Some London Advertisements and Information

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:06 am

A.D. LOEWENSTARK & SONS

210, Strand, and 1, Devereux Court, Strand, London WC

Image
A.D. Loewenstark & Sons - London - 1878

This business was established c.1845 by Abraham David Loewenstark as Masonic Jewellers of 49, Duke Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London. They were styled A.D. Loewenstark & Son as from c.1860, and A.D. Loewenstark & Sons as from c.1865. By 1886 the firm appears to be in the hands of Marcus David Loewenstark. The firm of A.D. Loewenstark was recorded as an exhibitor at the Great Exhibition of 1851, the International Exhibition of 1862, and the International Inventions Exhibition of 1885. The business ceased trading in 1895, the plant, dies, etc. were purchased by Spink and Son.

Marks entered by the firm at the London Assay Office were as follows, 'ADL' (Abraham David Loewenstark) in an incuse punch without outline, on the 4th November 1845, 'ADL' contained within an oblong punch, on the 7th January 1846, and similar marks on the 26th October 1846, 22nd May 1855, and 8th October 1879. 'MDL' (Marcus David Loewenstark) contained within an oblong punch, on the 10th December 1886.

The firm also entered marks with the Chester Assay Office, 'ADL' contained within an oblong punch, on the 29th April 1885, and 'MDL' contained within an oblong punch, undated, but thought to have been entered in 1886.


More Window Smashing.—Another jeweler's window was smashed the other day, that of Messrs. Lowenstark and Sons, in the Strand. The perpetrator, who had the appearance of a tramp, gave no reason (or " logic ") for his conduct.

Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 1st December 1891


See also: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23181&p=79014#p79014

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:34 pm

JOHN WEISS & SON Ltd.

42, later, 62, Strand, later 287, Oxford Street, London

Image
John Weiss & Son - London - 1854

John Weiss, an Austrian immigrant Master Cutler and Surgical Instrument Maker, arrived in London and formed his company in 1787. His original premises were located at 42, Strand, London, and by 1836 the business was at 62, Strand and by 1841 styled John Weiss & Son, with Richard Williams being noted as a partner. A perhaps later partnership of Frederick Foveaux Weiss, Alfred Markes, Henry Joseph Francis Hubert Foveaux, and Richard Williams was dissolved in 1868-9, this presumably was the result of Richard Williams retirement or death. Alfred Markes and Henry Joseph Francis Hubert Foveaux both retired from the firm on the 31st December 1871. The business in 1885, apparently now in the hands of Frederick Foveaux Weiss (Jnr.?), removed to 287, Oxford Street, London and 42, King Street, Manchester. Around the turn of the century they were converted into a limited liability company, with William Lambert Hotchkin as managing director and Alexander Watt as secretary. In the 1980's the company's addresses were 11, Wigmore Street, and 74, Banner Street, London.

Image
John Weiss & Son - London - 1867

John Weiss & Son were appointed “Razor Makers to the King” by William IV, many of his instruments featured the Royal Arms on the handles.

John Weiss & Son Ltd. are still in business today and are based at Milton Keynes, they are part of the Haag-Streit Group of companies.

Image
John Weiss & Son - London - 1885

The first mark entered by the firm is likely to be by Frederick Foveaux Weiss (Grimwade p.695), 'FFW' contained within an oblong punch, on the 30th June 1836, 'RW' (Richard Williams), contained within an oblong punch, on the 27th March 1845, 'FFW' (Frederick Foveaux Weiss [Jnr.?]), contained within an oblong punch on the 28th May 1896, and 'J.W&SLd' contained within an oblong punch, on the 14th December 1907.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:44 pm

F. DARTON & Co.

45, later, 72, and later, 142, St. John Street, London

Image
F. Darton & Co. - London - 1879

Image
F. Darton & Co. - London - 1879

Image
F. Darton & Co. - London - 1884

Image
F. Darton & Co. - London - 1902

Image
F. Darton & Co. - London - 1907

Image
F. Darton & Co. - London - 1907

Established in 1834 by Benjamin Oborne (Osborne), who was recorded as a pupil at the London Mechanics Institute from 1831 until 1836, firstly at 8, Northampton Buildings, Clerkenwell, then at 8, Garnault Place, Spa Fields, followed by 11, Guildford Street, Spa Fields, and finally at 102, St. John Street, Clerkenwell. In 1870 the business was acquired by the spectacle maker, Francis Darton, who was joined in 1880 by Frederick George Phillips who became a partner in the firm in 1887, the business at the time was styled F. Darton & Co. In 1892 they removed to 142, St. John Street, Clerkenwell. By 1901 the firm was in the hands of Francis Arthur Darton and they were converted into a limited liability company in 1921, styled F. Darton & Co.Ltd.

The company went into voluntary liquidation in 1925, but were reformed as F. Darton & Co.(1925) Ltd., and reformed again in 1930 as F. Darton & Co.Ltd.

They were recorded as being exhibitors at the Paris Exhibition in 1878, the Chicago Exhibition in 1893, the Brussels Exhibition in 1897, the Milan Exhibition in 1906, the Model Engineers Exhibition at London in 1907, and the British Industries Fair of 1915.

Image

Above is an image of F. Darton & Co.'s display at the Model Engineers Exhibition held at London in 1907.

F. Darton & Co. entered three marks with the London Assay Office, 'F.D' contained within an oblong punch, on the 17th February 1903, 'F.D' contained within an oblong punch, on the 27th May 1904, and 'F.D&Co.' contained within an oblong punch, on the 1st December 1909.

The firm also entered a mark with the Chester Assay Office, 'F.D' contained within an hexagonal punch, on the 8th May 1910.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 am

MACMICHAELS Ltd.

207, King's Road, Chelsea, and, 42, South Audley Street, London W

Image
James Macmichael - London - 1872

Image
James Macmichael - London - 1876

Image
James Macmichael - London - 1882

Image
James Macmichael - London - 1903

Image
T (J?) Macmichael - London - 1904

This business is thought to have been established in the 1840's by James Macmichael at 2, Pier Terrace, King's Road, Chelsea, London, and by 1867 they had removed to 207, King's Road, Chelsea and were described as Engravers and Heraldic Stationers. By 1876 they were located at 42, South Audley Street were they were listed as Stationer, Die Sinker, Engraver, Jeweller, Silversmith, Watch and Clock Maker, Dressing Bag Manufacturer to H.M. the Queen and Royal Family by Special Appointment. Around 1905 the moved again to 48, South Audley Street, and after WWI, to 138, Wigmore Street, London, by which time they had been converted into a limited liability company.

James Macmichael entered one mark at the London Assay Office, 'J.M.' in an incuse punch without outline, on the 15th October 1906.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:32 am

R. SQUIRE

37, Myddelton Square, Clerkenwell, London

Image
R. Squire - London - 1886

This is Reuben Squire, he was recorded as working at 37, Myddelton Square as a Watchmaker during the period 1884 to 1887.

Reuben Squire entered three different styles of marks with the London Assay Office, 'R.S' in an incuse punch without outline, 'R.S' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, and 'RS' contained within an oval. All of the marks were entered on the 29th October 1883.

Trev.

MCB
moderator
Posts: 2135
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby MCB » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:04 am

REUBEN SQUIRE
He was born in Buckland Brewer near Bideford, Devon in 1847, the son of Richard Squire, a watchcase maker and his wife Harriett and was already working in his father’s trade by 1861.
He had moved to Taunton by 1871 and was an assistant watch case maker to Charles Haddon of Fore Street.
He was in the same trade at 34 Myddleton Street, Clerkenwell in 1881 employing a man and a boy and continued in the Clerkenwell and Islington area until around 1901 before retiring to Buckland Brewer where he was listed in the 1911 Census.
He died in Buckland Brewer in 1934 aged 86 years.

JAMES MACMICHAEL
He was born in Shoreham, Kent in 1824.
On almost every occasion in records from 1851- 1901 he gave his employment as stationer.
He lived over the shop until around 1881 when he and his family were listed living at Spike House, Hammersmith Road.
He died there in December 1905.
It was perhaps his son James (born 1860) who entered the mark at Goldsmiths Hall from 48 Duke’s Avenue Chiswick in October 1906.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:47 pm

GODWIN & SON

304, High Holborn, London

Image
Godwin & Son - London - 1904

Established by James Godwin in 1801, and located at 304, High Holborn by 1841. In 1851, James Godwin was succeeded by George Albert Godwin, and by 1888 the business had been restyled to Godwin & Son. The 'Son' was likely to have been George James Godwin. The partnership between G.A. Godwin and G.J. Godwin was dissolved in 1900. The firm were converted into a limited liability company in 1905, styled Godwin & Son Ltd., however before a year had passed, the company had gone into liquidation on the petition of Atkin Brothers of Sheffield. George James Godwin died just a few days after the liquidation, on the 17th April 1906.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:32 am

CRICHTON BROTHERS

22, Old Bond Street, London
636, Fifth Avenue, New York, and 622, South Michigan Avenue, Chicago


Image
Crichton Brothers - London, New York, and Chicago - 1914

Image
Crichton Brothers - London, New York, and Chicago - 1915


MESSRS. CRICHTON BROTHERS,
22, OLD BOND STREET, LONDON, W.

A typical, West End establishment, representing one of the oldest and most interesting of the art-industries in connection with which London enjoys a special distinction, is that of Messrs. Crichton Brothers, the well-known Bond Street silversmiths. The twenty-fifth anniversary of the foundation of this firm falls in 1914, the business having had its inception in 1889, under the auspices of Mr. Lionel A. Crichton and Mr. Philip A. S. Phillips, who have since been joined by their present colleague, Mr. Edward R. du Parcq. All the partners are experts in the historical and technical aspects of the silversmith's art, and their personal repute amongst connoisseurs the world over is evidenced in the distinguished and practically international character of the firm's clientèle. Messrs. Crichton Brothers take a foremost place as specialists in Old English silver, their collection of which is regarded as one of the finest and most representative to be seen at any house of business. The display in this department at 22, Old Bond Street has a compelling interest for collectors of the rare marks and most admired examples of Elizabethan, Stuart, and other silver of English workmanship, and it is no exaggeration to say that it attracts visitors of this class from all quarters of the globe. One might dilate upon many a piece of superb design and perfect craftsmanship, if anything like a survey of the collection in its entirety were possible. But it is more true of this firm's establishment than of most others to say that only a personal visit to the show-rooms, and a very discriminating taste withal, can tend to a proper appreciation of the beauty, value, and artistic interest of the exhibit. Messrs. Crichton Brothers hold the Royal Warrant of Appointment to their Majesties the King and Queen, and count among their patrons many members of the British and Continental aristocracies, as well as the cognoscenti of all lands, to whom the special features of their stock appeal as rare or unique examples of old-time art. Their American connection is a notable one, and they have two important transatlantic branch establishments–one at 636, Fifth Avenue, New York City, the other at 622, South Michigan Avenue, Chicago. The firm's London Telephone number is Regent 83. Their Telegraphic addresses are : " Datemark, Piccy, London "; " Datemark, New York " ; and " Datemark, Chicago." It may be added that Mr. Lionel A. Crichton is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and of the Zoological Society, and is a member of the Constitutional Club. Mr. P. A. S. Phillips is a member of the Royal Automobile Club and of the Pilgrims Society ; and Mr. E. R du Parcq's club is the Primrose.


Source: The Business World - 1914

Lionel Alfred Crichton (1866-1938) and his brother, Philip Alexander Solomon Phillips (1867-1934) established their business at London in the 1890's. In c.1908 they were joined by Edward Richard du Parcq who supervised their New York branch that opened in 1909. In 1913 they extended their American operations by opening a branch in Chicago. The firm were well known for supplying the highest quality antique silverware, and reproductions of such pieces.

They entered many examples of their mark 'LAC' (Lionel Alfred Crichton) contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, with the London Assay Office.

Images of the London, New York, and Chicago branches of Crichton Brothers can be found at: Views of Silversmiths' Premises

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:56 am

BLADON & HUMPHREYS

7, Great Queen Street, and 16, Clerkenwell Road, London


Image
Bladon & Humphreys - London - 1895


Image
Bladon & Humphreys - London - 1896

This business was established by the manufacturing jeweller, Joseph Bladon, in 1865. Following the retirement of the founder in 1894, the business passed to his son, Henry Bladon and his partner, Frederic John Humphreys, and restyled as Bladon & Humphreys. This partnership was dissolved on the 24th June 1897 and the business was continued by Henry Bladon alone and traded under his name until 1910 when the business was restyled to Bladon & Co.

The firm entered their marks with the London Assay Office, the first one's being entered by Joseph Bladon, 'JB' contained within a rhombus punch, on the 15th November 1876, 29th April 1890, and on the 22nd July 1892. Further marks were entered by Harry Bladon 'HB' contained within a double rhombus punch, on the 2nd March 1910, and the 12th March 1910.

Henry Bladon, known as Harry, was born in 1867 and died in 1948. The firm of Bladon & Co. continued for some years following the death of Harry Bladon and they entered a further mark 'H·B' contained within a double rhombus punch, with the London Assay Office on the 18th February 1954.

Jewels manufactured by this firm are sometimes also stamped 'BLADON' 'LONDON'.

Harry Bladon was a leading Freemason and his personal masonic jewels, some 72 of them, are now preserved with the Library and Museum of Freemasonry at London. See: Museum of Freemasonry

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:15 pm

THOMAS WOOLNOUGH

344, Goswell Road, later, 10, Farrington Road, later, 128, Farrington Road, Clerkenwell, London

Image
T. Woolnough - London - 1883

Thomas Woolnough was first noted as working out of 344, Goswell Road, Clerkenwell, in 1869. By 1875 he was located at 10, Farrington Road, Clerkenwell, and in 1883 he removed to 128, Farrington Road, Clerkenwell. He was a manufacturer of gold and platinum chains.

He entered his first mark, 'T.W' contained within an oblong punch, at the London Assay Office, on the 5th March 1869, and his second, similar to the first, on the 15th December 1873.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:42 pm

JOHN ROBERT WILLIAMS & SON

108, Hatton Garden, London EC


Image
John Robert Williams & Son - London - 1877

The business of John Robert Williams was founded in 1838 and noted as being located at 2, King Square, Goswell Road, Clerkenwell. They removed to 108, Hatton Garden in c.1850.

The firm were styled John Robert Williams & Son sometime after 1852.

In 1879 they were noted as being the manufacturers of the enamelled gold and jewelled badge of office for the Merchant Venturers Company of Bristol.

John Robert Williams entered his first mark, 'IRW' contained within an oblong punch, with the London Assay Office on the 8th February 1839, his second mark, 'JRW' contained within an oblong punch, was entered on the 10th January 1863, the third and fourth, both 'JW' contained within an oblong punch, on the 7th December 1866, and the fifth, 'J.W' contained within an oblong punch, on the 29th January 1886.


A very beautiful badge has just been made for the Tallowchandlers' Company. It consists of the Company's arms, very skilfully formed, and enriched with a number of pure white brilliants. The motto is " Ecce Agnus Dei, qui Tollit Peccata mundi." The badge is altogether a fine specimen of art goldsmiths' work, and has been made by Messrs. J. R. Williams and Son, 108, Hatton Garden, who have previously produced many beautiful civic decorations. It may be stated that the Tallowchandlers were incorporated 2nd Edward IV., 1463. The original arms and crest were granted September 24th, 1463; the supporters and the second crest were granted and the arms confirmed by William Camden, Clarencieux, January 29th, 1602 ; and again entered in the visitation of London, taken in 1634.

Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 5th June 1883

Trev.

MCB
moderator
Posts: 2135
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby MCB » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:28 am

THOMAS WOOLNOUGH

He had also entered a mark at the Chester Assay Office from 128 Farringdon Road in 1895 comprising TW in a rectangle with a pellet bewtween the initials.
The 1901 UK Census for 17 Freegrove Road, Holloway shows he was aged 60 years and had become a traveller.
He was at the same address in 1911 and stated he was living on small savings as a jobbing jeweller.
He died at the same address in 1912.
The extract of the Probate of his Will at the Principal Registry in 1912 showed the "small savings" he reported in 1911 had prospered to be £11842+ which was the finally agreed value of his estate.
.
Mike

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:57 am

NEGRETTI & ZAMBRA

Holborn Viaduct, 1, Hatton Garden, 122, Regent Street, and 45, and 59, Cornhill, London

Image
Negretti & Zambra - London - 1881

Enrico (known as Henry) Angelo Ludovico Negretti (b.1817, d.1879) was born at Como, Italy, he arrived in London in 1829 and around 1843 entered into partnership with Francis Ciceri as barometer makers. The partnership was quite short lived, and was dissolved in 1846 and Negretti continued alone at one of the former business's premises at 19, Leather Lane. Also working as a barometer maker in the 1840's was Joseph Warren Zambra (b.1822, d.1897), who was in partnership with John Tagliabue at 11, Brooke Street, Holborn, they also dissolved their partnership, and in 1850 the famous firm of Negretti & Zambra was established.

