Early Australian Silversmiths

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Early Australian Silversmiths

Post by dognose »

PRITCHARD

Sydney

A very neat piece of silversmith's work has been completed by a Mr. Pritchard, of Sydney. A silver medal, intended to be presented to Mr. Edwards, by a deputation of the Union Society of Australia, on which is embossed four hands, holding the Rose, Thistle, Shamrock, and Cornstalk, the emblems of England, Ireland, Scotland, and Australia; above these is the eye of providence; all of which are enclosed in a laurel wreath - the common emblem of peace. The motto on top of the embossed figures is "United to relieve, not combined to injure." On the opposite side of the medal is engraved - "Australian Union Benefit Society, instituated in Sydney, 4th of April, 1834; presented to Mr. William James Edwards, by the members of this society, as a tribute of respect, not only for his unwearied exertions and zeal in promoting the establishment of the Institution, but for his industry on all occasions, as Provisional Secretary, in maturing the same." The medal is very prettily chased round the edges, and to which is appended a silver chain. The above gift is to be presented to Mr. Edwards, this evening. at Mr. Taggart's, in Sussex-street.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald - 24th April 1834

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

THOMAS HURST

4, Bourke Street West, later, 117, Russell Street, Melbourne

MELBOURNE CRIMINAL SESSIONS

Old Court

(Before his Honor the Chief Justice)

Monday, 15th April 1861

ATTEMPTED BURGLARY - Edward Dixon pleaded Not Guilty to a charge of having burglariously entered the premises of Thomas Hurst, a watchmaker and jeweller in Bourke street, with intent to steal. The offence was proved to have been committed on the night of the 4th of April, when Kennison, a man in Mr Hurst's employ, who sleeps on the premises, had found the prisoner there on his return home at eleven o'clock. The jury found the prisoner Guilty, and his Honor sentenced him to eighteen months' imprisonment with hard labor.

Source: The Age - 17th April 1861

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

LEVY BROTHERS

Melbourne

Levy Brothers - Melbourne - 1870

Agents for E. & E. Emanuel, 1, Burlington Gardens, New Bond Street, London.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

J. O'DONNELL & Co.

50, Queen Victoria Markets, Sydney

J. O'Donnell & Co. - Sydney - 1901

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

CHARLES PREBBLE

Bourke Street, Melbourne

A young fellow of the name of Thomas Hayden pleaded guilty to a charge of having stolen a watch and chain, value £20, the property of Mr Charles Prebble, watchmaker and jeweller, of Bourke street. Detective Black stated that whilst on duty in front of the Theatre Royal on Saturday evening his attention was attracted by the cry of "stop him," and that on joining in the pursuit he succeeded in apprehending the prisoner, who, it appeared, had just before stolen a watch and chain from Mr Prebble, and attempted to blind that gentleman by throwing a quantity of very fine sand, or something like it, into his face and eyes. The watch and chain were found in the prisoner's left hand waistcoat pocket. Mr Prebble deposed that the prisoner called at his shop on Saturday night and asked to be shown some gold or gilt watches. On being shown them, he selected the one found upon him and now produced. He then asked to be shown some rings. He selected one and then he wished to see some pins. He selected a pin. He asked for a written warranty with the watch. Prosecutor said that after it was paid for, a warranty would be given. Prosecutor opened his book, took down the prisoner's name and the warranty. The prisoner then snatched up the watch and chain, threw an envelope and some powder in the prosecutor's face and started off with the watch and chain, the value of which, as before stated, was about £20. He had no money on him - nothing but two pawn tickets. The prisoner said he was an apprentice to the printing business and that he had come out here from Liverpool about three months ago. He had worked his passage out. Detective Black said that the ship in which the prisoner came out had imported about a dozen pickpockets and thieves like himself. - He was committed for trial.

Source: The Age - 19th January 1858

Charles Prebble was recorded at 91, Bourke Street East in 1853-1857, 107, Bourke Street East in 1858-1859, and 139, Bourke Street East in 1861-1862.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

EDWARD BANGS

136, Cambridge Street, Collingwood

VICTORIA INDUSTRIAL EXHIBITION - 1856

WORKS IN THE PRECIOUS METALS

Silver Goblet, plated within with gold; and plated cream ewer, manufactured by E. Bangs, 136, Cambridge Street, Collingwood. The Silver Medal.

Source: The Age - 29th November 1856

Edward Bangs's mark was noted as 'EB' - Kangaroo - 'V' (Victoria) - Kangaroo

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

MARTIN BROTHERS

Blackwood Street, North Melbourne

Martin Brothers, of Blackwood street, North Melbourne, exhibit a Royal Crown in gold, of the most elaborate workmanship

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

FREDERICK LAWRENCE

Beaconsfield

STEALING FROM MINES

CONDEMNATION OF DISHONEST MINERS

LAUNCESTON, Tuesday.

At the Criminal Court, Frederick Lawrence, jeweller, of Beaconsfield, was charged with receiving gold stolen from the Tasmania mine, and was found not guilty. The jury strongly condemned the evidence given by certain employees in the Tasmania mine, and the conduct of the company in retaining their services after having confessed to thefts of gold.

Source: The Age - 27th February 1907

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

DAVID HENRY

26, later, 31, Collins Street East, Melbourne

Mr. D. Henry, of Collins street, has carried off the Gold Medal for a case of bracelets, brooches, pins, and rings. The bracelet contains a delicately constructed watch, not larger than a shilling.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

FRANCIS PEARCE

Newcastle, New South Wales

OBITUARY

MR. FRANCIS PEARCE

Mr. Francis Pearce, an old resident of Newcastle, died recently at his residence, Roscoe, 31 Tudor-street, Hamilton. He was born in Sydney 86 years ago, and went to Newcastle at the age of 19 years, where he carried on jewellery businesses at various parts for over 60 years. He retired several years ago, and has been living privately at Hamilton. He is survived by Mrs. Pearce, three sons, and three daughters, Messrs. F. Pearce and W.J. Pearce, of Newcastle; Mr. A.E. Pearce, of Sydney; Mrs. T. Wilson, Miss Annie Pearce, of Sydney; and Miss Sylvia Pearce, of Newcastle.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald - 21st May 1930

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

FREDERICK CHARLES PASSAU

2 & 61, Sydney Arcade and 494, George Street, Sydney

F.C. Passau - Sydney - 1881

F.C. Passau - Sydney - 1886

Late of H.F. Delarue.

Frederick Charles Passau, the son of Samuel Charles Passau and Matilda Dawes, was born on the 30th April 1842 at Glebe, Sydney, and Christened on the 13th January 1845 at Parramatta, Sydney. He was married to Rachael Benton on the 1st November 1864 at the Scots Presbyterian Church, Sydney. He died on the 9th July 1919 at 90, Belgrave Street, Manly, Sydney, aged 77 years, and buried on the 10th July 1919 in the Church Of England Cemetery, Manly, Sydney.

Frederick Charles Passau was an Alderman of Manly and Mayor of that town in 1897-1898.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

BURNETT SILVER PLATING COMPANY

Melbourne

Burnett Silver Plating Company - Melbourne - 1878

ANSWERS TO CORRESPONDENTS
D. R. (Moree). On March 23. Burnett Silver Plating Company. Melbourne. They supplied a few to our knowledge. We stopped the advertisement on receipt of the first complaint. - Australian Town and Country Journal - 26th October 1878

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

PRIORA

Park Street, Sydney

We have been shown by the Messrs. Priora, of Park-street - two Italian silversmiths who have lately settled in Sydney - some specimens of their art of more than ordinary artistic merit, and differing in a marked degree from the conventional treatment of emu eggs in connection with silversmith's work. In the sample now before us the emu egg is cut and shaped into a car, resting on the backs of four turtles, and drawn by an emu, which is attached to the car by traces composed of native creepers, worked in silver. The driver is a kangaroo, seated on a rude platform of saplings and twigs, and inside the car is a figure of an aboriginal woman, nursing a picanniny, and holding a boomerang. At the rear of the chariot is a fern tree beautifully executed in silver, and the car itself is festooned with silver imitations of native plants. Behind the car is a figure of a male aboriginal in the act of throwing a spear at an alligator, which is seen running away towards the front, while around there are native plants such as palms, grass-trees, ferns, cabbage trees, rock lilies in profusion, amongst which a dingo is seen sneaking along. The whole forms a very interesting reflection of Australian aboriginal life, and shows much artistic treatment in the details. This specimen is to be exhibited shortly at the warehouse of Messrs. Paling and Co.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald - 14th October 1884

Perhaps to be identified with J. Priora, the senior workman at W.J. Proud in c.1912. J. Priora was noted as the maker of the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race Trophy that was manufactured in c.1912 but never presented due to the advent of the First World War. The trophy was acquired by the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia in 1946.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

MORAND

Sydney

........The account of the convicts is equally favourable, but we fear equally exaggerated. Robbers and highwaymen are here converted into good husbands and indulgent fathers, and the most abandoned thieves and prostitutes into intelligent and industrious mothers. At Paramatta several of the officers and the corps des savans took up their abode in the house of one Larra, a French Jew, who, from a convicted felon, was now become a freeman and a citizen, and married to a once abandoned, now reformed Jewess. Both of them being inclined to industrious habits, they soon raised a small capital; they cultivated land; they entered into commercial speculations; and, in short, M. Larra was now considered as one of the richest and most respectable inhabitants of the colony. Three French convicts served him as domestics, all sensible of their former misconduct, and fully determined to lead in future virtuous and honest lives. Far different, however, were the feelings of another Frenchman, of the name of Morand, a jeweller and clock-maker in the town of Sydney, who had been transported for forging Bank notes, or, as he was pleased to state it, 'd'avoir voulu s'associer a la Banquo d'Angleterre sans mise de fouds.' The levity with which this wretch related his own villanies, and the delight he seemed to experience at the recollection of the perpetration of crimes disgraceful to human nature, are certainly peculiar to Frenchmen of the very worst description. We shall give his history in his own words:

'The war,' said Morand, ' had just broken out between Great Britain and France; the forces of the two nations were already engaged; when it occurred to me that our rival might be more easily destroyed by financial operations than by force of arms. I resolved therefore en bon patriate, to undertake his destruction, and to effect it in the very heart of London–Had I succeeded (he exclaimed with eagerness) France would have erected altars to my name!–Scarcely had I set foot in England, when I commenced my operations, which succeeded beyond my utmost hopes. Assisted by an Irishman, not less expert than myself, I soon succeeded in counterfeiting Bank of England notes to such a degree of perfection, that it. became very difficult even for ourselves to distinguish those issued from our press, from those that were real. The moment of my triumph arrived; all my dispositions were made for deluging England with the product of our manufactory. Nothing was wanting but some little information concerning the mode of marking the numbers, when my partner, whom I had hitherto regarded as a gentleman, was induced to rob our depot, and carry off some of the notes which wanted a few trifling though indispensable formalities. He was immediately taken up: and as he had not scrupled to commit a breach of honour, he did not hesitate, under his present situation, to conduct himself like a poltroon–he discovered the whole secret. I was arrested, and Great Britain was saved from the destruction prepared for her.

'However evident the proofs of our project might be made to appear, I did not on that account despair (thanks to the nature of the criminal laws of England!) to escape being hanged. But the pusillanimity and terror of my companion were such as to leave no doubt of our common ruin, if I should be reduced to the necessity of being confronted at the bar with him. In order therefore to ward off my own fate, which could not retard his, I was resolved to make him the instrument of his own destruction. Besides, as he was the cause of all our disasters, it was perfectly just that he should suffer for it. In a pathetic harangue, therefore, I endeavoured to prove to him that our death being inevitable, we had nothing left to occupy our thoughts but the best means of escaping the gallows; and that it would be better to act like men of honour, than to expire under the hands of the hangman.– The Irishman was moved, but not quite resolved. I then observed, that if his own infamy did not affect him, he ought to spare his children the calamity of hearing themselves stigmatized; and that if he could not leave them a fortune, he might at least, by a generous self-devotion, snatch them from shame and disgrace.

'These last reflections kindled in the breast of the Irishman a spark of noble courage. We procured some corrosive sublimate. I pretended to swallow part of it–he actually swallowed it, and died. Thus disembarrassed, I avoided the gallows which was ready for us both. I escaped it however to be transported into this colony, where I am condemned to pass the rest of my days. The time of my slavery is expired. I carry on to advantage my former occupations of a jeweller and clock-maker. The two wretches who work for me, and who would hang themselves for the sake of a watch, enable me to triple my profits. In a few years I shall be one of the richest proprietors in the settlement, and I should already be one of the happiest, were I not unceasingly tormented at the regret of having failed so miserably in an honourable project, and in seeing myself looked upon as a vile miscreant, even by you, my countrymen, who are not able to comprehend the noble principles of my conduct.'

Source: The Quarterly Review - Volume 4 - William Gifford, Sir John Taylor Coleridge, John Gibson Lockhart, William Macpherson, William Smith, Sir John Murray IV - 1810

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

HERBERT PADDON FRIEND

19, Victoria Square, Ashfield, N.S.W.

Complete Specifications lodged after Provisional Specifications.

8863. Herbert Paddon Friend, 19 Victoria-square, Ashfield, N.S.W., jeweller, "Improved fastening or setting for precious stones and the like." 20th Jan., 1908.

The Australian Official Journal of Patents, Trade Marks, and Designs - 28th January 1908

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

ARTHUR PLUSH LANGMAN

76, Royal Arcade, Sydney

Complete Specifications lodged after Provisional Specifications.

9816. Arthur Plush Langman, 76 Royal Arcade, Sydney, N.S.W., watchmaker, "An improved needle threader." 20th Jan., 1908.

The Australian Official Journal of Patents, Trade Marks, and Designs - 28th January 1908

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

T. WRIGHT

73, Malop Street, Geelong

T. Wright - Geelong - 1891

Established 1853.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

SIMON KOZMINSKY

Melbourne

TO THE EDITOR OF 'THE AGE'

Sir, - I think the hallmarking of gold and silver ware an excellent step for Australia to take, and I hope to see it successfully carried through. There are many points in "Jewellers" letter that which I cannot agree, more especially that part which deals with a presumed loss to the trade as a consequence. I have been a dealer in jewellery and silver ware for near 50 years in this city, and I have always found more satisfaction in offering for sale hallmarked goods than those that were not marked at all. On silver and gold ware especially the hallmark should appear, and I think this is generally understood and appreciated by all purchasers. Yours etc. SIMON KOZMINSKY
17th February

Source: The Age - 21st February 1905

Simon Kozminsky was recorded at 363, Bourke Street (1889-90) and 165, Elizabeth Street, Melbourne (1891-95).

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

REGAL SILVER PLATE Co.Ltd.

Bishop Lane, Ultimo, Sydney

An example of the work and marks of the Regal Silver Plate Co. Ltd., a hot water jug manufactured for the Trocadero dance and concert hall at Sydney:

The Regal Silver Plate Co. Ltd. were noted as working in Sydney in the 1930's. Their mark has been noted on items made for the New South Wales Government Railways, Hotel Metropole Sydney, Qantas Airlines and the Sydney Trocadero.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

MYTTON'S Ltd.

York Street, South Melbourne and Port Melbourne

Mytton's Ltd. - Melbourne - 1957

Mytton's Ltd. - Melbourne - 1962

The 'Grosvenor Plate' brand was launched in 1928.

Mytton’s Ltd. merged with Rodd [Australia] Ltd. in December 1960 with the new company being styled Mytton Rodd [Australia] Ltd.

The company ceased production in 1991.

In 1991 McPherson’s Ltd. acquired the 'Grosvenor' and 'Rodd' tableware brands from Mytton Rodd [Australia] Ltd. McPherson’s also own the Stanley Rogers silverware brand.

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”