entered marks with the Glasgow Assay Office. 'TBC' in an oblong punch with clipped corners.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:18 pm

EAST & Co.

300, Yonge Street, Toronto

Image
East & Co. - Toronto - 1903

See: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=39666&p=138689#p138689

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:19 pm

D. REID & Co.

294, Fifth Avenue, and 1376-1378, later,1476, Broadway, New York


Image
D. Reid - New York - 1905

Image
D. Reid & Co. - New York - 1916

Image
D. Reid - New York - 1920

Established in 1889.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:11 pm

ALEXANDER GIBB & SON

49, Hanover Street, Edinburgh

This old established umbrella manufacturing business was founded in Dundee by John Gibb. The business passed to John's son, Alexander, who moved the firm to 28, George Street, Edinburgh. In 1898 they removed to 49, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, with John Gibb being noted as being head of the firm. By 1905 they were in the hands of William Hutchison Gibb & John Gibb.


The Business of Umbrella and Walking Stick Makers carried on by William Hutchison Gibb at 49, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, under the name of ALEXANDER GIBB & SON has been transferred, as at 1st February 1932, to Alexander Fulton Johnston, who will carry on the Business as from that date, for his own behoof, under the same firm name.

Alexander Fulton Johnston will collect all accounts due to, and discharge all debts due by, the Firm of Alexander Gibb & Son.

Dated at Edinburgh, this 10th day of March 1932.

WM. H. GIBB
ALEX. F. JOHNSTON

Wittnesses to the Signatures of the said William Hutchison Gibb and Alexander Fulton Johnston:

Robert Gibb, Writer to the Signet, Edinburgh.

Charles M'Lean, Apprentice, 49, Hanover Street, Edinburgh.


Source: Edinburgh Gazette - 11th March 1932


Alexander Gibb & Son entered two marks with the Edinburgh Assay Office in 1905, 'GIBB' in an oblong punch, and 'GIBB' in an incuse punch without frame.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:41 am

REID & TODD

8, Renfield Street, and, 56, Gordon Street, and, 48, 50, 54 & 56, Glassford Street, and 73, Wilson Street, and later, 212, Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow.

Image
Reid & Todd - Glasgow - 1877

Fomerly with Wilson & Mathieson


Image
Reid & Todd - Glasgow - 1896

Image
Reid & Todd - Glasgow - 1899

Image
Reid & Todd - Glasgow - 1918

Image
An illustration of the exhibits of Reid & Todd at the Glasgow Exhibition of 1888.

Trev.

MCB
contributor
Posts: 2135
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby MCB » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:18 pm

EBENEZER NEWMAN & CO

Ebenezer Newman & Co of 143 Leonard Street, City Road, Finsbury registered a mark EN in a shield shape at the Sheffield Assay Office in 1897.

Mike

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:30 pm

ALEXANDER BAIRD & SONS

40, Murray Place, Stirling

Image
Alex. Baird & Sons - Stirling - 1882

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:52 pm

W. & G. ASHFORD

Masshouse Lane, Birmingham

Image
W. and G. Ashford - Birmingham - 1838

Noted as supplying the Winning Jockey's Presentation Whip at the 1906 Melbourne Cup.

William & George Ashford entered their mark ('W & G A' contained within an oblong punch) with the Birmingham Assay Office on the 22nd March 1852. The mark was entered from the Masshouse Lane address.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:12 am

H. CUMMING

154, Fenchurch Street, and 62, Bishopsgate Street Within, and 32, Poultry, London EC

Image
H. Cumming - London - 1858

Image
H. Cumming - London - 1861

Image
H. Cumming - London - 1868

Also noted at 58, Cheapside, London EC, 80, Cannon Street, London EC, and 37, 44, and 88, Bishopsgate Street Within, London EC, and 97a, Bishopsgate Street Without, London EC.

Henry Mear Cumming entered his marks, 'HMC' (Henry Mear Cumming), contained within an oblong punch, in three sizes, at the London Assay Office on the 4th February 1914.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:42 am

WILLIAM A. DROWN & Co.

86, later 246, Market Street, and 13, 15 & 17 S. Third Street, Philadelphia, and 498-500, Broadway, New York

Image
William A. Drown - Philadelphia - 1839

Image
William A. Drown & Co. - Philadelphia - 1875

Image
William A. Drown & Co. - Philadelphia - 1876

This company was established in 1810 by Erasmus J. Pierce, a pioneer in the American umbrella and parasol industry. Pierce's daughter, Mary Elizabeth, married William Appleton Drown (b.1809, d.1879), and it was to him that the business later passed to, and then later to his son, William Appleton Drown Jnr.

William Appleton Drown Jnr., was born at Philadelphia on the 16th January 1836, he married Elizabeth Smith Darling in 1858, and they were recorded as residing at Oak Lane, Philadelphia until the 1870s, before removing to Abington in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. William Appleton Drown Jnr. died on the 21st December 1890.


Obituary of William Appleton Drown Snr.

