EBENEZER STACEY & SONSBritannia Place, 36, Garden Street, Sheffield
Ebenezer Stacey & Sons - Sheffield - 1871
Successors to John Vickers. Historically one of the most important firms in Sheffield, as James Vickers was the first to produce items in Britannia metal. James Vickers business, later styled Vickers Britannia Metal Company, passed, upon his death in 1809, to his son John Vickers. John retired in 1837 when he passed the business to his nephews, John Vickers Stacey and Ebenezer Stacey.
Rutherford, Stacey, West & Co. - Sheffield - c.1840
A new company was founded, the partners being George Shortried Rutherford, Elijah West, John Vickers Stacey and Ebenezer Stacey. The partnership continued until June 1841, when John Stacey left the partnership (John was in fact imprisoned by June 1841 until February 1842 at the Gaol of Ecclesall, Sheffield, but is thought to have rejoined his brother, Ebenezer, later). By 1843 the business had been restyled to Ebenezer Stacey and Son Co.
Ebenezer Stacey died of a heart attack in York on the 6th May 1859. The business was continued by his sons, William Turton Stacey, James Vickers Stacey, John Vickers Stacey, and later, Arthur John Stacey. By 1907 the firm was in the hands of Albert Harry Hodges and Arthur J Hodges. The Hodges family had had been connected as employees of the business for many years.
Production of Britannia metal items was discontinued by c.1915, but production of electro plate items continued until the business closed in 1934.