dognose
Site Admin

Re: The Goldsmiths of Bath

Post by dognose »

FRANCIS SAWYER

21, Claverton Buildings, Widcombe, Bath

Obituary

Mr. F. SAWYER

The death took place recently, after an operation, of Mr. Francis Sawyer, of 21, Claverton Buildings, Widcombe, Bath, at the age of 73 years.

He was apprenticed to Mr. Jas. Allen, of Southgate Street, Bath, and commenced business in Claverton Buildings about 50 years ago.

The business will be carried on by his son, Mr. R.F. Sawyer.

Source: The Jeweller and Metalworker - 1st September 1932

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

GEORGE LANSDOWN

42, Milsom Street, Bath

G. Lansdown - Bath - 1845

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

PHILIP RUSSIAN

Bath

AN ALPHABETICAL LIST OF BANKRUPTS, From SATURDAY, AUGUST 26, To SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 23, 1820.

RUSSIAN, PHIL. Bath, jeweller, Oct. 21, Christopher, Bath. [Easton, Lambeth-road; and Raudolph, Bath. Sept. 9]

Source: The European Magazine, and London Review - 1820

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

W. WRIGHT Ltd.

1, Milsom Street, Bath

CLOSED DOWN

W. Wright Ltd., jewellers, have closed their shop at 57, Queens Road, Clifton, Bristol 8, and have transferred the business to 1, Milsom Street, Bath.

Source: Watchmaker, Jeweller & Silversmith - February 1959

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

SAMUEL HULBERT

28, Broad Street, Bath

MARRIED

March. 24, at Clifton, Mr. Samuel Hulbert, working jeweller, of Bath, to Mary Ann, youngest daughter of the late Mr. Clark, a member of the Society of Friends.

Source: The Bristol Mercury - 4th April 1835

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

C.T. GILMER

16, Old Bond Street, Bath

OBITUARY

Mrs. C.T. Gilmer, wife of the Bath jeweller, after a long illness.

Source: Watchmaker, Jeweller & Silversmith - March 1960

A sales box of C.T. Gilmer has been noted with 'late of Mallett & Son'

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

E.P. MALLORY & SON Ltd.

1-5, Bridge Street and 5, Old Bond Street, Bath

E.P. Mallory - Bath - 1918

E.P. Mallory - Bath - 1936

Established in 1898 by Edward Palmer Mallory (b.1862,d.1954) and later in partnership with his wife Margaret Turnbull (Newman) Mallory (b.1874,d.1964).

This was formerly the business of Edwin Routley (see above post).

The 1891 Census records Edward Mallory as a 'Jeweller's Assistant', perhaps with Routley.

The business continues today.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

EDWARD FRANCIS COLLINGS

31, Milsom Street, Bath

Collings - Bath - 1885

The Deeds of Arrangement Act, 1887.

Somerset

Collings, Edward Francis, 31, Milsom Street, Bath, jeweller and dealer in fancy goods. Trustee. A. C. Palmer, 7 and 8, Railway Approach, London Bridge, S.E., P.A., with a Committee of Inspection. Unsecured Liabilities, £1,702 14s. 3d. Estimated Net Assets, £1,100. Deed of Composition dated August 21, 1889 : filed August 23, 1889.

Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 2nd September 1889

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

SAMUEL MARTIN And JOHN MARTIN

Cheltenham and Bath

CERTIFICATES TO BE ALLOWED

October 4

Martin Samuel, and John Martin, of Cheltenham and Bath, silversmiths and watch-makers.

Source: Comprising Reports of Cases in the Courts of Chancery, King's Bench, and Common Pleas, from 1822 to 1835: And Law Journal Reports Divided Into Equity and Bankruptcy Cases. Common Law Cases 1836-1858, Volume 11; Volumes 1832-1833 - 1833

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THOMAS SMITH

43, Milsom Street, Bath

Bills of Sale

Smith, Thomas, 43, Milsom Street, Bath, Jeweller, &c. June 2. £3129 purchase money. Given to William T. Germain.

Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 5th July 1881

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

FREDERICK GUSTAV ADOLPHUS HORSTMANN

13, Union Street, and 4, Vale View Place, Bath

Bills of Sale

Horstmann, Frederick Gustav Adolphus, 13, Union Street, and 4, Vale View Place, Bath, Watch, etc., maker. June 22. Indemnity. Given to Frederick W. Purchase and others.

Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 5th July 1881

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

CHARLES HIBBERT

Margaret's Place, Walcot, Bath

An earlier entry in this topic notes a 'J. Hibbert' , an engraver of 8, Chapel Row, Bath, see: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ert#p56505 , who is likely to be identified with Charles Hibbert, an engraver, who was executed at Bath in 1819:

Execution of Charles Hibbert, of the city of Bath, engraver, for having in his possession a copper-plate, for the purpose of printing notes of the Bank of England; communicated by a person who attended the unhappy man in his last hours.—(From the Hampshire Telegraph.)

Hibbert slept the night previous to his execution very sound, and awoke about four o'clock on Wednesday morning, apparently quite tranquil. He was taken to the chapel, and at nine o'clock he partook of the Holy Sacrament. At half past ten the Under Sheriff attended, and the knell tolled the signal for the execution. Hibbert ascended the platform, and continued half an hour in earnest prayer with the reverend Chaplain. The executioner then proceeded in his sad office, and every thing being prepared, on Hibbert being left to himself, he called to Mr. Bridle (the humane governor of the county gaol) in a hurry, saying, he should fall, as his head became giddy, and having only one leg, he begged to sit down awhile: here his firmness forsook him for the first time; he was in great alarm and agony of mind; hassocks were brought from the chapel, on which he sat down, from whence, at about twenty minutes before twelve, he rose, and fell, never in this life to rise again! The executioner having proceeded in his sad office, so far that nothing but the falling of the drop remained to complete the career of this unhappy man, he died without a struggle.

He declined addressing the people assembled to witness his execution, saying, if his awful death had no effect, he was sure all he could say would be of no avail, to warn them against committing such crimes as had brought his life to so disgraceful a period. He declared that he had done no injury to the Bank of England, or to any other bank, except that of Messrs. Tylee, Salmon, and Co., of Devizes, and that the whole notes he prepared for issuing of that bank were under the value of £100.

Among the fragments of paper found in his cell, is the following :—" I am thankful for the existence and intellect the Almighty has given me, have no reason at present to doubt his mercy, and hope to resign with submission my immortal part into the hands of my Creator, to be disposed of as his infinite wisdom and mercy may direct."

In a recent letter to his wife, he sent her the following lines, the production of his muse:—

In the cell for condemn'd I remain;
But these walls show no terrors to me;
On my pillow of straw I exclaim,
" O God! take my spirit to thee"

I see through the bars of this place
The birds as they wanton in air,
While I am confined with disgrace,
But am seeking a pardon from pray'r.

If Mercy should dart me a ray,
And I'm destin'd to see you once more,
I will walk in the strait narrow way,
And try to keep sin from my door.

But ah! I reflect with dismay,
I think on the law with a sigh;
It seems in harsh accents to say,
"Thy warrant is issued to die."

Then fit me, O Lord, for the stroke,
On thy mercy and love I depend,
Make easy thy burden and yoke,
To thy will with submission I bend.

Source: The Parlour Portfolio, Or, Post-chaise Companion - 1820

8. September. 1819. Charles Hibbert, of Walcot, Bath, engraver, executed for forgery. Age 59.

He was a clever and ingenious engraver, executed for issuing forged notes on the Devizes Bank, resided at Walcot, Bath, and on the premises were found the plate from which the Devizes notes were worked oft, and several plates of notes of the banks of Ireland, Scotland, &c. Said to have been an accomplished forger, and lived in a brothel.

'Old Hibbert' as he was termed, was a one-legged man, and the scene on the scaffold at his execution a remarkable one. He was placed on the drop hand-cuffed, his arms pinioned behind, and the crutch he used to walk with strapped to his side to support him, as he could not use his hands. In this tottering condition, the rope was put round his neck, and the cap drawn over his face, when the poor wretch feeling giddy and faint, called on Bridle doubtless for support, some hassocks were procured for that purpose, and he was partially seated on them. For this last request, and the little extra trouble it occasioned, Bridle was accused of using some inhuman words, which Hunt made a special accusation against him, and at the enquiry it was both positively affirmed and as strongly denied. Immediately after the drop fell, and Hibbert was quivering in mid-air, harnessed in his crutch, irons and pinions, a gaol official catching back the hassocks to prevent their descending after him.

Source: West-Country Stories and Sketches, Biographical and Historical - William Henry Hamilton Rogers - 1895

Both the J. Hibbert and Charles Hibbert are likely to be identified with William Hibbert:

HIBBERT, WILLIAM
(fl. 1760-1800), etcher, practised chiefly at Bath towards the end of the eighteenth century. He etched several heads rather cleverly in the manner of T. Worlidge [q. v.] Among them were portraits of Laurent Delvaux and A. Watteau for Walpole's 'Anecdotes of Painting;' Elizabeth Gulston after Falconet; Walter Harte after Seeman : and various portraits prefixed to literary works or biographies, such as those of Richard Nash, the master of the ceremonies at Bath, John Ray the botanist, and others. He also etched the plates for 'The Amaranth,' a volume of religious poems, published in 1767. Bartolozzi engraved a trade-card for Hibbert, engraver, of 8 Bridge Street, Bath, probably the above.

Source: Dictionary of National Biography - 1891

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

FISHER

Bath

Early in February, the shop of Mr. Fisher, jeweller, of Bath, was broken into and stripped of nearly all its contents to the value of 1500l. The thieves got clear off.

Source: The Annual Register 1858 - 1859

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

NOBLE & CHIVERS

2,New Bond Street Buildings, New Bond Street, Bath

Source: The Art Journal - 1875

Noble & Chivers - Bath - c.1900

Established in 1770. Formerly the business of Thomas Noble.

Electric Lighting at Bath—Much satisfaction, says the Bath Herald, appears to be expressed with the effect of the electric light so far as it has been introduced in several business establishments in the centre of the city. Both arc and incandescent lamps are employed, the former for outdoor and indoor illumination, and the latter for indoor lighting only. Mr. Massingham and Mr. Stoffell, at the entrance to the Corridor, have each five arc lamps; but lower down, Messrs. Lloyd and Co.’s establishment is lighted throughout with incandescent lamps. Messrs. Noble and Chivers, New Bond Street Buildings, have an arc lamp outside and an incandescent lamp to light a side window, and also two similar lamps inside the shop. Mr. Alfred Taylor, New Bond Street, displays an arc lamp outside his shop, and has an incandescent lamp in an inner office. All those who are using the electric light inside as well as out are using no gas at all in their business premises. Arc lamps are also placed outside the shop of Mr. Pinch, Cheap Street, the Full Moon, Upper Borough Walls, and the Christopher Hotel. Mr. Massingham has also, at his own expense, placed five incandescent lamps in the reading room at the Athenaeum for a month, and we understand that the substitution of the light for gas has been very greatly appreciated. These incandescent lamps are all of 32 candle-power, while the arc lamps are of 1,200 candle-power, but are covered with opaque globes in order to somewhat subdue the light for shop purposes. Different globes would be used for street lighting.

Source: The Telegraphic Journal and Electrical Review - 19th October 1888

CREDITORS UNDER 22 & 23 VICT. C. 35. LAST DAY OF CLAIM AND TO WHOM PARTICULARS TO BE SENT:

CHIVERS (Maria), Branksea Hall, Parkstone, Dorsetshire, and carrying on business as a gold and silversmith at 2, New Bond-st-bldgs, Bath, under the style of Noble and Chivers, the wife of Walter Chivers, of Branksea Hall, gentleman. May 31

Source: The Law Times - 29th April 1899

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

J.D. HARRIS

5, Queen Square, Bath

J.D. Harris - Bath - 1864

This would be John Dafter Harris.

See also: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... ris#p95437

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

L. PROCH and L. GOTTHEIMER

Bath

PARTNERSHIPS DISSOLVED

June 1

PROCH L., and L. Gottheimer, Bath, jewellers.... 29 March

Source: The Law Advertiser - 3rd June 1824

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

J.W. ROSE

5, Old Bond Street, Bath

J.W. Rose - Bath - 1918

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THOMAS STAFFORD

Old Bond Street, Bath

Between Saturday night and Monday morning., the shop of Mr. Thomas Stafford, silversmith and jeweller, of Old Bond-street, Bath, was entered by false keys, and the whole of the valuable stock, value 2,000l. stolen. The thieves, it appears, were perfect adepts in house-breaking; and it was not until Mr. Stafford came to business on Monday that the robbery was discovered.

Source: The Cambrian - 3rd March 1821

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JAMES & NOBLE

12, Union Street, Bath

James and Noble - Bath - 1823

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”