Mr. William A. Drown, one of the largest umbrella manufacturers in the world, died at his late residence in Philadelphia, on Saturday last in his seventieth year of age. He was born at Portsmouth, N.H. When 18 years old he went to sea, and at the age of 20 years he settled in Philadelphia, where he passed the remainder of his life. When of age, he entered the umbrella house of Pierce & Co. as an accountant. He married the daughter of Mr. Pierce, who founded the house in 1807, and afterwards succeeded to the management of the business, and for the last forty years he has been the senior partner. Sixteen years ago, Mr. Drown established a branch of his business in this City. He held many positions of public trust, and at the time of his death was a member of the Union League Club of Philadelphia. He leaves two sons, William A. Drown - who is the President of the Penn Institute, of Philadelphia, and who succeeds his father as senior partner in the business - and T.U. Drown, who is a Professor in Lafayette College, Pennsylvania. The funeral will take place tomorrow.

Source: The New York Times - 16th December 1879

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:53 pm

DAVIS & WILSON

37-38, Sun Street West, Birmingham

Image
Davis & Wilson - Birmingham - 1878

Late G. Davis & Son.

Davis & Wilson were noted as exhibitors at the International Exhibition at Philadelphia in 1876, and the Melbourne International Exhibition of 1880.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:58 pm

CHARLES AUCHTER

211 and 213 Centre Street, New York


CHARLES AUCHTER, Manufacturer of Umbrella and Parasol Sticks, Natural Walking Canes, etc., Nos. 211 and 213 Centre Street.–A review of the leading manufacturing interests of the great metropolis includes, necessarily the house of Mr. Charles Auchter, in the line of the manufacture and sale of umbrella and parasol sticks, and natural walking canes, located at Nos. 211 and 213 Centre Street, between Grand and Howard Streets. This house was established in 1873, by Mr. Fred Kirn, who was succeeded by the present proprietor in 1887. He occupies large and commodious premises, thoroughly equipped with new and improved machinery, operated by steam-power, and steady employment is given to ten skilled and expert workmen. His new designs and novelties in umbrellas, parasols, and canes embody every modern improvement and device, including the important features of strength and lightness, and are manufactured with special reference to durability. He is also widely popular as a turner and carver in horn, bone, and fancy woods, and buffalo-horn buttons, umbrella and parasol, whip, and cane mountings, and carries a very large and complete stock of all the goods named, to meet the exacting demands of an influential and critical trade. The prices which are quoted are so low and attractive as to insure the attention of close and careful buyers, and to defy successful competition. The trade throughout New York and the adjoining States is promptly supplied, and all transactions are placed upon the most satisfactory basis. Mr. Auchter is a native of Germany, a resident of this city since 1878, and known as an industrious and reliable worker, giving close supervision over all the processes of manufacture, and conducting his extensive business upon the broad principles of equity and honor.

Source: Illustrated New York. The Metropolis of To-Day - 1888

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:07 pm

L. WINCKLER

142 Fulton Street, New York


L. WINCKLER, Manufacturer of Gold and Silver Cane, Whip, and Umbrella Mountings, No. 142 Fulton Street.–The manuufacture of gold and silver cane, whip, and umbrella mountings is a business calling for great mechanical ingenuity and the exercise of much originality in device. In this line Mr. L. Winckler is an acknowledged expert. He is not only one of the most skilled in his business, but he is backed by extent of experience that but few if any in the country in his line of trade can lay claim to. Mr. Winckler is a native of Germany, and sixty-four years of age. He left the fatherland for New York in 1848, and ever since his arrival in this city he has been identified with his present line of trade. In 1852 he began business on his own account in his present premises, and here for thirty-six years he has been plying his vocation. He is one of the best known men in the trade, and his work is always accepted by his patrons as the best that can be produced and strictly as represented. His trade is exclusively with the manufacturers of canes, whips, walking sticks, and umbrellas, and the products of his factory are shipped to all parts of the Union and even to Europe and Canada. He occupies the fourth floor at the address indicated, and this is equipped with special machinery, which is operated by steam power. A staff of competent workmen are here afforded permanent employment, and a large stock of gold and silver mountings in an almost endless variety of designs for canes, whips, and umbrellas is always kept on hand.

Source: Illustrated New York. The Metropolis of To-Day - 1888

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:28 pm

CHARLES LOVIBOND

161-165 Franklin Street, New York

CHARLES LOVIBOND, Manufacturer and Importer of Walking Canes, Umbrella and Parasol Sticks, etc., Nos. 161-165 Franklin Street.–This business was established in 1879 by Mr. E. Bjerrum, who was succeeded in 1883 by Lovibond & Co. Eventually, in 1887, Mr. Charles Lovibond became sole proprietor. He occupies commodious premises, which are fully equipped with all the latest improved appliances and apparatus known to the trade, and is constantly designing something original and attractive, while his prices are lower than those of other contemporary houses. Mr. Lovibond manufactures and imports extensively walking canes, umbrella and parasol sticks, also natural sticks of every description. In regard to canes, a reporter for this review learned from Mr. Lovibond that sticks, imported chiefly from Africa, are largely used, a speciality being made of canes from olive wood, which are very handsome in appearance, and are made up in ten or twelve different shapes. Some are made perfectly plain and some with the bark on. English thorns, filberts, ash, silver and brown hazels are also in much demand, which can also be said of those made from the sweet-scented weichsel which comes from Austria. In fact there is nothing in fine goods which does not find a ready sale,the people having become educated up to a point which requires a fine class of goods to meet their views. Natural sticks are in great demand now, and there are none in the market equal to those made by this house, a speciality being made of this feature of the business. In relation to woods for canes, Mr. Lovibond said that in the future he thought that many of the native woods would be used in this country, as in the North and South there are many kinds of woods growing which look very pretty when made up into sticks, and some are being bought direct from farmers now and made up by his house, although of course the great majority are made from imported woods. New designs have to be gotten out very often to keep a leading place in the trade, and this applies to umbrella and parasol sticks as well as to canes. Natural sticks, with and without bark, heads of animals in ebony and box-wood, rings, and many new designs have been brought out for parasol sticks and sun umbrellas. In this business the stock of canes is mostly made up from November to March, and from then until June the parasol sticks have to be fashioned, the factory being kept running the balance of the year on umbrella sticks and walking canes. The trade of this popular house now extends throughout all sections of the United States and Canada. Mr. Lovibond makes a speciality of mounting walking canes in gold and silver, and has always in stock 1000 different designs. He is a native of England.

Source: Illustrated New York. The Metropolis of To-Day - 1888

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:01 pm

BEEHLER UMBRELLA COMPANY

222, West Lexington Street, Baltimore

Founded in Baltimore by Francis Beehler, who came from Heidelberg, Germany, in 1828. In 1877, the business was passed to his son, C.E. Beehler and by 1882 it was located at 121 West Lexington Street, they later moved to 222 West Lexington Street. By 1908 the business had passed to the third generation with William H. Beehler in control of the company.

Image
William Beehler - Baltimore - 1910

The company's motto was "Born in Baltimore, Raised Everywhere"

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:44 am

HENRY HOWELL & Co.

176, 178, 180, 182, & 196, Old Street, and 53 & 54, Featherstone Street, London EC



Image
Henry Howell & Co. - London - 1895

Image
Henry Howell & Co. Ltd. - London - 1905

Image
Henry Howell & Co. Ltd. - London - 1922

This business has it's origins with that of John Howell's hosiery shop that was established at 76, Aldersgate in London in 1832. John was later joined by his son, Henry, and later still, by his nephew, Jonathan. John Howell became a widower in 1851 following the death of his wife, Sarah, but remarried in 1859 to Sarah Akerman, a widow whose husband had been the walking stick and umbrella manufacturer, James Thomas Akerman. Henry Howell appears to have passed the Aldersgate business over to his much younger cousin, Jonathan and taken over the Akerman business that was located at Old Street, London and restyled it to Henry Howell & Co.. In 1867 Jonathan closed the Aldersgate shop and joined Henry in the walking cane business, they were to work together again until Henry's death in 1888, they was successful and built a reputation for quality products and rapidly expanded with their address in 1892 being noted as 176, 178, 180, 182, & 196, Old Street, and 53 & 54, Featherstone Street, London EC and in 1895 they were noted as employing 460 workers and claimed to be largest manufacturer of walking sticks in the world. The manager of the walking stick and umbrella stick departments being noted as John Walter Anderson who died at the age of 42 years in 1895.

Image
Henry Howell & Co. Ltd. - London - 1922

In 1903 the firm converted into a limited liability company, the directors being noted as Jonathan Howell, George Short, and Edwin Short, the new company being styled Henry Howell & Co. Ltd.

Image
Image
London 1919

Following the Great War the company saw a slow decline in its fortunes, but it continued to operate for many more years. Jonathan Howell died in 1934 and was replaced as managing director by Bernard Charles Howell who ran the company with his cousin, John Waddy-Howell. Following the death of Jonathan the company down sized and relocated to Carlisle Road, The Hyde, Hendon, London NW9, and retaining its showrooms at 180, Old Street, but it was only a stay of execution and the company was liquidated in July, 1936. However, this was not the end of the this long established business, a new company was formed, styled Henry Howell (1936) Limited, and was to exist for another ten years or so before that too went into voluntary liquidation in March 1947.

Image
Image
London 1898

The business was noted as showcasing its products at the Paris Exhibition of 1900, and the British Industries Fair held at London in 1920.

Image

Henry Howell & Co. entered a variety of marks with the London and Birmingham assay offices, all bearing the initials 'J.H' for Jonathan Howell.

Image
Birmingham 1926

Image
Birmingham 1907

Image

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 34597
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Sticks, Whips, Canes, Parasols, and Umbrellas

Postby dognose » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:08 am

J. WATKIN

Commutation Row, Islington, Liverpool

Image
J. Watkin - Liverpool - 1828

Trev.


Return to “Contributors' Notes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests