Goldsmith's Wills

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Goldsmith's Wills

Post by dognose »

CHRISTOPHER HARINGTON

York

Chistopher Harington died on the 14th November 1614 (further details can be found at: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=18123" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Will 14 November 1614 proved 22 December 1614 to be burried in his parish church near his children. Executor and legatee wife, Alice. Left seven plain gold rings, a gold ring set with five white sapphires, and a set of silver buttons for a doublet. Left a silver spoon worth 10s to the Goldsmiths' Company, his 'amellinge Morter and pestell and a paire of amellinge tonges' to 'my mann' James Plummer, goldsmith, who had been apprenticed to him. All other shop tools and other implements belonging to his craft were to be valued and his son, Robert, could have them, if he wished, at a reasonable rate, as part of the portion of the estate due to him. After various bequests the residue of his estate were to be equally divided between his wife, Alice and his sons, Robert and Thomas.

One of the witnesses was Thomas Waite, goldsmith.

Source: Directory of York Goldsmiths, Silversmiths & Associated Craftsmen - Hugh Murray - 1998

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

WILLIAM JAMES DINGLEY

See page six of: Some Birmingham Trade Cards and Advertisements

Last Will and Testament of William James Dingley, dated 13th October 1931. Proved in Birmingham on the 11th November 1932.

T H I S IS THE L A S T W I L L AND T E S T A M E N T of me WILLIAM JAMES DINGLEY of No. 15 Westfield Road Edgbaston in the City of Birmingham Gentleman which I make this 13th day of October One thousand nine hundred and thirty one.

1. I HEREBY REVOKE all former Wills Codicils and testamentary instruments at any time heretofore made by me.

2. I APPOINT my daughter Dorothy Muriel Smith my son-in-law Samuel Smith and my Nephew Donald Dingley to be EXECUTRIX EXECUTORS AND TRUSTEES of this my Will. And I declare that the expression "my Trustees" shall include the said Dorothy Muriel Smith Samuel Smith and Donald Dingley and the survivors or survivor of them or other the Trustee or Trustees for the time being of this my Will whether original or substituted where the context so requires or admits and if there shall for the time being be no such trustees or trustee shall (where the context permits) include the persons or person empowered by Statute to exercise or perform any power or trust hereby or by statute conferred upon my Trustees willing or bound to exercise or perform the same and I APPOINT my Trustees to be Trustees for all the purposes of the Settled Land Act 1925. And I give to the said Samuel Smith Fifty pounds and to the said Donald Dingley One hundred pounds in case they shall respectively prove my Will and act in the trusts thereof free of all duties.

3. I BEQUEATH free of all duties to my daughter the said Dorothy Muriel Smith absolutely all my watches jewels trinkets personal ornaments and wearing apparel and all my furniture plate plated goods linen china glass books (except books of account) manuscripts pictures prints statuary musical instruments articles of virtue and all other articles of personal domestic or household use or ornament wines liquors and consumable stores and provisions and my motor cars and accessories and all my plants and garden tools and implements.

4. I BEQUEATH to my Chauffeur David Evans free of all duties in addition to any moneys owing to him as wages by me at my death the sum of One hundred pounds provided he shall be in my employ at the time of my death and shall not be under notice to leave whether given or received.

5. I DEVISE AND BEQUEATH all my real and personal estate of which I shall be possessed or to which I shall be entitled or over which I have or shall at the time of my death have a disposing power and which is not hereby otherwise disposed of Unto my Trustees absolutely Upon trust to receive possess and deal therewith according to the directions hereinafter contained.

6. MY TRUSTEES shall subject as hereinafter mentioned at such times and in such manner as they in their absolute and uncontrolled discretion shall think fit sell and convert into money such part of my trust property as shall not consist of money and shall out of the proceeds thereof and the money of which I shall die possessed pay my funeral and testamentary expenses and debts and the legacies hereby or by any Codicil hereto bequeathed and make provision for the duties on legacies bequeathed free of duty and shall invest the residue thereof in any mode of investment hereinafter authorised.

7. I AUTHORISE and direct my Trustees to appropriate and set apart a part of my estate or investments representing the same (such investments being investments upon which trust funds or cash under the control or subject to the Order of the High Court of Justice may for the time being be authorised by law to be invested) to the value of Eight thousand pounds at the time of appropriation with power from time to time at their absolute and uncontrolled discretion to vary such investments And to hold the same subject as hereinafter mentioned and declared and the income thereof free of all duties UPON TRUST to pay the income to my daughter Phyllis Eileen Dingley for her life without power of anticipation and after her death upon trust for such of her children or child who being male attain the age of twenty one years or being female attain that age or marry if more than one in equal shares as tenants in common But in the event of the said Phyllis Eileen Dingley dying without leaving issue her surviving who being male attain the age of twenty one years or being female attain that age or marry then I direct that the same shall fall into and form part of my residuary estate. AND I DECLARE that the said sum of Eight thousand pounds shall take priority over all other legacies and bequests under this my Will or any Codicil hereto.

8. I FURTHER authorise and direct my Trustees to appropriate and set apart a part of my estate and investments representing the same (such investments being investments upon which trust funds or cash under the control or subject to the order of the High Court of Justice may for the time being be authorised by law to be invested) to the value of Three thousand pounds at the time of appropriation with power from time to time at their discretion to vary such investments and to hold the same subject as hereinafter mentioned and declared upon trust

(a) To pay the income thereof to my said daughter Dorothy Muriel Smith for her life without power of anticipation and after her death

(b) To hold the same upon the same trusts as to both capital and income as are hereinafter declared concerning my residuary estate.

9. I FURTHER AUTHORISE AND DIRECT my Trustees to appropriate and set apart a part of my estate and investments representing the same (such investments being investments upon which trust funds or cash under the control or subject to the order of the High Court of Justice may for the time being be authorised by law to be invested) to the value of Seven thousand pounds at the time of appropriation with power from time to time at their absolute and uncontrolled discretion to vary such investments and to hold the same subject as hereinafter mentioned and declared UPON TRUST

(a) To pay the income thereof by equal half yearly payments on two of the usual half yearly days the first payment to be a quarterly payment on the first quarter day after my death and the succeeding payments to be made half yearly from such quarter day to my son Alan Clifford Dingley for his life or until he shall alienate or charge the same or become bankrupt or do or suffer any act or thing whereby the same or any part thereof would or might but for this present provision become vested in or payable to any other person or persons.

(b) And after the happening of any event herein before mentioned my Trustees shall hold the said Seven thousand pounds or the investments representing the same and the income thereof on protective trusts (Section 33 of the Trustee Act 1925) for the benefit of my said son for the period of his life And after his death and subject as herein before provided.

(c) UPON TRUST for such of his children or child who being male attain the age of twenty one years or being female attain that age or marry if more than one in equal shares as tenants in common and in the event of my said son Alan Clifford Dingley dying without leaving issue him surviving who being male attain the age of twenty one years or being female attain that age or marry then I direct that the same shall fall into and form part of my residuary estate PROVIDED further that in case my said son the said Alan Clifford Dingley shall receive any benefit or share under the Will or intestacy of his sister the said Phyllis Eileen Dingley I direct and authorise my trustees to pay in manner aforesaid such part of the income of the said sum of Seven thousand pounds or the investments representing the same as will with the income received by him from the share or benefit under his said sister's Will or intestacy if invested at Five pounds per cent per annum amount to the sum of Three hundred and fifty pounds per annum but in no case shall the income given to my said son exceed the income actually received by my Trustees in respect of the said sum of Seven thousand pounds or the investments representing the same.

(d) SUBJECT as aforesaid I direct that the said sum of Seven thousand pounds and the income thereof shall fall into and form part of my residuary estate.

10. SUBJECT as aforesaid and as hereinafter provided my Trustees shall hold my residuary estate IN TRUST to pay the income thereof to my daughter the said Dorothy Muriel Smith for her life without power of anticipation And after her death Upon trust as to both capital and income in equal shares (if more than one) for all or any the children or child of my daughter the said Dorothy Muriel Smith living at the date of the death of the survivor of myself and the said Dorothy Muriel Smith who attain the age of twenty one years or marry under that age and for all or any of the issue living at the said date who attain the age of twenty one years or marry under that age of any child of the said Dorothy Muriel Smith who dies before the said date or is already dead leaving issue living at the said date such issue to take through all degrees according to their stocks in equal shares (if more than one) the share which their parent would have taken if living at the said date and so that no issue shall take whose parent is living at the said date and so capable of taking.

11. I EMPOWER my Trustees at their absolute and uncontrolled discretion to do all or any of the following things that is to say:-

(a) To postpone the conversion of any part of my estate notwithstanding that such part may be of a perishable or wearing out nature or of an unauthorised description for so long as they shall think And in the meantime the rents and income of my estate remaining unconverted shall from and after my decease go and be applied in like manner as is herein before directed concerning the income of the proceeds of my resi­duary estate when converted.

(b) To invest any money liable to be invested under this my Will in or upon one or more of the investments or securit­ies for the time being authorised by law as investments for trust funds with power to vary investments for the time being representing trust property for any other authorised investment.

(c) To exercise over or in relation to all or any of the here­ditaments of whatsoever tenure for the time being held upon the trusts of this my Will all such powers of leasing and sale and other powers of every description which may be applicable thereto as are by the Settled Land Act 1925 conferred upon tenants for life and so that all the provisions of the said Act which are subsidiary or incidental to such powers shall be deemed to apply and be incorporated in this my Will as far as circumstances may admit subject nevertheless to the provisions herein contained.

(d) To sell any hereditaments subject to any conditions (whether actually required by the state of the title or other circumstances or not) which may he deemed expedient.

12. I AUTHORISE my Trustees at any time or times at their discretion to appropriate any of the investments shares or securities held by my Trustees or which may be acquired by my Trustees under the powers herein before contained in their actual state of investment in or towards satisfaction of any share of my residuary estate with power for that purpose conclusively to determine the value of the investments shares and securities in such manner as they shall think fit PROVIDED ALWAYS and I declare that all such investments shares and securities held or so acquired as well before as after appropriation under the power lastly herein before contained in satisfaction of any share not absolutely vested in possession and immediately payable and transferable shall be and notwithstanding such appropriation remain subject to the trusts and powers of sale and conversion and varying investments herein declared and contained concerning my residuary estate or such of the same trusts and powers as may be applicable thereto and in the same manner as if no such appropriation had been made.

13. I DECLARE that my Trustees and each of them shall be respectively chargeable only for such monies and securities as they respectively shall actually receive notwithstanding their respectively signing any receipt for the sake of conformity and shall be answerable and responsible only for their own respective acts actual receipts omissions neglects and defaults and not for those of any other trustee nor of any banker broker auctioneer or other person with whom or into whose hands any trust moneys or securities shall be deposited or come nor for the deficiency in value of any investments nor for any loss unless the same shall happen through their own wilful default respectively And also that my Trustees and each of them may reimburse themselves himself or herself and pay and discharge out of the trust premises all expenses incurred in or about the execution of the said trusts or powers of this my Will.

14. I DIRECT that Trustees' Accounts shall be prepared yearly at the expense of my estate and I desire that my Trustees lodge all securities with a Bank or Safe Deposit Company except when required by my Trustees or their Solicitor in connection with the winding up of my estate.

15. I EXPRESS the wish but not so as to impose any obligation on my Trustees or create any trust that in the winding up or in the management of my estate or affairs where a Solicitor and/or Accountant is employed that my old friends and present Accountant and Solicitor Ralph Bridgwater and Edwin Newey respectively shall where possible be employed by my Trustees and I recommend to my Trustees and to my daughter the said Dorothy Muriel Smith the services of these two friends.

16. I FURTHER DIRECT that in paying my debts funeral and testamentary expenses my Trustees shall not (unless they see good reason to the contrary) apply any income of my estate in or towards the payment of any part of the capital of any such matters as aforesaid or any part of the interest (if any) due thereon at the date of my death and my Trustees shall not be deemed to have so applied any part of the said income any rule of law or of administration to the contrary notwithstanding My Trustees shall however (unless they see good reason to the contrary) apply income of my estate in payment of interest (if any) accruing due upon any such matters as aforesaid after the date of my death up to the actual payment thereof.

17. ANY Trustee being an Accountant Solicitor or other person engaged in any profession or business may be so employed or act and shall be entitled to charge and be paid all professional or other charges for any business or act done by him or his firm in connection with the trusts hereof including acts which a trustee could have done personally.

18. LASTLY it is my very sincere wish and greatest desire that every consideration love and kindness shall be extended to my dear afflicted daughter Phyllis Eileen Dingley and I am confident that this wish of mine will be carried out in every way by my Trustees in whom I have every trust confidence and faith.

19. THE breviate or headings in the margin of this my Will shall not be taken as part thereof or in any manner affect the interpretation or construction thereof.

IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto set my hand.

W.J. DINGLEY

SIGNED by the said William James Dingley in our joint presence and by us at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other.

RICH. J. DINGLEY 330 Hagley Rd Birmingham Manufacturer
E. NEWEY Solicitor Birmingham.

On the 11th November 1932 probate of this Will was granted at Birmingham.

PROBATE

BE IT KNOWN that: WILLIAM JAMES DINGLEY of 15 Westfield Road Edgbaston in the City of Birmingham died: there on the: 21st day of August 1932.

AND BE IT FURTHER KNOWN that at the date hereunder written the last Will and Testament: -
of the said deceased was proved and registered in the District Probate Registry of His Majesty's High Court of Justice at: BIRMINGHAM
and that administration of all the estate which by law devolves to and vests in the personal representative of the said deceased was granted by the aforesaid Court to:

DOROTHY MURIEL SMITH of 15 Westfield Road aforesaid (Wife of Samuel Smith) Daughter of the deceased the said SAMUEL SMITH of 15 Westfield Road aforesaid Justice of the Peace and DONALD DINGLEY of 465 Gillot Road Edgbaston aforesaid Manufacturer Nephew of the deceased the Executors named in the said Will
Dated the: 11th day of: November 19:32.
Gross value of Estate…: £49938-16s-11d
Net value of Personal Estate: £43501-10s-1d
Extracted by: E. C. Newey & Son, Solicitors. BIRMINGHAM.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

HENRY SMITH

London

Curious Will
In the Universal Magazine for February 1766, is the following notice:- "On Tuesday, according to the annual custom, the charity of Henry Smith was distributed to the poor of all the parishes in the county of Surrey. Smith was a silversmith in London, but in 1691, left his business to go a begging; he left £50 a year to every market town in Surrey, and £10 a year to almost every parish in the county, except Mitcham, because he had been whipped out of it as a common vagrant."

Source: Liverpool Mercury - 17th May 1833

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

HENRY ELKINGTON

Birmingham

Some partial information regarding the will of Henry Elkington can be found here: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 61&t=34103

Trev.
weymannrolls

Post by weymannrolls »

The Will of Gabriel Player - Gentleman of West Malling, Kent

Written 28th March 1738; buried West Malling 12th October 1744; will proved 20th October 1744 (National Archives reference PROB 11/735/454).

Gabriel Player, goldsmith, was apprenticed to John Hudson between 1687 and 1696 (Grimwade).
According to Heal he was active in London 1700-1704 and 1710, and in Malling, Kent in 1727. Also on record is a silver bowl and cover by Gabriel Player, hallmarked London 1713 (Sotheby's Olympia sale, 19th April 2007, Lot 199). Given the date of his apprenticeship, Gabriel Player would have been aged about 70 when he died. Heal's Malling, 1727 entry is assumed to have come from Goldsmiths' Hall or a similarly reliable source, whilst evidence from the Will and history of Gabriel Player of West Malling is offered in support of identification with the goldsmith of the same name.

Gabriel Player married Jane (maiden name unknown) in c.1700, who lived in West Malling while he continued to work in London/Middlesex. Their daughter Anne was baptised at West Malling on 4th August 1706, and daughter Jane likewise on 2nd September 1707. A third daughter, Mary, appears in the will, married and living in London where her father — a Freeman — owned properties in the Parish of St. Sepulchre's. Gabriel Player is styled 'Gentleman of West Malling' in documents from 1723 onwards. Not mentioned in the will is a fine house (Went House, c.1720) and land in West Malling which afforded him the title 'Gentleman', and which was owned by his widow according to an estate map drawn in 1747 for the attorney, Francis Brooke (British Library, Egerton MS. 3021S). Went House then passed to his daughter Anne, through her marriage (c.1766) to Charles Downman of Sheerness and Rochester, and thence to his nephew, artist John Downman ARA.
Gabriel Player seems to have led a very private life for a small town squire, being notably absent from Parish affairs and desiring to be buried “as privately as may be, and not in a pompous manner”.

The Will is summarised:

I Gabriel Player … being infirm in body but of sound and disposing mind and memory (praises be to God) do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament … dated the twenty eighth day of March … Anno 1738.

Item. … two adjoining messuages in Sharp's Alley, Cow Cross in the Parish of St. Sepulchres now or late in the occupation of Edward Smith, and all other messuages in St. Sepulchres to my daughter Mary Clarke, the wife of John Clarke for life. After her decease to any daughters or sons to share as tenants in common...
Item. ...Twenty pounds to my daughter Mary Clarke to be paid her in three months after my decease...
Item. … to my daughter Mary Clarke all my wearing apparel of linen or woollen or of any other sort...
Item. I do hereby give, forgive and release the said John Clarke all and every debt, sume and sumes [i.e. sum or sums] of money whatsoever.
Item. … to my brother-in-law Francis Bathurst Esquire and to my sisters-in-law Mrs. Mary Bathurst and Mrs. Anne Maynard and to my friends Humphry Style, William Bynn and Francis Brooke a ring of gold of a guinea price to wear in remembrance of me.
Item. … all those my severall messuages, tenements... and several pieces or parcells of land, arable, meadow, pasture and wood … in Trottescliffe in the County of Kent, and now or late in the tenure or occupation of William Tomlyn … and which I purchased of and from William Tomlyn, Nicholas Tomlyn and John Smith … and all other messuages in Trottescliffe and elsewhere in Kent … unto my loving wife Jane Player … and after her decease I give and devise the same unto my daughter Anne Player … forever. [The Trottescliffe farm was sold by Jane Player after 1762]
And whereas by Indenture bearing the date on or about [13th March 1732] and made between the said John Clarke and the said Mary his wife of the one part and me the said Gabriel Player of the other part, writing as therein notified in consideration of the sume of six hundred and ten pounds formerly paid by me to the said John Clarke and Mary his said wife of the orphanage or child's part of the said Mary my daughter out of my Estate. And of the sume of forty pounds … to them in hand then paid by me … did covenant and agree with me … that they would accept and take the said sumes of money … in full discharge and satisfaction of the customary orphanage* … and that neither should or would at any time thereafter claim, challenge, sue for, request,or demand any customary orphanage or residuary or other share or part of the Estate or effects of me the said Gabriel Player (except what I should give them from my last Will or some other writing) either by virtue of the Custom of the City of London, the Statute of Distribution of Intestates Estates or by any other Custom, Law or Usage whatsoever ... [continuing on the subject for half a page with no further legacies].
Sole executrix: Jane Player. Witnesses: Francis Brooke, Francis Moyse and Thomas Smith.

Francis Brooke, attorney of West Malling, managed the affairs of Gabriel's widow, Jane, until her death in 1768. He also leased Went House from Jane Player between 1748 and c.1768. Francis Moyse, solicitor articled to Francis Brooke in 1733, died 1761.

*Customary Orphanage: See the customs and Act of Parliament (1693/4) regarding inheritance by orphans of Freemen of London in John Strype's 'A Survey of the Cities of London and Westminster' (1720) Book 5, Chapter 28 pp.372-4 (Orphans Court and Freemens Wills). Gabriel Player's legal concerns are illustrated by the following extract (p.374):

If a Freeman shall give Part of his Estate to any of his Children in Marriage, or otherwise, in his Life-time; and afterwards die, and make a Will, and give away his Estate to his other Children; and shall declare, that the Child he so diposed in Marriage, had received 500l. or more, of his Estate, and was thereby fully advanced; such Declaration shall not bar the Person so married, but he or she may recover an equal Share, with the other Children, of the Personal Estate that belonged to such Freeman at the time of his Death. But then such Person must bring in the Money received of his [or her?] Father in his Life-time and reckon it Part of the Estate left by such Freeman at his Death. And such bringing in the Money is called bringing it into Hotchpot.

In summary, Gabriel Player, London goldsmith, is currently unrecorded after 1713, whilst Gabriel Player of West Malling and Freeman of London is recorded (with no details of occupation or profession) from 1706 until his death in 1744. He was comparatively wealthy by c.1720, and purchased more land in Kent before writing his will in 1738.
weymannrolls

Post by weymannrolls »

The Will of John Hudson, Goldsmith of London

Written 10th January 1698. Proved 3rd September 1705 (NA Ref. PROB 11/464/184).

Beneficiaries:

To sister Mary Robertson, £500
To sister Ann Eddowes, £500
To sister Esther Cairy (wife of Thomas - ), £100
To brother Roger Hudson, residue of personal and real Estate: all lands, tenements, goods, chattels etc.
Sole executor: Roger Hudson. Witnesses: Jos. Beadle, James Stone, Edwd. Burtby(?)

Notes:
Heal p.179: Hudson, John and Roger, goldsmiths; Lombard Street. 1695
Grimwade: Gabriel Player apprenticed to John Hudson, 1687-1696
Heal p.179: Hudson, John, goldsmith; Royal Exchange & Grasshopper, Lombard Street. 1702-(Buried) 1705
Heal's further entries for Roger Hudson and Sir Roger Hudson might require clarification (not in my Grimswade 1976 edition).
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

SIMPSON ASHBRIDGE

London

The will of Mr. Simpson Ashbridge, late of 568, Mile-end Road, 1, Waterloo Terrace, Commercial Road, East, and 49 and 51, Mile-end Road, L Pawnbroker and Silversmith, who died on January 13th last, was recently proved by Mr. Samuel Prentice Ashbridge, Mr. John Ashbridge, and Mr. Samuel Prentice, the executors, the value of the personal estate amounting to upwards of £30,000. The testator bequeaths £500, an annuity of £800, and all his furniture and household effects to his wife, Mrs. Susannah Ashbridge ; £500 each to his children, John, Arthur, Catherine, Susannah, and Mary Ann ; £500 a year each to his sons, Samuel Prentice and Alfred Telfer, during the life of his wife, and an annuity of £72 to his sister, Mrs. Sarah Smith. On the death of his wife he gives his shop and business, 568, Mile-end Road, to his son John; 1, Waterloo Terrace, to his son Samuel Prentice ; and 49 and 51, Mile-end Road, to his son Alfred Telfer ; and there are specific gifts of numerous freehold, leasehold, and copyhold house property in the East end of London, to his other children. The residue of his real and personal estate he leaves between his children (with the exception of Samuel Prentice and Alfred Telfer).

Source: The Watchmaker, Jeweller and Silversmith - 2nd April 1888

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

[quote="dognose"]George Hall (Grimwade 816)

The Last Will and Testament of George Hall of the Strand in the County of Middlesex Goldsmith I give devise and bequeath unto my friend William Hodder of Ely Place London to whom I am indebted in the sum of (5000) five thousand pounds and upwards and to to [sic] his heirs executors and assigns all that my right Title & interest of & in certain Letters Patent bearing date the Eighteenth day of July one thousand eight hundred and ten and granted to me my executors adm[inistrator]ors and assigns for certain improvements in the art of working and making Spoons Forks & such other articles of Gold Silver and other Metals as usually were or might be Stamped or Struck by means of seals and punches or dies of any kind or description and likewise in the Tools and Instruments to be used in carrying the said Improvements into Effect & practice together with the said Letters Patent and all benefit and advantage thereof All other the Estate and Effects both real and personal of what nature and kind soever which I may be possessed of or in any manner entitled unto at the time of my decease for his & their absolute use and benefit....[quote] Coincidently, in 1817 William Hooder's estate was disposed of in a similar manner; everything went to his creditors.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JOHN BENNETT

Greenwich

“I, John Bennett, of Greenwich in the county of Kent, silversmith, do give and bequeath, unto my dear wife, Elizabeth Sinnock Bennett, Mr. Geo. Smith, wine-merchant, of Park-row, Greenwich, and Mr. Geo. Sargent, of Battle in the county of Sussex, linendraper, in trust, all my freeholds, leaseholds, funded or other property, whether goods, chattels, stocks in trade or other of what kind soever it may be : my intention being to comprise, in this bequest, every kind of property that I may die possessed of, leaving to her, my said wife, and said trustees in trust for the undermentioned purpose, viz. to pay over all the rents, profits, &c., arising from the leasehold and freehold property, unto my said wife for the education and advancing in life of any children she may have born by me, and also to dispose of and receive all my personal property, of what kind soever it may consist, for the same purpose, and likewise for the income and maintenance; but none of my said freehold or leasehold property to be disposed of or sold, but the income arising out of it to be applied as above to their maintenance and support and the advancement in life and support of my child or children; and, after her death, the whole of the said property in trust, either freehold, leasehold, or any other property of mine or arising out of the management of this trust, to be divided equally, share and share alike, among my said children male or female, share and share alike, in equal proportions: but it is my will that whatever furniture, plate for the use of my house, not being part of my stock in trade, books, furniture, china or other things being for the use or ornament of my dwelling-house, be my said wife's for her own use and benefit, subject to no control of the said trust who are above named as joined with her for the preservative of my other property for my children after her decease; and further that, in order to discharge my said trust for the sums of money received annually or in any way for rents or interest, that the receipt of my said wife in her own handwriting, and that only, shall be a discharge for them from liability to my said child or children for the sum or sums of money so received; and my said wife's receipts so given shall be considered as their full and complete discharge from all future responsibility for the sum or sums so named in it: and further it shall and is lawful for my said trust, out of any and every part of my personal property, consisting of securities for money, stock in trade, the lease of my house I reside in, book-debts or the good-will of my business, to pay off any sum or sums of money owing by me; and further to borrow money on security of my freehold and leasehold property to pay any portion, or secure the payment of any portion of debts I may owe at my decease, should the disposal of the above stock in trade, book-debts, &c. be insufficient; but not to borrow money on the said leasehold and freehold estates for no other purpose than to pay the said debts owing at my decease.”

The testator died in February, 1829, leaving his wife and four children by her surviving him.

Source: The Revised Reports: Being a Republication of Such Cases in the English Courts of Common Law and Equity : from the Year 1785, as are Still of Practical Utility, Volume 51 - 1901

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

WILLIAM NICHOLSON (Smith, Nicholson & Co.)

London

The will of William Nicholson, formerly of Duke-street, Lincoln's-inn, manufacturing silversmith, late of Aston Clinton, Bucks, who died December 23 last, was proved in London on the 15th ult, under £30,000. After the death of his wife he bequeaths the following charitable bequests:—To the Silver Trade Pension Society and the Asylum for Fatherless Children, Reedham, each £1,000 ; St. Ann's School, London Missionary Society, City Mission, and London Congregational Building Society, each £500 ; Colonial Missionary Society, Home Bible Society, Hackney College, Asylum for Incurables, Aged Pilgrims' Friend, Pastors' Retiring Fund, Goldsmiths' Benefit Society, Infirmary at Aylesbury, Refuge in Great Queen-street, Marylebone Almshouses, St John's-wood, each £300 ; Gray's-inn Hospital; Asylum for Idiots, Earlswood; Deaf and Dumb Asylum, Home Teaching Society for the Blind, Blind Asylum, Cripples' Home and Laundry, Hospital for Sick Children, Christian Union Almshouses, Orphan Working School at Haverstock-hill, Infant Orphan Asylum at Wanstead, Commercial Travellers' School at Pinner, Warehousemen and Clerks' School; School for the daughters of Missionaries, Walthamstow ; London Congregational Association for the Evangelisation of the Metropolis; St. George's, Bloomsbury, and St. Giles's Charity Schools, each £200 ; to the trustees of Whitfield's Chapel, £300 ; and a further sum £100 t o be distributed amongst the poorer men assembling there.

Source: The Illustrated London News - February 1868

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

GEORGE HUNT HEIGHAM

139, High Holborn, London

A FORTUNE FOR CHARITY

The late Mr. George Hunt Heigham. of 42, Porchester-terrace, Hyde Park. and 139, High Holborn, silversmith, who died on March 23rd, left an estate valued at £100,576. He made the following bequests:

£1,000 to Hospital for Sick Children. Great Ormond-street.

£500 each to Charing-cross Hospital, Royal Free Hospital, National Refuges for Homeless and Destitute Children, University College Hospital, King's College Hospital, Guy's Hospital, Great Northern Hospital, Middlesex Hospital, London Fever Hospital, Lock Hospital, Cancer Hospital, Fulham, Consumption Hospital, Fulham, National Lifeboat Institution, the London Hospital, and Queen Charlotte's Lying-in Hospital.

£300 to St. Mary's Hospital, Paddington.

£200 to Bloomsbury Dispensary.

£1,000 to the Silver Trades' Pension Society, and

The residue of the property to King Edward's Hospital Fund.

Source: The Glamorgan Gazette - 20th April 1906

George Hunt Heigham was born in 1828, the son of Thomas George Heigham and Sophia Heigham (nee Roper)

George married Lucy Leborne in 1856 and married again in 1884 to Susanna Johnson Blatchley.

The English census for 1861 records George Heigham at 139 High Holborn, described as ‘silversmith and dealer in works of art’ aged 33 born in Norfolk, married to Lucy aged 32.

A trade card (c.1865) in the John Johnson collection at the Bodleian Library, Oxford, records ‘G.H. Heigham, Silversmith, 139 High Holbrn, Dealer in Antique Plate & Articles of Vertu’

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THOMAS WOOLLEY

36, Bridge Street Row, Chester

Major Thomas Woolley, of Brookside, Grange road, Chester, for many years carried on business in the city as a jeweller, and was warden of the Goldsmith Company in Chester, served in the 2nd V.B. Regiment at Chester, and gained the long-service medal, who died February 6, appointed his daughter, Miss Mary Woolley, of Brookside, and his son, Mr. Fred. Duke Woolley, of 8, Alexander-road, Moss Side, Manchester, physician, executors, by whom the estate is returned at £4,017. 4s. 2d. gross, and £1,238. 11s. 10d. nett.

Source: The Chester Courant - 17th April 1907

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

CHARLES RAWLINGS (RAWLINGS & SUMMERS)

London

The will of Charles Rawlings, Esq., of Great Marlborough-street, and Cheyne-wall, Chelsea, was proved in London under £40,000. The executors appointed are the relict, together with Thomas Elliot Price and James Percy Phillips, Esqrs. The will bears date March, 1863, and contains numerous legacies to relatives and personal friends, as well as many charitable bequests. His widow takes a life interest in the residue, and upon her decease legacies are left to two nieces and the widow of a nephew. The ultimate residue he has bequeathed to his nephew, Charles Rawlings, Esq. The following are the charitable bequests : The Clockmakers' Company, £100; Dramatic College, £100; Jewellers' Annuity Society, £400; Goldsmiths' Benevolent Society, £400; Chelsea Relief Association, £200; Chelsea Rectors' Garden School, £200; Infant School, St. Luke's, Chelsea, £200; Chelsea, Brompton, and Belgrave Dispensary, £500; Chelsea National Day and Sunday Schools, £200; City of London Truss Society, £500; Society of Musicians, £100; Reform Association, £100; Blind Institution, Euston-road, £200; and Westminster Hospital, £500. All legacies to be paid free of duty.

Source: Illustrated News - December 1863

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

LOUIS DEE

London

The will (dated March 25, 1883) of Mr. Louis Dee, late of No. 8, Sherwood-street, Golden-square, wholesale jeweller and silversmith, and of No. 71, The Grove, Hammersmith, who died on August 23 last, was proved on the 23rd ult. by Mrs. Charlotte Maudslay Dee, the widow, and Henry William Dee, the brother, the executors, the value of the personal estate amounting to over £31,000. The testator, after bequeathing several legacies, leaves the residue of his property, upon trust, for his wife, for life. At her death, among other further legacies, he gives £50 each to the Goldsmiths' Benevolent Institution, the Goldsmiths' Annuity Institution, the Silver Trade Pension Society, and the Clock and Watchmakers' Asylum. As to the ultimate residue, one third is to be held upon trust as his wife shall appoint; and the other two thirds for his brother George, for life, and is then to be divided among various members of his family.

Source: The Flintshire Observer - 27th November 1884

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

FREDERICK ELKINGTON

Birmingham

Will of Mr. F. Elkington

Mr Frederick Elkington, D.L., J.P., of Sion Hill, Wolverley, Kidderminster, Worcester, chairman of the directors of Messrs Elkington and Co., Ltd., silversmiths, and electro-platers, of Newhall-street, Birmingham, extraordinary director of the Scottish Equitable Life Assurance Society, and inter- ested in Elliott's Metal Co., Ltd., formerly of Mold, Flint, well-known for his liberal support of charities, he having with his brothers built St. Mary's Church, at Burry Port, Carmarthenshire, an officer of the Legion of Honour, alderman, D.L., J.P., for Worcestershire (high-sheriff, 1878), a life governor of the University of Birmingham, who died on the 2nd January last, aged 78 years, eldest son of the late Mr George Richards Elkington, the patentee of electro-plating, left estate of the gross value of £91,889 18s., of which the net personalty has been sworn at £72,167 15s. 9d. Probate of his will dated 25th March, 1899, with a codicil of the 6th March, 1903, has been granted to his sons, Mr Herbert Frederick Elkington, of Clunes, Sutton Coldfield, Warwick, manufacturer, and Mr Berard Bartleet Elkington, of 19, Randolph-road, the testator's brother, Mr James B. Elkington, having renounced probate. The testator bequeathed £100 each to Birmingham General Hospital, Birmingham Children's Hospital, Birmingham Eye Hospital, Birmingham Homoeopathic Hospital, and Queen Hospital at Birmingham. He bequeathed his family portraits to his son Herbert, and he left all other pictures and articles of vertu to be distributed as per schedule attached to his will. He bequeathed to his coachman, Edward Pope, if in his service at the decease £100, and to each servant of three years' service £10, and to those of less than three years' service £5. He left an annuity of £50 to Mary Agnes Lomas, and a legacy of £2,000 to each of his daughters, Emily Mary and Gertrude Elizabeth Elkington. All his guns, fishing tackle, and sporting implements he bequeathed to his three sons, Herbert, Frederick, Gerard Bartleet, and William Howard. All the rest and residue of his estate he left for distribution among his seven children, Herbert Frederick, Gerard Bartleet, William Howard, Mrs Mary Nevill, Emily Mary, Gertrude Elizabeth, and Beatrice Bartleet in equal shares, except that the share of his said daughter Beatrice shall be £500 less than the shares of his other children. He directed that his daughters' shares shall be held in trust for their benefit but left his trustees discretionary power to raise £5,000 from the share of his daughter Maud for investment in the business of Messrs Nevill, Druce, and Co., of Llanelly. He desired that his son Gerard should take as part of his share his holding in Elliott's Metal Company, Ltd.

Source: The Carmarthen Weekly Reporter - 24th February 1905

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

WALTER MYERS

Birmingham

The will (dated July 29, 1884) of Mr. Walter Myers, formerly of Birmingham, jeweller, and late of Bourne Hall, Bournemouth, who died on December 1, was proved on January 18 by John Wolf Myers, Joel Myers, George Myers, and Wolfe Myers, the brothers, the executors, the value of the personal estate amounting to over £26,000. The testator bequeaths £50 each to the Birmingham Hebrew Congregation, the Brighton Hebrew Congregation, the Dublin Hebrew Congregation, the Hebrew Board of Guardians (London), and the Jews' Free School (Bell-lane, Spitalfields); £10 each to the Chelmsford Dispensary, the Commercial Travellers' School (Pinner), the Commercial Travellers' Benevolent Fund, the Glencree Reformatory (in or near Dublin), the Hospital for Incurables for Protestants (Dublin), the Monastery Schools (Killarney), the Sussex County Hospital, the Queen's Hospital (Birmingham), the Eye Infirmary or Hospital (Birmingham), and the Chichester Training-Ship (Gravesend); £2000, upon trust, for his sister Hannah Joseph, for life; £1000 to Esther Lewin; and legacies to brothers, sisters, and others. The residue of his property he leaves to all his nieces, the children of his brothers and sisters, John Wolf, Joel, George, Wolfe, Eliza, Esther, Susan, Fanny, and Hannah.

Source: The Flintshire Observer - 6th February 1890

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

WILLIAM HANSOM

London

The will of the late Wm. Hansom, of New Windsor, Berks, silversmith, who died June 6, was proved in London under £7,000 personalty. He has bequeathed to the trustees of the Royal Windsor Dispensary and Infirmary, and the Park-street Almshouses, Windsor, each £1,000.

Source: The Illustrated London News - September 1867

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

SEBASTIAN GARRARD

London

The will of Sebastian Garrard, Esq., late of Colebrooke-lodge, Putney-heath, of the firm of R. and S. Garrard, goldsmiths and silversmiths to the Crown, 25, Haymarket, was proved in London, on the 14th ult., under £120,000. He has left to the Silver Trade Protection Society and the Goldsmiths' Benevolent Institution each a legacy of £500.

Source: The Illustrated London News - January 1871

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JOHN NEWTON MAPPIN

London

TRIBUTE TO A WIFE

Advice to Children

Mr. John Newton Mappin, of Surrey, England, chairman of Mappin & Webb, silversmiths, who died on June 29, aged 77, left £824,860.

He bequeathed £10,000 absolutely, and the bulk of his property for life to his wife, whom he described as

"my loving companion and most capable helpmate for over 50 years, the affectionate mother of our numerous family, and the kind and considerate mistress of her servants and household."

He also states in his will: —"I strongly urge each of my children always to remember and reciprocate the love and devotion of their mother and to conform to her wishes in all things, and also to act towards each other in a generous, kind, and affectionate manner all their lives and to help those who may be unfortunate in this life."

Source: The Express and Telegraph - 6th September 1913

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

WILLIAM EMERSON

East Dereham, Norfolk

An East Dereham jeweller named Wm. Emerson, whose shop was frequently visited by the King and Queen, has adopted an unusual method of showing his loyalty. At his death he left estate worth £17,768, and by his will he bequeathed:

"One-fourth for such one or more charitable purposes or charitable institutions as her most gracious Majesty Queen Alexandra may be graciously disposed to nominate or select."

Source: The Flintshire Observer - 28th April 1910

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”