Views of Silversmith's Premises

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:54 pm

The earliest image of Elkington's manufactory at Newhall Street, Birmingham, that I have ever come across.

Image

The above image is from 1840.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:30 am

The premises of Arnold & Sons, at 35-36 West Smithfield, London, illustrated in 1876.

Image

Arnold & Sons were established in 1819, they were surgical instrument makers who entered their marks at the London Assay Office in 1903 and 1911.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:08 pm

An image of West & Son's premises at 18, College Green, Dublin.

Image

The above illustration is from 1888.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:03 pm

An image of Waterhouse & Company's premises at 25, Dame Street, Dublin.

Image

The above illustration is from 1860.

Trev.

MCB
contributor
Posts: 2135
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby MCB » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:08 am

WEST & SON, DUBLIN

West & Son, finally trading at 33 Grafton Street, Dublin, closed their doors to business on 13th February 2010.

Mike

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:10 pm

An image of Newsome's watch makeing manufactory at 14, The Butts, Coventry.

Image

Image is from 1880.

Jabez Newsome entered marks at the Chester Assay Office.

Trev.

MCB
contributor
Posts: 2135
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby MCB » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:06 am

JABEZ NEWSOME

He was baptised Isaac Jabez Theo Newsome in 1839 at St John the Baptist, Coventry, the son of Jabez , a ribbon manufacturer of Spon End, Coventry and wife Hannah.
Aged 22 years In 1861 he was living with his parents at 22 Market Place, Coventry and was a watch finisher.
He married Elizabeth Smith at Holy Trinity, Coventry in 1862.
He appears in Warwickshire trade directories in 1876 at 19 Hertford Terrace, Butts, Coventry.
In 1878 as J Newsome he entered a maker’s mark at Chester Assay Office comprising JN in a rectangle.
Other maker’s marks in the same name as previously were entered at CAO in 1880 and 1884 comprising JN in an oval with a pellet between the initials.
He is recorded on the 1881 UK Census at 14 and 15 Butts as a watch manufacturer employing 30 men and 4 boys.
Another maker’s mark entered at CAO around 1886 comprised JN without any outline again with a pellet between the initials.
He died in Coventry on 13th January 1891.
His Will was proved for probate at the Birmingham Registry in the same year. His last addresses had been 14 and 15 Butts and 21 Spon Street, Coventry. The value of his estate was finally settled in 1892 at a few shillings and pence over £20579.

Mike

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:10 pm

The premises of Payton, Pepper & Sons Ltd. at 3,4, & 5, Vyse Street, Birmingham.

Image

The above image is from 1903.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:50 am

The premises of the Watch, Clock, and Chromometer Maker, E.J. Dent at 33, Cockspur Street, and 61, Strand, London:

Image

This image is from 1851.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:37 am

The premises of Harman & Co. at 177, New Bond Street, London:

Image

This image is from 1908.

Further information regarding Harman & Co. can be found at: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=30091

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:02 pm

Two images of John Bennett's, later Sir John Bennett, premises at 65, Cheapside, London:

Image Image

Both images are from 1852.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:05 am

A photograph of Walker & Hall's Electro Works in Howard Street, Sheffield.

Image

This image is from c.1915 and in a similar format to the one posted earlier from c.1906, but now the chimneys seem to have disappeared.

Trev.

MCB
contributor
Posts: 2135
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby MCB » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:07 am

Edward John Dent (1790-1853)

He was christened the son of John and Elizabeth Dent at St Clement Dane, Strand in 1790.
In 1804 he was apprenticed to his grandfather John Wright Dent, a tallow chandler but spent his time with his cousin Richard Rippon, a watchmaker such that by 1807 his grandfather agreed to turn him over to Rippon for the remainder of his term.
By 1814 he was making his own watches, in that year supplying a Standard Astronomical Clock to the Admiralty and another chronometer to the Colonial Office African Expedition. His personal output was insufficient however to provide him with a satisfactory livelihood and from 1815-20 he was forced to take employment with a number of well known firms including Callum Brothers of Castle Street, Long Acre.
He submitted two chronometers for trial at Greenwich in 1826 and, by 1828, was employed by the Royal Observatory examining and repairing chronometers. He charged the very large sum of 25 guineas to repair a chronometer but had no difficulty finding work at this price such was his reputation for high quality.
In a letter to the Board of Ordnance in 1829 the Astronomer Royal John Pound described Dent as among the best workmen of his day and his reputation brought requests for his work from the Admiralty and the East India Company. In the same year his Marine Chronometer number 114 won first premium award at the 7th Annual Trial of Chronometers, Dent taking full advantage in advertising his success.
In 1830 he joined in partnership with John Roger Arnold in his well established business at 84 Strand to trade as Arnold & Dent.
1831 saw his chronometer number 633 along with others sent to Captain Fitzroy for his voyage aboard HMS Beagle, Charles Darwin being a passenger on the ship.
Dent became frustrated in his hopes to take over the business, in 1840 the partnership was dissolved and he opened his own business at 82 Strand with second premises following at 33 Cockspur Street.
Richard Rippon had died in 1835 and in 1843 Dent married his widow Elizabeth taking Frederick and Richard Rippon as his stepsons.
Also in 1843 he was awarded the contract to produce a clock for the New Royal Exchange and opened a workshop at Somerset Wharf, Strand to facilitate its construction. The clock was installed in 1844.
Other business addresses were 61 Strand, 28 Cockspur Street and 34 Royal Exchange.
In 1852 he was awarded the contract to build the clock for the Houses of Parliament, Westminster but died in 1853 before the work was completed. His stepson Frederick Rippon Dent finished the work. The clock became known as “Big Ben”.
Frederick and his brother Richard took over the running of the business and Frederick advertised in 1855 as sole successors to the late E J Dent and, by appointment, watch and clockmakers to Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.
The firm eventually became E J Dent & Co Ltd closing to business in 1965.

Sources: Wikipedia, Illustrated London News

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:40 am

Some views of the London Premises of the Goldsmiths & Silversmiths Company Ltd.

Image

Image

Image

Image

These images are from c.1905.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:54 am

An image of the new premises of the Die-Sinkers, Engravers, Heraldic Stationers and Silversmiths, A. Webster & Co. at 43, Dover Street, London.

Image
A. Webster & Co. - London - 1905

They moved into their new premises in 1904, having been at their previous address, 60, Piccadilly, since 1780.

Trev.

MCB
contributor
Posts: 2135
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby MCB » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:31 am

A Webster & Co were originally stationers who absorbed several other businesses including the one owned by Harding & Co, the name displayed on the window of their shop. They were described as dealers in silver and fancy goods. It is not known if they did business directly with Goldsmiths Hall to require registering a mark.
As A Webster & Co (Piccadilly) Ltd they were taken over by Frank Smythson Ltd in 1963. This company, originated by Frank Smythson himself in 1887, is still in business in Bond Street, The Royal Exchange and Sloane Street, London.
Jenner & Knewstub shown in the other window was managed in 1856 by Frederick Jenner and Fabian J Knewstub at 33 St James Street, London SW. They opened another shop at 66 Jermyn Street in 1866.
Advertisements show the shops were something of fancy goods emporia selling everything from albums, boxes, clocks, dressing cases, enamels, fans, gold, handbags, inkstands, jewellery, leather goods, moresques, Norwegian belts, ornamental novelty appendages, Porcupine (The Fretful), quartz goods, ruby rings, silverware, travelling bags, umbrellas, vesta cases, writing cases, to other novelties and elegances probably beginning with the letters k, x, y and z which the advertisements do not directly mention.
Jenner & Knewstub entered marks at Goldsmiths Hall in 1874 and 1877 both comprising FJ over FK in a square shape; there was a pellet after each letter F.
The proprietors in Jenner and Knewstub had been joined by Charles L Faber by 1886. After Faber had retired, possibly after The Fretful Porcupine had found a new home, the business became a limited company and was taken over around 1890 by A Webster & Co.
The premises at St James Street and Jermyn Street were taken over by the hairdressers Penhaligon & Jeavons.

Explanation of terms.
The Fretful Porcupine cost two pounds five shillings and appeared in an advertisement in the Illustrated London News 19th December 1874 edition on page 574. It was not described in any further detail.
As members will already know the phrase “the fretful porcupine” is within William Shakespeare’s Hamlet Act I scene V.
Moresques are goods with a Moorish design.
Ornamental novelty appendages must be left for further investigation by the reader.

Acknowledgements.
The Directory of Gold & Silversmiths Jewellers & Allied Traders 1838-1914 by John Culme; The Illustrated London News; Wikipedia; William Shakespeare (deceased).

Mike

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:28 am

Two images of the premises of George Edward & Sons of Glasgow:

Image
George Edward - Glasgow - 1837

Image
Edward & Sons - Glasgow - 1914

The second image is of their shop at 92-96 Buchanan Street. They moved into No. 92 in c1860 and stayed their until 1963.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:29 am

An image of the interior of the premises of Butt & Co.Ltd., at 32, Eastgate Row, Chester:

Image
Butt & Co.Ltd. - Chester - 1906

This image is from 1906. The business of Butt & Co.Ltd. was established in 1783, but its origins go back to 1703 and Richard Richardson I.

They became part of the Mappin & Webb group in 1968.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:37 am

Some images of the premises of Crichton Brothers of London, New York, and Chicago:

Image
Exterior of the London showrooms at 22, Old Bond Street.


Image
Exterior of the New York branch at 636, Fifth Avenue.


Image
The showrooms at New York.


Image
The Oak Room in the New York galleries.


Image
Exterior of the Chicago branch at 622, South Michigan Avenue.


Image
The showroom at Chicago.

All of the above images are from c.1918.

Further details of Crichton Brothers can be found at: Some London Advertisements and Information

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 30118
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Views of Silversmith's Premises

Postby dognose » Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:43 am

The newly constructed premises of Stewart Dawson & Co.Ltd. at 19-21 Hatton Garden, London EC:

Image

This image is from 1908, they moved into their new premises, named 'Treasure House' in 1907, later that same year they year they converted into a limited liability company.

Trev.


Return to “Contributors' Notes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests