Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:43 am

JOHN T. JOHNSON

56, Caroline Street, Birmingham


Dissolution of Partnership

The partnership hitherto existing between William J. Johnson and Walter J. Johnson, trading as John T. Johnson, manufacturing jewellers, 56, Caroline Street, Birmingham, has been dissolved by mutual agreement as from December 31st, 1927. Mr. Walter J. Johnson will continue the business, collecting all accounts and discharging all liabilities.


Source: The Jeweller and Metalworker - 1st February 1928

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:54 am

Some early details from the Birmingham Assay Office:

The Assay Office — This office was first opened in the year 1773, for the assaying and marking of silver goods. In 1825, by a new Act of Parliament, the privilege was extended to the assaying and marking of gold. The total weight of silver and gold assayed has been 4,011,997 ounces of silver, and 17,584 ounces of gold; the duty paid has been £105,851. Of the silver articles, 27,167 ounces, or 1 in 148, have been cut as impure, and 330 ounces of gold, or 1 in 53 ounces. While the average has been as thus stated, in the year 1827, 1 ounce of silver in 64 was cut, and in 1786 only 1 ounce in 4,419; in gold articles also, while 1 ounce in 19 was cut in 1827, in 1832 only 1 in 253 shared that fate. Of the progress of these trades in the Borough, the following statement will supply a satisfactory view:—

Silver:

In 1773-4, the amount assayed was 16,983 ounces.
1800-1,................................ 37,473
1820-1..................................55,392
1838-9..................................114,500

Gold:

1824-5........................................22
1838-9....................................2,125



Image

The duty upon silver plate, when first charged, was 6d. per oz.; it was afterwards raised to 1s.. and 1s. 3d., and lastly in 1816, to its present rate, 1s. 6d. The manufacturer is allowed one-sixth from the gross weight, the articles being sent to the office in an unfinished state; therefore only Is. 3d. is paid on the gross weight. No duty is charged upon either silver or gold watch cases. The watch cases sent from Coventry to the Birmingham assay office are included in the above statement, and may amount to rather more than one-third of the whole weight.

The duty upon gold plate is 17s. per oz. The same allowance is made as upon silver plate. Gold watch cases bear a very small proportion to the other gold articles stamped, which consist principally of wedding rings. Of these 25,000 were assayed in the year 1838-9, at this office.


Source: Journal of the Statistical Society of London - 1839

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sat May 23, 2015 12:39 pm

JONES & CROMPTON

36, Spencer Street, later, 57, Harford Street, Birmingham and 1-2, Dashwood House, New Broad Street, London, 52, St. Enoch Square, Glasgow and 1, Todd Street, Manchester

An example of the work and mark of Jones & Crompton, a pair of napkin rings assayed at Birmingham in 1917:

Image

Image

Image

Image
J & C - Birmingham - 1917


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
J & C - Birmingham - 1910

The business was established by Edward Samuel Jones (as E.S. Jones), who was later joined by Hubert Crompton, and later still by Howard Ashwell Wallis. Following the retirement of E.S. Jones in 1904 the remaining partners were joined by Hubert Crompton's brother, Francis Hilary Crompton.

The firm were noted as exhibitors at the British Industries Fair of 1915.

Jones & Crompton entered their marks with the London, Birmingham and Chester assay offices.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sun May 31, 2015 9:14 am

C.A. McCALLA

50, Northampton Street, later, 37, Albion Street, Birmingham


Image
C.A. McCalla - Birmingham - 1880

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:00 pm

THOMAS DONES

Ranford Place, Warstone Lane, Birmingham


Image
Thomas Dones - Birmingham - 1851


An example of the work and mark of Thomas Dones, a snuff-box, assayed at Birmingham in 1850:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
TD - Birmingham - 1850


A card case, assayed at Birmingham in 1853:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
TD - Birmingham - 1853


Thomas Dones entered his mark with the Birmingham Assay Office on the 24th October 1850.

Successor to Taylor & Perry.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:31 am

SPOONER, PAINTER & Co.

New Market Street, Birmingham


Image
Willm. Spooner - Birmingham - 1818

William Spooner entered his mark, 'WS', with the Birmingham Assay Office on the 24th May 1815


The business later became Spooner, Painter & Co.


An example of the work and mark of Spooner, Painter & Co.:

Image

Image
'S·P' above '& Co.' - Birmingham - 1836

Image
'S·P' above '& Co.'

The business of William Spooner & Charles Painter entered their marks with the Birmingham Assay Office on the 18th June and 20th August 1834.


Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership, heretofore subsisting between William Spooner, Charles Painter, and Edward Till, of Birmingham, in the county of Warwick, Silver Platers and Manufacturers, carrying on trade under the firm of Spooner, Painter, and Company, is this day dissolved by mutual consent. All debts due to or owing by the said concern will be paid by the said William Spooner.—
Dated this 1st day of May 1841.
William Spooner.
Charles Painter.
Edward Till.


Source: London Gazette - 1841

Following the dissolution of the above partnership, William Spooner re-entered his solo mark, 'WS' on the 29th September and 24th November 1841 with the Birmingham Assay Office.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:53 pm

THOMAS LAWRENCE

Birmingham

An example of the work and mark of Thomas Lawrence, a vinaigrette, assayed at Birmingham in 1836:

Image

Image

Thomas Lawrence's registration with Birmingham Assay Office on the 16th July 1834 is noted as: (late John Lawrence)

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:22 am

WILLIAM BASE

Birmingham

An example of the work and mark of William Base, a pair of toast-racks, assayed at Birmingham in 1920:

Image

Image

William Base entered his mark with the Birmingham Assay Office in March 1919.

William Base & Sons (D.R. Base and A.V. Base of 18, Kenyon Street, Birmingham), the presumed successor to the business, entered their marks at the Birmingham Assay Office in March 1921, at the Chester Assay Office on the 16th July 1926. The firm were also thought to have a London registration.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:00 pm

WILLIAM HAYES

Forward Works, 68-70, Spencer Street, Birmingham

An example of the work and mark of William Hayes, a set of buttons assayed at Birmingham in 1901:

Image

Image

Image

William Hayes, who had earlier been in partnership with his brother, Harry, as Hayes Brothers of 73, Great Hampton Street, Birmingham, entered his solo mark with the Birmingham Assay Office in October 1896.

William Hayes registration with the London Assay, that occurred on the 3rd November 1905, is one of the more unusual entries, the mark was entered by William Edmund Hayes for William Hayes, who was recorded as 'a person of unsound mind'.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:57 am

THE PEERLESS COMPANY

1-6, Sherbourne Road, Balsall Heath, Birmingham


Image
The Peerless Company - Birmingham - 1917

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:45 am

MARPLES & BEASLEY

15, Albion Street, later, 260, New St. John Street West, later, 5-7, South Road, Hockley, Birmingham


An example of the work of Marples & Beasley, a commemorative medal of the Liverpool Coronation Celebration of June 1911, assayed at Birmingham in 1910:

Image

Image


Marples & Beasley supplied large numbers of cap badges to the War Department during WWII:

Image


Marples and Beasley sold out their interest in the firm in 1936, but the business continued to trade under the same name until at least the 1990's.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:59 am

DENNISON WATCH CASE Co.

24-32, Villa Road, Handsworth, Birmingham


The continuation of Dennison, Wigley & Co.


Image
Dennison Watch Case Co. - Birmingham - 1911

Image
Dennison Watch Case Co. - Birmingham - 1915

Image
Dennison Watch Case Co. - Birmingham - 1915

Image
Dennison Watch Case Co. - Birmingham - 1915

Image
Dennison Watch Case Co. - Birmingham - 1915

Image
Dennison Watch Case Co. - Birmingham - 1915


Exhibitors at The Jewellers' Exhibition of 1912, 1913, and 1914.

Exhibitors at The British Industries Fair of 1915, and throughout the 1920's and 30's.

The business was converted into a limited liability company on the 23rd July 1919.


H. J. Astle & Company, of this city, has just shipped several of the polishing dust collecting, blower and other Boland systems to the Dennison Watch Case Company in England. The company has installed a large Boland exhaust and dust collecting system in the plant of Wightman & Hough, manufacturing jewelers, in the Manufacturers' Building, 7 Beverly street, this city.

Source: The Metal Industry - October 1920

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:59 am

JOHN ROSE

Hockley Street, Birmingham


An example of the work and mark of John Rose, a cigarette box, assayed at Birmingham in 1935:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
J R - Birmingham - 1935

The cigarette case is also stuck with the Jubilee mark, used to commemorate the 25th year of accession of King George V and Queen Mary and may be found on silver during the years 1934-35.


A napkin ring:

Image

Image

Image

Image
J R - Birmingham - 1945


A pair of napkin rings with thistle decoration:

Image

Image

Image
J R - Birmingham - 1966

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:38 am

ROBERT CROMPTON

Northampton Street, Birmingham


FRAUD DETECTED

(From Our Birmingham Correspondent.)

There has been an interesting prosecution this week in connection with what is known as gold-filled jewelry. Henry Russel Crompton, a manufacturing jeweler, trading as Robert Crompton, of Northampton street, Birmingham, was summoned before the magistrates under the Merchandise Marks Act for selling twelve chains and lockets under a false trade description. The prosecution was on behalf of the Birmingham Jewelers & Silversmiths' Association. The goods were described as "18carat gold-filled finest quality." On analysis of one of these articles it was found that whereas the weight was 198 grains, it contained one .19 of a grain of gold, which was something less than a half-penny's worth. Another one contained only a farthing's worth, and it was contended that the true description should have been "gilt." Frank Haseler, the chairman of the Jewelers' Association, said that gold-filled articles should be manufactured from material which in the rough was a sheet of gold applied or sweated to a sheet of metal or composition. Other firms were making these goods and they were also made abroad and sent into this country in large quantities. "Gold-filled" was a comparatively new term, first used in connection with American watches. "Rolled gold," "gold plate," and "gold-filled" were practically synonymous terms. It was complained that to apply such terms to the articles made by defendant would damage the legitimate trade in gold-filled articles. Another witness, Mr. N. C. Reading, said that a dozen such articles could be gilded for 3d. He believed the prosecution would be approved by every manufacturer in Birmingham, who were all anxious to secure the purity of the trade. The defendant said he had adopted the term on the initiative of Americans and Germans who first introduced it. He thought the term meaningless and the process by which the articles were made was electro-gilding. He was fined £5, and £15 15s. for extra legal costs.



Source: The Metal Industry - September 1908

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:08 pm

E. LILLEY & Co.

46, Great Hampton Street, Birmingham


Image
E. Lilley & Co. - Birmingham - 1981

Specialist bangle maker.

L & Co

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:09 am

SMITH & BARTLAM

3½, Regent Parade, Caroline Street, later, 114, Branston Street, Birmingham

An example of the work and mark of Smith & Bartlam:

Image

Image

Image

Image
S & Bm - Birmingham

Edward Ernest Smith & William Bartlam entered a similar mark with the Chester Assay Office on the 21st February and 14th March 1905.

Harold James Smith and William Bartlam entered a similar mark with the London Assay Office on the 5th March 1914.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:04 am

HERBERT SCOTT MURDOCH

57, Saint Paul's Square, Birmingham


An example of the work and mark of Herbert Scott Murdoch:

Image

Image

Image
H.S.M - Birmingham - 1923


Formerly in partnership with Andrew Vaughan Jones, Herbert Scott Murdoch entered his mark with the Birmingham Assay Office in March 1912.


Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us, the undersigned, Herbert Scott Murdoch and Andrew Vaughan
Jones, carrying on business as Silversmiths, at No. 57, Saint Paul's-square, Birmingham, in the county of Warwick, under the style or firm of MURDOCH AND JONES, was dissolved as and from the 22nd day of December, 1911, by mutual consent. The business will be continued by the said Herbert Scott Murdoch, at the same address, in his own name, and he will receive all debts and discharge all liabilities.

Dated the 22nd day of December, 1911.

H. S. MURDOCH.
A. VAUGHAN JONES.


Source: The London Gazette - 29th December 1911

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:16 am

S.E. COOK (Birmingham) Ltd.

20, Frederick Street, Birmingham


Image
S.E. Cook (B'ham) Ltd. - Birmingham - 1981


Company Number: 647180.
Name of Company: HAYCOCK & HEAVEN LTD.
Previous Name of Company: S. E. Cook (Birmingham) Ltd.
Nature of Business: Manufacturers of Gold Jewellery.
Type of Liquidation: Members.
Address of Registered Office: The Old House, 28 Bradford Street,
Shifnal TF11 8AU.
Liquidator's Name and Address: David Geoffrey Richardson,
Muras Baker Jones & Co., Bradburn House, 42-46 Darlington
Street, Wolverhampton WV1 4NN.
Office Holder Number: 2485.
Date of Appointment: 11th August 1994.
By whom Appointed: Members.


Source: The London Gazette - 24th August 1994

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:41 pm

BALL & BRAME

18, Northampton Street, Birmingham


Image
Ball & Brame - Birmingham - 1879

In business by at least 1872.


The Bankruptcy Act, 1869.

In the County Court of Warwickshire, holden at Birmingham.

In the Matter of Proceedings for Liquidation by Arrangement or Composition with Creditors, instituted by Samuel Brame, of No 18, Northampton-street, Birmingham, in the county of Warwick, Gold and Silver Chain Manufacturer, trading as Ball and Brame, residing at the same place, formerly residing at Bedale, Acock's Green, in the county of Worcester. NOTICE is hereby given, that a First General Meeting of the creditors of the above-named person has been summoned to be held at the Queen's Hotel, Stephenson place, New-street, Birmingham, in the county of Warwick, on the 28th day of July, 1880, at two o'clock in the afternoon precisely.-Dated this 15th day of July, 1880.

ALFRED PEET, 83, Colmore-row, Birmingham,
Solicitor for the said Debtor.


Source: The London Gazette - 20th July 1880


GENERAL LIST OF FAILURES

Brame Samuel; trading as Ball and Brame.—Birmingham, gold chain manuf. 20 July 1880.

Brame Samuel.—18 Northampton-st., Birmingham, gold chain manuf. 24 Nov. 1882.


Source: Record of Failures and Liquidations in the Financial, International, Wholesale and Manufacturing Branches of Commerce - Richard Seyd - 1885

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40261
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Birmingham Information and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:36 pm

F. GOLDSMITH & Co.Ltd.

90, Spencer Street, later, 18, Vyse Street, later, 7, later, 141, Hockley Hill, Birmingham, later, Henley-in-Arden, Warwickshire

Image
F. Goldsmith & Co.Ltd. - Birmingham - 1981

The business of Frederick William Goldsmith was established by at least 1898. It was acquired in 1959 by Ken Clifford, who soon after converted it into a limited liability company. The firm remains in the hands of the Clifford family today.

F. Goldsmith & Co.Ltd. relocated from Birmingham to Henley-in-Arden in 1992.

The company also bought fellow jewellery manufacturing company Gullifords in the late 1990's.

Frederick William Goldsmith, trading as F. Goldsmith, entered his mark 'F.G' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, with the Chester Assay Office on the 25th January 1898. Frederick Goldsmith's private address at the time of registration was recorded as 22, St. Peter's Road, Birmingham.


Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership heretofore subsisting between us, the undersigned Frederick William Goldsmith and Percy Abel
Abrahams carrying on business as Manufacturing Jewellers at 7 Hockley Street in the city of Birmingham under the style or firm of F. GOLDSMITH & CO. has been dissolved by mutual consent as from the sixth day of January 1941. All debts due and owing to or by the late firm will be respectively received and paid by Frederick George Goldsmith of 7 Hockley Hill aforesaid. The said business will be carried on in the future by the said Frederick George Goldsmith under the above style or firm name.—
As witness our hands this 20th day of March 1941.
FREDK. W. GOLDSMITH.
PERCY A. ABRAHAMS.


Source: The London Gazette - 4th April 1941


Trev.


Return to “Contributors' Notes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 4 guests