Some London Advertisements and Information

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:00 am

BACKES & STRAUSS

64, later, 14-16, Holborn Viaduct, London

Image
Backes & Strauss - London - 1888

Image
Backes & Strauss - Toronto - 1920

Image
Backes & Strauss - London - 1960

Backes & Strauss claim to be the oldest diamond dealers in the world, and can trace their history back to 1789.

Backes & Strauss were converted into a limited liability company in 1886, under the style Backes & Strauss Ltd.

The first marks that were entered in connection with this business with the London Assay Office was on the 25th March 1878 and 26th January 1886, 'MS' (Max Strauss) contained within an oblong punch. Further marks were entered at the LAO on the 24th January 1881, 3rd January 1888, and 12th October 1889, these last three being 'SS' (Siegfried Strauss, the brother of Max Strauss) contained within an oblong punch.

It would appear that at some point in the 1890's Backes & Strauss Ltd. ceased being manufacturers of jewellery, to concentrate on the specialised business of dealers in diamonds and precious stones.

It was in 1892 that they first occupied the premises at 14-16, Holborn Viaduct, a location that they were to remain until the late 1960's/early 1970's when they removed to 19 & 21, Hatton Garden, London, and at the same time at 88 & 90, Vittoria Street, Birmingham.

Backes & Strauss are still in business today and are now located at 113a Jermyn Street, Mayfair, London, and at Chemin des Troiselles, 46, CH-1294 Genthod, Switzerland.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:48 am

W.J. THOMAS - EGLESE & THOMAS

136, Oxford Street, London W

Image
W.J. Thomas - Eglese & Thomas - London - 1865

This is likely to be the only advertisement that will ever be found for this very short lived partnership. The wording contained within the advertisement implies a very recent coming together of William James Thomas and Joseph Eglese, but, on the 31st March 1865 the below notice was published in the London Gazette:

The Partnership subsisting between the undersigned, Joseph Eglese and William James Thomas, as Jewellers and Silversmiths, at No. 136, Oxford-street, Middlesex, was this day dissolved by mutual consent. All debts due to or from the said firm will be received and paid by the said William James Thomas. - Dated this 28th day of March, 1865.

Joseph Eglese
W.J. Thomas


William James Thomas continued to occupy the premises at 136, Oxford Street until 1871 before moving to Bond Street. He was noted as an exhibitor at the Vienna Exhibition of 1873, and at the Paris Universal exhibition of 1867 he exhibited a diamond necklace valued at the then staggering figure of £18,000.

Joseph Eglese was recorded as a Jeweller and Silversmith of 16, Cornhill, in 1846, and in 1852, at 43, Cornhill, as successor to Hunter & Edwards. Following the dissolution of his partnership with William James Thomas, Joseph Eglese entered into partnership with his son Charles Edward Eglese, trading as Joseph Eglese & Son, they were located at 28, Bishopsgate Street, Within, London. They went bankrupt in 1880 and their partnership was dissolved in November of that same year.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:54 am

GAWTHORP later GAWTHORP & SONS

16, Long Acre, Covent Garden, London WC, later 11, Tufton Street, London SW


Image
Gawthorp - London - 1861

Image
Gawthorp - London - 1875

Image
Gawthorp - London - 1890

Image
Gawthorp - London - 1897

Image
Gawthorp & Sons - London - 1907

Image
Gawthorp & Sons - London - 1907

Image
Gawthorp & Sons - London - 1907

Image
Gawthorp & Sons - London - 1907

Image
Gawthorp & Sons - London - 1907

Image
Gawthorp & Sons - London - 1907

Image
Gawthorp & Sons - London - 1907

Established 1854 by Thomas John Gawthorp (b.1832, d.1912). In the 1880's they amalgamated with the firm of Matthews & Sons of 377, Oxford Street, London. By 1907 the business was styled Gawtrorp & Sons, and by 1913 the firm was in the hands of Walter Edmund Gawthorp (d.1936). Following the death of Walter Gawthorp the business was acquired by the Church Furnishers, J. Whippell & Co. Ltd. of Exeter.

Gawthorps entered three marks with the London Assay Office, 'TJG' (Thomas John Gawthorp), contained within an elliptical punch on the 26th November 1885. 'TJG' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners on the 14th October 1898, and a similar one on the 17th December 1901.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:38 pm

MILLER BROTHERS

78 & 79, Newgate Street, London EC

Image
Miller Brothers - London - 1880

Miller Brothers were established in the early 1870's, the early partners being noted as Charles Dew Miller, George Woodville Miller, and Richard William Bentley Miller. George Woodville Miller is recorded as having retired on the 1st February 1886. Charles Dew Miller died on the 17th April 1899, at the time of his death he was described as the senior partner in Miller Brothers and a member of the Court of Common Council.

Miller Brothers were converted into a limited liability company in 1904, styled Miller Brothers (London) Ltd. The first directors being recorded as Daniel Finniswood Miller, William Charles Miller, R.W.B. Miller, and Alfred Miller.

1904 also saw the company relocate to Bentley House, 16 & 18, Beak Street, Regent Street, London W. By 1907 they had opened a Paris branch located at Rue Bleue. In 1916, Frank Rabbidge and Charles Smith were appointed directors. In 1925 the firm moved again, this time to 4 - 7 Greville Street, Hatton Garden, London EC1.

Miller Brothers entered six marks with the London Assay Office, 'CM' (Charles Dew Miller) contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, on the 17th October 1887, another similar on the 6th February 1893. On the 30th July 1901, they entered a mark 'M.BROS',contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, and another similar, in three sizes, on the 27th September 1914.

Miller Brothers also entered marks with the Chester Assay Office. On the 3rd October 1894 they entered ' M Bros', contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners. On the 21st November 1896 'M. BROs', with a dot underneath the 's', contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, and on the 26th July 1916, 'M. BROS', contained within an oblong punch.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:33 pm

SPINK & SON

17 & 18, Piccadilly, and 1 & 2, Gracechurch Street, Cornhill, London

Manufacturies: 7, Golden Square, and 26 Bridle Lane, London




Image
Spink & Son - London - 1901

Image
Spink & Son Ltd. - London - 1920

Image
Spink & Son Ltd. - London - 1920



The business was founded in 1666 by John Spink and located near Lombard Street, the premises were destroyed when the Great Fire of London swept through that part of the City, but following the rebuilding programme he returned to Lombard Street. In 1770 the firm, now in the hands of Marshall Spink, removed to Gracechurch Street and in 1772 the business was restlyed to Spink & Son. By the 1820's the firm had now passed to Daniel Elgar Spink (Grimwade p. 358). The second half of the 19th century saw the firm in the hands of John Spink who was joined in 1871 by his son, John Marshall Spink, and later by his other sons, Samuel Martin Spink and Charles Frederick Spink. During the 19th century the firm acquired a mint in Soho and started to design and produce medals and in 1900 they received the Royal Warrant for medals services to Queen Victoria. Spink & Son acquired additional premises at 17 & 18, Piccadilly in 1897, and in 1903 were converted into a limited liability company as Spink & Son Ltd. In 1906 they vacated the Gracechurch Street premises and in 1927 moved to the corner of King Street and Duke Street, St James. In 1962 they became a Public company listed on the London Stock Exchange. In 1977 the business was taken over by Andrew Weir & Co Ltd. and in 1993 Spink & Son were acquired by Christies. In 2002 Spink & Son were acquired by the Singapore investment group, 1818 Capitol.

Spink and Son purchased the plant, dies, &c. of the medallists, A. D. Lowenstark and Sons of 210, Strand, London, following their closure in 1895.

Spink now holds two Royal Warrants for medal services to HM Queen Elizabeth, and HRH the Duke of Edinburgh; in addition Spink was recently awarded the Royal Warrant for philatelic services to HM Queen Elizabeth.