By 1862, Negretti & Zambra were noted as having premises at 1, Hatton Garden, 122, Regent Street, and 59, Cornhill, they exhibited at numerous international exhibitions during the second half of the 19th century. The firm continued to flourish in the 20th century and were converted into a limited liability company in 1946 and became a public company in 1948.

Following the death of Henry Negretti in September, 1879, a new partnership was formed between his son, Henry Paul Joseph Negretti and Joseph Zambra and his son Joseph Caesar Zambra. Joseph Zambra retired in September, 1888, and following that event M. W. Zambra joined his brother J.C. Zambra and H.P.J. Negretti in partnership. When J.C. Zambra died in September, 1892, H.P.J. Negretti and M.W. Zambra carried on the partnership until September, 1909, when M.W. Zambra retired. A new partnership was then created between H.P.J. Negretti and his sons Henry Noel Negretti and Paul Ernest Negretti with M.W. Zambra, Jnr. H.P.J. Negretti died in January, 1919, and G. Zambra joined the other three in the partnership. He retired in September, 1921. The partnership was carried on by H.N. and P.E. Negretti with M.W. Zambra, Jnr., until September, 1935, when M.W. Zambra, Jnr. retired leaving H.N. and P.E. Negretti in partnership. In September, 1942, P.A. Negretti and P.N. Negretti, sons of P.E. Negretti, were also admitted into the partnership which continued until December, 1945 and the death of H.N. Negretti.

Image
Negretti & Zambra - London - 1883

An image of the premises of Negretti & Zambra can be found at Views of Silversmith's Premises

Negretti & Zambra entered their mark, 'N & Z' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, with the London Assay Office on the 9th February 1909.

Trev.

MCB
moderator
Posts: 2135
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby MCB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:33 am

Some more information has been uncovered concerning the founders of the partnership.

Joseph Warren Zambra
He was born in Saffron Walden in 1822. His father Joseph Caesar (Cesare) Zambra, a barometer maker and optician, was born in 1796 in Como, Italy (Henry Negretti was also born there). His mother Phyllis was from Saffron Walden.
He married Sarah Sophia Potts in 1847 at St Andrew, Holborn. She was born in Clerkenwell in 1825. He lived in Brooks Street.
They had four children:
Joseph Caesar born in London in 1847, Marcus Warren born in London in 1849, Sarah Phillis christened at St Andrews, Holborn in 1850 when their address was Manchester Street, Argyle Square and Julius James George christened at St Mark, Tollington Park when their address was Cambridge Villa, Seven Sisters Road.
His wife Sarah Sophia died in a carriage accident on the Isle of Wight in 1867.
In 1868 he applied for freedom by redemption in the Fruiterers Company when trading at 153 Fleet Street.
He married Sarah Tongue of Islington at St George, Tufnell Park, Islington in 1869. She was born in St Sepulchre parish, Holborn in 1825.
The UK Census recorded them at Carleton Road, Islington in 1871 and 1881 and at Greenhill Road, Hampstead in 1891.
In providing information to complete official records he referred to himself as an optician, only occasionally adding that he was a merchant, an indication of how he saw his role in the partnership.
The extract for Probate of his Will in 1898 shows he died at 80 Fitzjohn’s Avenue, South Hampstead in 1897. The value of his estate was £176394+.


Henry Negretti
He was born in Como, Italy in 1817. The previous post notes that he arrived in the UK in 1829. Despite his tender age of 12 years no evidence has come to light to show he was accompanied in the UK by his parents.
He was listed in the 1841 UK Census at Leather Lane along with Jane Pizzi aged 50 years and Addoni Negretti aged 15 years, all as glass blowers. The Dictionary of National Biographies Vol. 14 p.147-8 notes that he joined in partnership with M Pizzi as glassblowers and thermometer makers at Leather Lane in 1843.
His marriage was registered in Islington in 1845.
The 1851 UK Census showed him as a visitor living at Park Street, Islington with Samuel and Mary Peck and his daughter Mary L aged 3 years a granddaughter of the house owners. His wife was not resident. He was listed as a philosophical (sic) instrument maker.
In 1861 he was recorded at Emmet’s Cottages, Hornsey Road, Islington as an optical and meteorological instrument maker employing 29 men and 13 boys. His wife Mary and children Mary aged 13, Henry aged 9 and Caroline aged 6 years were also resident.
He died in Cricklewood. The extract for Probate of his Will in 1879 in the name Enrico Angelo Ludovico Negretti showed the executors as his wife Mary and his son Henry Paul Joseph, an optician and general commission merchant, both living in Cricklewood. The estate was valued at under £60000.

Mike

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:48 am

PARKINS & GOTTO

Oxford Street, London

Image
Parkins & Gotto - London - 1897

Parkins & Gotto were established in the 1840's, their original location being noted as 2, Hanway Street, Oxford Street, London. In the 1850's they removed to 23 & 25, Oxford Street and in 1891 they were recorded at 54, 56, 58, 60 & 62, Oxford Street. The firm was most noted for the huge variety of quality stock that it carried.

Following the death of the original Mr. Gotto in 1892, the firm passed to his son, Henry Gaisford Gotto, but he died in 1894 and the business passed to Christopher Lamb Gotto. In 1913 they were noted at 96, Oxford Street, and in 1916 at 167, Oxford Street.

Parkins & Gotto entered their first marks 'HGG' (Henry Gaisford Gotto) contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, at the London Assay Office on the 20th February 1891, a similar mark were entered on the 31st May 1892. Their second set of marks 'CLG' (Christopher Lamb Gotto) contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, were entered on the 18th May 1894.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:57 am

E. HAHN & Co.Ltd., earlier Hahn Brothers, and earlier still, Keller & Hahn

93, later, 33, Hatton Garden, London

Image
E. Hahn & Co. - London - 1903

Image
E. Hahn & Co. - London - 1904

Image
E. Hahn & Co.Ltd. - London - 1917


In the London Bankruptcy Court.
In the Matter of Philip Keller and Emil Hahn, of 46, Hatton-garden, and 4, Warstone-lane, Birmingham. Dealers in Precious Stones, carrying on business in partnership under the style or firm of Keller and Hahn. Bankrupts.
Before Mr. Registrar Huzlitt, sitting as Chief Judge. An Order of Discharge was this day granted to Philip Keller and Emil Hahn, of 46, Hatton-garden, and 4, Warstone-lane, Birmingham, Dealer in Precious Stones, carrying on business in partnership under the style or firm of Keller and Hahn, who were adjudicated bankrupts on the 12th day of October, 1876.
Dated this 1st day of June, 1877.


Source: The London Gazette - 5th June 1877

There are numerous other notices published in The London Gazette referring to the bankruptcy of Keller & Hahn.


NOTICE is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us the undersigned, Emil Hahn and Gustav Hahn, carrying on business under the Style or firm of Hahn Brothers, at No. 93, Hatton-garden, in the county of Middlesex, and No. 45, Vyse-street, Birmingham, in the county of Warwick, Importers and Dealers in Precious Stones, was, on the 20th day of December, 1880, dissolved by mutual consent. All debts owing from or due to the late firm at London will be discharged or received, and the business in future carried on there solely, by Emil Hahn ; and all debts owing from or due to the late firm at their Birmingham business will be discharged or received, and the business there carried on solely, by Gustav Hahn.
Dated this 5th day of January, 1881.
Emil Hahn
Gustav Hahn


Source: The London Gazette - 21st January 1881


E. HAHN & COMPANY Limited.
TAKE notice, that at an Extraordinary General Meeting of the above Company, duly convened, and held at 25-27 Hatton - garden, London, E.C. 1, on 23rd March, 1927, the following Resolution was passed as an Extraordinary Resolution and confirmed as a Special Resolution at a Meeting, duly convened, and held at the same address on the 7th April, 1927, that is to say: – " That the Company be wound up voluntarily under the provisions of the Companies Acts, 1908 to 1917, and that Mr. Albert Edward Tilley, Chartered Accountant, of 8, Staple-inn, London, W.C. 1, 'be and he is hereby appointed Liquidator for the purpose of such winding-up."
Dated the 12th day of April, 1927.
E. HAHN, Chairman.


Source: The London Gazette - 22nd April 1927

The origins of E. Hahn & Co. appears to have been established in 1872. They converted into a limited liability company in 1915, and appear to have ceased trading in 1927.


Image

In historic Hatton Garden, where once the palace of the Bishops of Ely stood, and where Sir Christopher Hatton lived in a state befitting the dignity of an Elizabethan Lord Chancellor the world's trade in diamonds and precious stones now finds its centre. Universally known are some of the names identified with this most fascinating of commercial pursuits ; and the influence of " the Garden " in the jewel markets of every land is proverbial. Messrs. E. Hahn & Co., who occupy the whole house at No. 33, and have also an important branch at Birmingham, conduct one of the larger businesses here carried on in the merchanting of gems, both in the rough and the finished state. They have a record of over forty years in the trade, during which period their connections have become extended to every quarter of the globe ; and Mr. Emil Hahn, who founded the business in 1872, still presides over its affairs, assisted by his three sons and a staff of ten, placing at the service of his clients experience and resources which are alike exceptional. The firm have not confined their attention to any particular department, but have given their operations an unusually wide range, and are known to buyers everywhere as large dealers in pearls, all kinds of precious stones, and semi-precious stones, corals, opals, etc. They hold a very remarkable stock, embracing the above in all qualities, shapes and sizes ; and so comprehensive is the assortment, and so well maintained the supply, that the trades concerned can almost invariably satisfy their manifold requirements from the collection of this one house. Many rare and curious stones are to be met with here, including specimens appealing expressly to the connoisseur and collector, and suitable also for addition to the exhibits in museums. Not a few of the virtuosi in such matters have business dealings with Messrs. E. Hahn & Co., whose intercourse with every gem producing centre necessarily places them in a particularly advantageous position for the acquisition of desiderata. They handle some of the choicest examples that come into the market of such stones as sapphires, rubies, emeralds, opals, etc., and indeed of all the " fancy " stones ; while diamonds and pearls swell the total of their transactions to very large figures. Something of a special feature, too, is the collection and supply of semi-precious stones, and stones suitable for ecclesiastical and general art metal work. All varieties of these may be said to pass through the firm's hands. Naturally, however, the bulk of the business done has reference to the needs of jewellers, with whom world-wide business relations are maintained. The house is in all respects a typical one, and its high standing in a trade calling for the utmost aptitude and trained judgement denotes the constant exercise of those qualifications in the direction of its affairs. Telephones : Holborn 515 ; Central 7148. Telegrams and Cables: " Aquamarine, Smith, London."

Source: The Business World - 1914

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:57 pm

H.T. LAMB & Co.

50, later, 5, and later still, 31, St. John Square, Clerkenwell, London EC


Image
Bro. H.T. Lamb - London - 1870

Image
H.T. Lamb - London - 1887

Image
H.T. Lamb & Co. - London - 1917

Henry Thomas Lamb established his business in 1848. Following his death in October 1905, the business was continued styled as H.T. Lamb & Co. and in the hands of William Isaac Stiffen.

The business entered a series of marks with the London Assay Office. The first being 'H.T.L' incuse, without outline, on the 28th March 1868, there then followed a series of similar marks, all being 'H.T.L' contained within oblong punches with clipped corners, on the 11th October 1870, 8th October 1874, 3rd May 1882, 24th June 1885, and 9th June 1892. On the 24th October 1905 they entered the mark 'H.T.L & Co.' contained within an oblong punch.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:33 am

BRACHER & SYDENHAM

55 & 56, Minster Street, later, 26 & 28, later, 30 & 30a, Queen Victoria Street, and later still, 24 Queen Victoria Street, Reading

Image
Bracher & Sydenham - Reading - 1876

Image
Bracher & Sydenham - Reading - 1893

This business was established in 1790 by James Trendall (Trendell) at 55, Minster Street, Reading. In 1838 Trendall indentured Reuben Bracher to be his apprentice, and having completed his term, Bracher stayed with Trendall, eventually becoming his partner. Following the death of James Trendall , Reuben Bracher became sole owner of the business and changed the name to that of his own.

An earlier advertisement from James Trendell seeking an apprentice:
Image
J. Trendell - Reading - 1821

Joseph Edward Sydenham was born in Salisbury, Wiltshire in 1844. His mother, Elizabeth, was Reuben Bracher's sister and he came to Reading around c.1855 to live with his unmarried uncle, no doubt to be groomed to take over the business, and that is exactly what happened, as he was to stay with the firm until his dying day.

In c.1870, Reuben Bacher made his nephew a partner, and restyled the firm's name to Bracher & Sydenham. In 1875 they extended their premises to take in No.56 Minster Street, opening the extension on the 21st April of that year.

Reuben Bracher died in March 1888. He is remembered with two memorial windows at Christ Church, Reading, and between the windows is a brass tablet the designer of which was Joseph Sydenham.

Joseph Sydenham's skill as a designer of artistic silverware soon built him a reputation, and Royal Warrants followed including those for Queen Victoria, Edward VII (as Prince of Wales and when King) and George V. A local story has it that Queen Alexandra once tried to visit Bracher & Sydenham's whist on an official visit to Reading, but was disappointed to find that they were closed for the traditional half day early closing on Wednesday afternoons.

In the later years of the 1890's, Sydenham, now alone, took his long term employee, Albert Edward Cheer, into partnership, and they were later joined by John Edward Page. In 1906 the partnership was dissolved, and Sydenham continued alone until his death in 1913. The business, however, continued, and in 1924 they relocated to 26/28 Queen Victoria Street, and as from 1926 the firm was noted as being in the hands of Henry Byron Crouch. Crouch died in 1939 aged 88 years.

In 1974 Bracher & Sydenham moved again, to 24, Queen Victoria Street, the new shop being officially opened by Arthur Negus, of BBC TV's 'Antique Roadshow' and 'Going For A Song' fame. Bracher & Sydenham were later absorbed into the Goldsmiths chain of jewellers.

Image

Bracher & Sydenham retailed its own line of electro plated wares under the name of 'Royal County Plate'.

Away from the world of silversmithing, Joseph Edward Sydenham has a special place in the hearts of many of the residents of Reading, and beyond, as in 1871 he was the convener of the inaugural meeting of Reading Football Club, and was to take on the role of first honorary secretary of the club.

The business of Bracher & Sydenham entered their first mark, 'JES above AEC' (Joseph Edward Sydenham and Albert Edward Cheer) contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, with the London Assay Office on the 28th November 1901. On the 20th February 1904 they entered 'B & S' contained within a heraldic shield, and on the 4th and 20th October 1911 they entered a series of four marks, all being 'B & S' contained within three conjoined ovals.


INTERESTING "FIND” AT THE READING MUNICIPAL BUILDINGS.– While searching the vaults beneath the Municipal Buildings for suitable storage for utensils, in connection with the new Dairy School of the University Extension College at Reading, Mr. G. W. Webb (Chairman of the Survey Committee of the Corporation), discovered some very interesting property. In one of the vaults were two old oak chests. about 5ft. by 3½ft., and in one of them were found several dozens of heavy pewter dishes and platters, the largest dish being about 2½ ft. in diameter ; and a number of pewter spoons. Some of the articles have been partially cleaned, and reveal inscriptions, coats of arms, &c., proving them to be the property of the Corporation; and a careful inspection of the “plate marks” has led Mr. J. E. Sydenham (of Messrs. Bracher and Sydenham) to fix their date circa 1680. In another part of the buildings, Mr. Webb discovered no less than 19½ dozen of old “ Sheffield plate ” (silver rolled on iron) table spoons, all stamped with the borough arms, which Mr. Sydenham considers to be about 60 years old.

Source: The Berkshire Archaeological Journal - Volumes 1-2 - 1895


The Reading Worthless Cheque Case

Huntley Kitchen, 20, formerly a lieutenant in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, has been sentenced to three months' hard labor for attempting to pass worthless cheques with Messrs. Bracher and Sydenham, of Reading, and others, as previously reported. Every means was employed to bring it in a case of overdrawal based upon precedent, but neither the Recorder or the jury could be induced to take that view.


Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweler and Silversmith - 1st May 1893

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:15 am

JOHN PAGE

223, later, 195/197, Stanhope Street, and 106, High Street, Camden Town, London

Image
John Page - London - 1932

John William Page established his business in 1877. He was recorded at 223, Stanhope Street in 1892, and at 195, Stanhope Street in 1912. By 1923 his premises had been extended to take in 197, Stanhope Street.

John Page entered his mark 'JP' contained within a cross shaped mark, on the 19th December 1892 with the London Assay Office.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 36508
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:24 pm

T.W. MARTIN

72, Queen's Road, Dalston, London

Image
T.W. Martin - London - 1932

Thomas William Martin established his business in 1890.

He registered his mark 'T.W.M' contained within an oblong punch, with the London Assay Office on the 3rd April 1906.

Trev.


Return to “Contributors' Notes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests