HAMILTON & Co.7, Old Court House Street, Calcutta
Established by Robert Hamilton in 1808, initially at 5, Tank Square, and then to 7, Old Court House Street in 1809.
Robert Hamilton served his apprenticeship at Edinburgh under William Cunningham I in the 1780's, and after becoming Free, took two apprentices himself, William Howden, the nephew of the Edinburgh silversmith, Francis Howden, in 1801, and James Donaldson in 1804, neither were to complete their term with Hamilton by mid 1807 he had determined that his future lay in India. Hamilton arrived in India in August 1808 on board the 'Preston'
and immediately set up business in Tank Square, Calcutta under his own name, on the 3rd November 1808 he announced that: "he has fitted up the house No.5 Tank Square, corner of Council House Street, for carrying on the various branches of his business, as Jewellers, etc." In September 1811 his business was restyled to Hamilton & Co. following his entry into partnership with Henry Glazbrook and James Glazbrook, and although he retained an interest in the business, by December of the following year he had left Calcutta and had returned to Great Britain. By 1817 he had parted with his interest in the business and around that time acquired Bloomfield Hall at Norwood, Surrey, which was to remain his home until his death at Hove, Sussex on the 14th August 1847.
Following Robert Hamilton's departure from the business the directors of the company changed with great frequency, but the firm was successful and opened branches at Bombay and Simla. They finally closed their doors for the last time in 1973.
Hamilton & Co. - Calcutta - 1882
Some examples of the work of Hamilton & Co:
A mustard pot c.1930, complete with internal glass liner , the pot lid carries the crest of The Bengal Artillery AFI (Auxiliary Force India):
A pepper pot with similar engraving:
A Teaspoon c.1820:
Further details of the above spoon and its history can be found at: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=17851&p=40139
See also: http://www.925-1000.com/AngloIndian_01.html