Marks entered by the firm at the London Assay Office: 'DS' (Daniel Elgar Spink) contained within an oblong punch on the 15th October 1823, 'IMS' (John Marshall Spink) in script contained within an oval on the 11th May 1887. 'IMS' (John Marshall Spink) contained within a notched oblong punch with rounded corners, on the 11th March 1892, 6th April 1894, 31st December 1895, 6th March 1911, and the 18th November 1913.

Spink & Son also entered marks at the Chester Assay Office, 'IMS' (John Marshall Spink) contained within a notched oblong punch with rounded corners, on the 26th November 1895, and a similar mark on the 12th December 1899.

Further detail regarding Daniel Elgar Spink can be found at: Daniel Elgar Spink

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:06 am

A.D. LOEWENSTARK & SONS

210, Strand, and 1, Devereux Court, Strand, London WC

Image
A.D. Loewenstark & Sons - London - 1878

This business was established c.1845 by Abraham David Loewenstark as Masonic Jewellers of 49, Duke Street, Lincoln's Inn Fields, London. They were styled A.D. Loewenstark & Son as from c.1860, and A.D. Loewenstark & Sons as from c.1865. By 1886 the firm appears to be in the hands of Marcus David Loewenstark. The firm of A.D. Loewenstark was recorded as an exhibitor at the Great Exhibition of 1851, the International Exhibition of 1862, and the International Inventions Exhibition of 1885. The business ceased trading in 1895, the plant, dies, etc. were purchased by Spink and Son.

Marks entered by the firm at the London Assay Office were as follows, 'ADL' (Abraham David Loewenstark) in an incuse punch without outline, on the 4th November 1845, 'ADL' contained within an oblong punch, on the 7th January 1846, and similar marks on the 26th October 1846, 22nd May 1855, and 8th October 1879. 'MDL' (Marcus David Loewenstark) contained within an oblong punch, on the 10th December 1886.

The firm also entered marks with the Chester Assay Office, 'ADL' contained within an oblong punch, on the 29th April 1885, and 'MDL' contained within an oblong punch, undated, but thought to have been entered in 1886.


More Window Smashing.—Another jeweler's window was smashed the other day, that of Messrs. Lowenstark and Sons, in the Strand. The perpetrator, who had the appearance of a tramp, gave no reason (or " logic ") for his conduct.

Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 1st December 1891


See also: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23181&p=79014#p79014

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:34 pm

JOHN WEISS & SON Ltd.

42, later, 62, Strand, later 287, Oxford Street, London

Image
John Weiss & Son - London - 1854

John Weiss, an Austrian immigrant Master Cutler and Surgical Instrument Maker, arrived in London and formed his company in 1787. His original premises were located at 42, Strand, London, and by 1836 the business was at 62, Strand and by 1841 styled John Weiss & Son, with Richard Williams being noted as a partner. A perhaps later partnership of Frederick Foveaux Weiss, Alfred Markes, Henry Joseph Francis Hubert Foveaux, and Richard Williams was dissolved in 1868-9, this presumably was the result of Richard Williams retirement or death. Alfred Markes and Henry Joseph Francis Hubert Foveaux both retired from the firm on the 31st December 1871. The business in 1885, apparently now in the hands of Frederick Foveaux Weiss (Jnr.?), removed to 287, Oxford Street, London and 42, King Street, Manchester. Around the turn of the century they were converted into a limited liability company, with William Lambert Hotchkin as managing director and Alexander Watt as secretary. In the 1980's the company's addresses were 11, Wigmore Street, and 74, Banner Street, London.

Image
John Weiss & Son - London - 1867

John Weiss & Son were appointed “Razor Makers to the King” by William IV, many of his instruments featured the Royal Arms on the handles.

John Weiss & Son Ltd. are still in business today and are based at Milton Keynes, they are part of the Haag-Streit Group of companies.

Image
John Weiss & Son - London - 1885

The first mark entered by the firm is likely to be by Frederick Foveaux Weiss (Grimwade p.695), 'FFW' contained within an oblong punch, on the 30th June 1836, 'RW' (Richard Williams), contained within an oblong punch, on the 27th March 1845, 'FFW' (Frederick Foveaux Weiss [Jnr.?]), contained within an oblong punch on the 28th May 1896, and 'J.W&SLd' contained within an oblong punch, on the 14th December 1907.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:44 pm

F. DARTON & Co.

45, later, 72, and later, 142, St. John Street, London

Image
F. Darton & Co. - London - 1879

Image
F. Darton & Co. - London - 1879

Image
F. Darton & Co. - London - 1884

Image
F. Darton & Co. - London - 1902

Image
F. Darton & Co. - London - 1907

Image
F. Darton & Co. - London - 1907

Established in 1834 by Benjamin Oborne (Osborne), who was recorded as a pupil at the London Mechanics Institute from 1831 until 1836, firstly at 8, Northampton Buildings, Clerkenwell, then at 8, Garnault Place, Spa Fields, followed by 11, Guildford Street, Spa Fields, and finally at 102, St. John Street, Clerkenwell. In 1870 the business was acquired by the spectacle maker, Francis Darton, who was joined in 1880 by Frederick George Phillips who became a partner in the firm in 1887, the business at the time was styled F. Darton & Co. In 1892 they removed to 142, St. John Street, Clerkenwell. By 1901 the firm was in the hands of Francis Arthur Darton and they were converted into a limited liability company in 1921, styled F. Darton & Co.Ltd.

The company went into voluntary liquidation in 1925, but were reformed as F. Darton & Co.(1925) Ltd., and reformed again in 1930 as F. Darton & Co.Ltd.

They were recorded as being exhibitors at the Paris Exhibition in 1878, the Chicago Exhibition in 1893, the Brussels Exhibition in 1897, the Milan Exhibition in 1906, the Model Engineers Exhibition at London in 1907, and the British Industries Fair of 1915.

Image

Above is an image of F. Darton & Co.'s display at the Model Engineers Exhibition held at London in 1907.

F. Darton & Co. entered three marks with the London Assay Office, 'F.D' contained within an oblong punch, on the 17th February 1903, 'F.D' contained within an oblong punch, on the 27th May 1904, and 'F.D&Co.' contained within an oblong punch, on the 1st December 1909.

The firm also entered a mark with the Chester Assay Office, 'F.D' contained within an hexagonal punch, on the 8th May 1910.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:32 am

MACMICHAELS Ltd.

207, King's Road, Chelsea, and, 42, South Audley Street, London W

Image
James Macmichael - London - 1872

Image
James Macmichael - London - 1876

Image
James Macmichael - London - 1882

Image
James Macmichael - London - 1903

Image
T (J?) Macmichael - London - 1904

This business is thought to have been established in the 1840's by James Macmichael at 2, Pier Terrace, King's Road, Chelsea, London, and by 1867 they had removed to 207, King's Road, Chelsea and were described as Engravers and Heraldic Stationers. By 1876 they were located at 42, South Audley Street were they were listed as Stationer, Die Sinker, Engraver, Jeweller, Silversmith, Watch and Clock Maker, Dressing Bag Manufacturer to H.M. the Queen and Royal Family by Special Appointment. Around 1905 the moved again to 48, South Audley Street, and after WWI, to 138, Wigmore Street, London, by which time they had been converted into a limited liability company.

James Macmichael entered one mark at the London Assay Office, 'J.M.' in an incuse punch without outline, on the 15th October 1906.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:32 am

R. SQUIRE

37, Myddelton Square, Clerkenwell, London

Image
R. Squire - London - 1886

This is Reuben Squire, he was recorded as working at 37, Myddelton Square as a Watchmaker during the period 1884 to 1887.

Reuben Squire entered three different styles of marks with the London Assay Office, 'R.S' in an incuse punch without outline, 'R.S' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, and 'RS' contained within an oval. All of the marks were entered on the 29th October 1883.

Trev.

MCB
moderator
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby MCB » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:04 am

REUBEN SQUIRE
He was born in Buckland Brewer near Bideford, Devon in 1847, the son of Richard Squire, a watchcase maker and his wife Harriett and was already working in his father’s trade by 1861.
He had moved to Taunton by 1871 and was an assistant watch case maker to Charles Haddon of Fore Street.
He was in the same trade at 34 Myddleton Street, Clerkenwell in 1881 employing a man and a boy and continued in the Clerkenwell and Islington area until around 1901 before retiring to Buckland Brewer where he was listed in the 1911 Census.
He died in Buckland Brewer in 1934 aged 86 years.

JAMES MACMICHAEL
He was born in Shoreham, Kent in 1824.
On almost every occasion in records from 1851- 1901 he gave his employment as stationer.
He lived over the shop until around 1881 when he and his family were listed living at Spike House, Hammersmith Road.
He died there in December 1905.
It was perhaps his son James (born 1860) who entered the mark at Goldsmiths Hall from 48 Duke’s Avenue Chiswick in October 1906.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:47 pm

GODWIN & SON

304, High Holborn, London

Image
Godwin & Son - London - 1904

Established by James Godwin in 1801, and located at 304, High Holborn by 1841. In 1851, James Godwin was succeeded by George Albert Godwin, and by 1888 the business had been restyled to Godwin & Son. The 'Son' was likely to have been George James Godwin. The partnership between G.A. Godwin and G.J. Godwin was dissolved in 1900. The firm were converted into a limited liability company in 1905, styled Godwin & Son Ltd., however before a year had passed, the company had gone into liquidation on the petition of Atkin Brothers of Sheffield. George James Godwin died just a few days after the liquidation, on the 17th April 1906.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:32 am

CRICHTON BROTHERS

22, Old Bond Street, London
636, Fifth Avenue, New York, and 622, South Michigan Avenue, Chicago


Image
Crichton Brothers - London, New York, and Chicago - 1914

Image
Crichton Brothers - London, New York, and Chicago - 1915


MESSRS. CRICHTON BROTHERS,
22, OLD BOND STREET, LONDON, W.

A typical, West End establishment, representing one of the oldest and most interesting of the art-industries in connection with which London enjoys a special distinction, is that of Messrs. Crichton Brothers, the well-known Bond Street silversmiths. The twenty-fifth anniversary of the foundation of this firm falls in 1914, the business having had its inception in 1889, under the auspices of Mr. Lionel A. Crichton and Mr. Philip A. S. Phillips, who have since been joined by their present colleague, Mr. Edward R. du Parcq. All the partners are experts in the historical and technical aspects of the silversmith's art, and their personal repute amongst connoisseurs the world over is evidenced in the distinguished and practically international character of the firm's clientèle. Messrs. Crichton Brothers take a foremost place as specialists in Old English silver, their collection of which is regarded as one of the finest and most representative to be seen at any house of business. The display in this department at 22, Old Bond Street has a compelling interest for collectors of the rare marks and most admired examples of Elizabethan, Stuart, and other silver of English workmanship, and it is no exaggeration to say that it attracts visitors of this class from all quarters of the globe. One might dilate upon many a piece of superb design and perfect craftsmanship, if anything like a survey of the collection in its entirety were possible. But it is more true of this firm's establishment than of most others to say that only a personal visit to the show-rooms, and a very discriminating taste withal, can tend to a proper appreciation of the beauty, value, and artistic interest of the exhibit. Messrs. Crichton Brothers hold the Royal Warrant of Appointment to their Majesties the King and Queen, and count among their patrons many members of the British and Continental aristocracies, as well as the cognoscenti of all lands, to whom the special features of their stock appeal as rare or unique examples of old-time art. Their American connection is a notable one, and they have two important transatlantic branch establishments–one at 636, Fifth Avenue, New York City, the other at 622, South Michigan Avenue, Chicago. The firm's London Telephone number is Regent 83. Their Telegraphic addresses are : " Datemark, Piccy, London "; " Datemark, New York " ; and " Datemark, Chicago." It may be added that Mr. Lionel A. Crichton is a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts and of the Zoological Society, and is a member of the Constitutional Club. Mr. P. A. S. Phillips is a member of the Royal Automobile Club and of the Pilgrims Society ; and Mr. E. R du Parcq's club is the Primrose.


Source: The Business World - 1914

Lionel Alfred Crichton (1866-1938) and his brother, Philip Alexander Solomon Phillips (1867-1934) established their business at London in the 1890's. In c.1908 they were joined by Edward Richard du Parcq who supervised their New York branch that opened in 1909. In 1913 they extended their American operations by opening a branch in Chicago. The firm were well known for supplying the highest quality antique silverware, and reproductions of such pieces.

They entered many examples of their mark 'LAC' (Lionel Alfred Crichton) contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, with the London Assay Office.

Images of the London, New York, and Chicago branches of Crichton Brothers can be found at: Views of Silversmiths' Premises

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:56 am

BLADON & HUMPHREYS

7, Great Queen Street, and 16, Clerkenwell Road, London


Image
Bladon & Humphreys - London - 1895


Image
Bladon & Humphreys - London - 1896

This business was established by the manufacturing jeweller, Joseph Bladon, in 1865. Following the retirement of the founder in 1894, the business passed to his son, Henry Bladon and his partner, Frederic John Humphreys, and restyled as Bladon & Humphreys. This partnership was dissolved on the 24th June 1897 and the business was continued by Henry Bladon alone and traded under his name until 1910 when the business was restyled to Bladon & Co.

The firm entered their marks with the London Assay Office, the first one's being entered by Joseph Bladon, 'JB' contained within a rhombus punch, on the 15th November 1876, 29th April 1890, and on the 22nd July 1892. Further marks were entered by Harry Bladon 'HB' contained within a double rhombus punch, on the 2nd March 1910, and the 12th March 1910.

Henry Bladon, known as Harry, was born in 1867 and died in 1948. The firm of Bladon & Co. continued for some years following the death of Harry Bladon and they entered a further mark 'H·B' contained within a double rhombus punch, with the London Assay Office on the 18th February 1954.

Jewels manufactured by this firm are sometimes also stamped 'BLADON' 'LONDON'.

Harry Bladon was a leading Freemason and his personal masonic jewels, some 72 of them, are now preserved with the Library and Museum of Freemasonry at London. See: Museum of Freemasonry

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:15 pm

THOMAS WOOLNOUGH

344, Goswell Road, later, 10, Farrington Road, later, 128, Farrington Road, Clerkenwell, London

Image
T. Woolnough - London - 1883

Thomas Woolnough was first noted as working out of 344, Goswell Road, Clerkenwell, in 1869. By 1875 he was located at 10, Farrington Road, Clerkenwell, and in 1883 he removed to 128, Farrington Road, Clerkenwell. He was a manufacturer of gold and platinum chains.

He entered his first mark, 'T.W' contained within an oblong punch, at the London Assay Office, on the 5th March 1869, and his second, similar to the first, on the 15th December 1873.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:42 pm

JOHN ROBERT WILLIAMS & SON

108, Hatton Garden, London EC


Image
John Robert Williams & Son - London - 1877

The business of John Robert Williams was founded in 1838 and noted as being located at 2, King Square, Goswell Road, Clerkenwell. They removed to 108, Hatton Garden in c.1850.

The firm were styled John Robert Williams & Son sometime after 1852.

In 1879 they were noted as being the manufacturers of the enamelled gold and jewelled badge of office for the Merchant Venturers Company of Bristol.

John Robert Williams entered his first mark, 'IRW' contained within an oblong punch, with the London Assay Office on the 8th February 1839, his second mark, 'JRW' contained within an oblong punch, was entered on the 10th January 1863, the third and fourth, both 'JW' contained within an oblong punch, on the 7th December 1866, and the fifth, 'J.W' contained within an oblong punch, on the 29th January 1886.


A very beautiful badge has just been made for the Tallowchandlers' Company. It consists of the Company's arms, very skilfully formed, and enriched with a number of pure white brilliants. The motto is " Ecce Agnus Dei, qui Tollit Peccata mundi." The badge is altogether a fine specimen of art goldsmiths' work, and has been made by Messrs. J. R. Williams and Son, 108, Hatton Garden, who have previously produced many beautiful civic decorations. It may be stated that the Tallowchandlers were incorporated 2nd Edward IV., 1463. The original arms and crest were granted September 24th, 1463; the supporters and the second crest were granted and the arms confirmed by William Camden, Clarencieux, January 29th, 1602 ; and again entered in the visitation of London, taken in 1634.

Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 5th June 1883

Trev.

MCB
moderator
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby MCB » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:28 am

THOMAS WOOLNOUGH

He had also entered a mark at the Chester Assay Office from 128 Farringdon Road in 1895 comprising TW in a rectangle with a pellet bewtween the initials.
The 1901 UK Census for 17 Freegrove Road, Holloway shows he was aged 60 years and had become a traveller.
He was at the same address in 1911 and stated he was living on small savings as a jobbing jeweller.
He died at the same address in 1912.
The extract of the Probate of his Will at the Principal Registry in 1912 showed the "small savings" he reported in 1911 had prospered to be £11842+ which was the finally agreed value of his estate.
.
Mike

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:57 am

NEGRETTI & ZAMBRA

Holborn Viaduct, 1, Hatton Garden, 122, Regent Street, and 45, and 59, Cornhill, London

Image
Negretti & Zambra - London - 1881

Enrico (known as Henry) Angelo Ludovico Negretti (b.1817, d.1879) was born at Como, Italy, he arrived in London in 1829 and around 1843 entered into partnership with Francis Ciceri as barometer makers. The partnership was quite short lived, and was dissolved in 1846 and Negretti continued alone at one of the former business's premises at 19, Leather Lane. Also working as a barometer maker in the 1840's was Joseph Warren Zambra (b.1822, d.1897), who was in partnership with John Tagliabue at 11, Brooke Street, Holborn, they also dissolved their partnership, and in 1850 the famous firm of Negretti & Zambra was established.

By 1862, Negretti & Zambra were noted as having premises at 1, Hatton Garden, 122, Regent Street, and 59, Cornhill, they exhibited at numerous international exhibitions during the second half of the 19th century. The firm continued to flourish in the 20th century and were converted into a limited liability company in 1946 and became a public company in 1948.

Following the death of Henry Negretti in September, 1879, a new partnership was formed between his son, Henry Paul Joseph Negretti and Joseph Zambra and his son Joseph Caesar Zambra. Joseph Zambra retired in September, 1888, and following that event M. W. Zambra joined his brother J.C. Zambra and H.P.J. Negretti in partnership. When J.C. Zambra died in September, 1892, H.P.J. Negretti and M.W. Zambra carried on the partnership until September, 1909, when M.W. Zambra retired. A new partnership was then created between H.P.J. Negretti and his sons Henry Noel Negretti and Paul Ernest Negretti with M.W. Zambra, Jnr. H.P.J. Negretti died in January, 1919, and G. Zambra joined the other three in the partnership. He retired in September, 1921. The partnership was carried on by H.N. and P.E. Negretti with M.W. Zambra, Jnr., until September, 1935, when M.W. Zambra, Jnr. retired leaving H.N. and P.E. Negretti in partnership. In September, 1942, P.A. Negretti and P.N. Negretti, sons of P.E. Negretti, were also admitted into the partnership which continued until December, 1945 and the death of H.N. Negretti.

Image
Negretti & Zambra - London - 1883

An image of the premises of Negretti & Zambra can be found at Views of Silversmith's Premises

Negretti & Zambra entered their mark, 'N & Z' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, with the London Assay Office on the 9th February 1909.

Trev.

MCB
moderator
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby MCB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:33 am

Some more information has been uncovered concerning the founders of the partnership.

Joseph Warren Zambra
He was born in Saffron Walden in 1822. His father Joseph Caesar (Cesare) Zambra, a barometer maker and optician, was born in 1796 in Como, Italy (Henry Negretti was also born there). His mother Phyllis was from Saffron Walden.
He married Sarah Sophia Potts in 1847 at St Andrew, Holborn. She was born in Clerkenwell in 1825. He lived in Brooks Street.
They had four children:
Joseph Caesar born in London in 1847, Marcus Warren born in London in 1849, Sarah Phillis christened at St Andrews, Holborn in 1850 when their address was Manchester Street, Argyle Square and Julius James George christened at St Mark, Tollington Park when their address was Cambridge Villa, Seven Sisters Road.
His wife Sarah Sophia died in a carriage accident on the Isle of Wight in 1867.
In 1868 he applied for freedom by redemption in the Fruiterers Company when trading at 153 Fleet Street.
He married Sarah Tongue of Islington at St George, Tufnell Park, Islington in 1869. She was born in St Sepulchre parish, Holborn in 1825.
The UK Census recorded them at Carleton Road, Islington in 1871 and 1881 and at Greenhill Road, Hampstead in 1891.
In providing information to complete official records he referred to himself as an optician, only occasionally adding that he was a merchant, an indication of how he saw his role in the partnership.
The extract for Probate of his Will in 1898 shows he died at 80 Fitzjohn’s Avenue, South Hampstead in 1897. The value of his estate was £176394+.


Henry Negretti
He was born in Como, Italy in 1817. The previous post notes that he arrived in the UK in 1829. Despite his tender age of 12 years no evidence has come to light to show he was accompanied in the UK by his parents.
He was listed in the 1841 UK Census at Leather Lane along with Jane Pizzi aged 50 years and Addoni Negretti aged 15 years, all as glass blowers. The Dictionary of National Biographies Vol. 14 p.147-8 notes that he joined in partnership with M Pizzi as glassblowers and thermometer makers at Leather Lane in 1843.
His marriage was registered in Islington in 1845.
The 1851 UK Census showed him as a visitor living at Park Street, Islington with Samuel and Mary Peck and his daughter Mary L aged 3 years a granddaughter of the house owners. His wife was not resident. He was listed as a philosophical (sic) instrument maker.
In 1861 he was recorded at Emmet’s Cottages, Hornsey Road, Islington as an optical and meteorological instrument maker employing 29 men and 13 boys. His wife Mary and children Mary aged 13, Henry aged 9 and Caroline aged 6 years were also resident.
He died in Cricklewood. The extract for Probate of his Will in 1879 in the name Enrico Angelo Ludovico Negretti showed the executors as his wife Mary and his son Henry Paul Joseph, an optician and general commission merchant, both living in Cricklewood. The estate was valued at under £60000.

Mike

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40566
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some London Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:48 am

PARKINS & GOTTO

Oxford Street, London

Image
Parkins & Gotto - London - 1897

Parkins & Gotto were established in the 1840's, their original location being noted as 2, Hanway Street, Oxford Street, London. In the 1850's they removed to 23 & 25, Oxford Street and in 1891 they were recorded at 54, 56, 58, 60 & 62, Oxford Street. The firm was most noted for the huge variety of quality stock that it carried.

Following the death of the original Mr. Gotto in 1892, the firm passed to his son, Henry Gaisford Gotto, but he died in 1894 and the business passed to Christopher Lamb Gotto. In 1913 they were noted at 96, Oxford Street, and in 1916 at 167, Oxford Street.

Parkins & Gotto entered their first marks 'HGG' (Henry Gaisford Gotto) contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, at the London Assay Office on the 20th February 1891, a similar mark were entered on the 31st May 1892. Their second set of marks 'CLG' (Christopher Lamb Gotto) contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, were entered on the 18th May 1894.

Trev.


Return to “Contributors' Notes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests