Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Sat May 12, 2012 12:06 pm

C. KRISHNA CHETTI

Bangalore

Noted as an exhibitor of silverware at the Delhi Exhibition of 1903, and the Lahore Exhibition of 1909.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Sat May 12, 2012 12:34 pm

P. ORR & SONS

Mount Road, Madras

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
(Images courtesy of Carey Hill)


Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
P. Orr & Sons - Madras - 1876


Image
P. Orr & Sons - Madras - 1881

Image
P. Orr & Sons Ltd. - Madras - 1916



Noted as an exhibitor at the Delhi Exhibition of 1902-1903.

P. Orr and Sons, Madras.—This firm of jewellers and gold and silver-smiths claim to be the pioneer manufacturing firm of India. Their factory at Madras, in which they employ upwards of 600 artisans, is reputed to be the largest and best appointed establishment of the kind in India. They turn out not only jewellery, gold and silver ware, but also scientific instruments. A speciality is made of the hand chased " swami " silver ware. Their examples of this work, shown at their stall in the Exhibition, formed one of the most interesting features of their display. It is not possible to give a full description of the valuable and beautiful collection of goods exhibited by this firm, but special mention may be made of the following:-

A diamond brooch containing a blue diamond of a very rare shade set between two white stones, with a diamond drop of a beautiful pink tint. All old Indian stones of the first water. A diamond head ornament, in the centre of which is set a large diamond weighing nearly 134 carats a magnificent stone but slightly yellow in colour. A pink pearl remarkable for its perfect shape and colour and a fine emerald and diamond necklace with pearl cluster drops.


Source: Indian Art at Delhi - Being the Official Catalogue of the Delhi Exhibition, 1902-1903 - Sir George Watt Kt., CLE., M,B, CM., etc., - 1903


For details of the Rangoon branch of P. Orr & Sons, see: viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24259

See also: http://www.925-1000.com/AngloIndian_01.html

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Sat May 12, 2012 2:40 pm

MATHIES & BARRON

Bombay

Deaths

Sept. 8th. In the Fort, Mr. Thomas Mathies, of the firm of Mathies and Barron, Jewellers and Watchmakers. Aged 38.


Source: The Asiatic Journal - Volume 27 - 1838

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Sat May 12, 2012 2:45 pm

JONAS GREGORY

Madras

Marriages

At Madras, Mr. Jonas Gregory, Jeweller and Silversmith, to Mrs. Margaret Eccles, daughter of Lieut. Alex Dickson RN of Newcastle-upon-Tyne.


Source: The Asiatic Journal - Volume 27 - 1838

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Sat May 12, 2012 2:51 pm

C.H. LUXA

South Parade, Bangalore

Recorded as a Watch and Clockmaker, and Jeweller, located at South Parade, Bangalore, in 1869.

Source: Street's Indian and Colonial Mercantile Directory - 1869

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Sat May 12, 2012 2:53 pm

R.F. THOY

Residency Road, Bangalore

Recorded as a Watch and Clockmaker, and Jeweller, located at Residency Road, Bangalore, in 1869.

Source: Street's Indian and Colonial Mercantile Directory - 1869

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Sat May 12, 2012 2:58 pm

CHARLES ETIER & Co.

Allahbad

Recorded as a Watchmaker and Jeweller, located at Allahbad, in 1869.

Source: Street's Indian and Colonial Mercantile Directory - 1869

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Sat May 12, 2012 2:59 pm

HANHART & Co.

Allahbad

Recorded as a Watchmaker and Jeweller, located at Allahbad, in 1869.

Source: Street's Indian and Colonial Mercantile Directory - 1869

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Wed May 16, 2012 2:06 pm

BOMBAY JEWELLERY MART

367, Hornby Road, Fort, Bombay

Image
Bombay Jewellery Mart - Bombay - 1922

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Fri May 18, 2012 6:45 pm

M. ISMAIL & BROS.

Galle Face Hotel, Columbo

Image
M. Ismail & Bros. - Columbo - 1903

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Tue May 22, 2012 2:30 pm

S. ZORASTER & Co.

Sanganeer Gate, Johoni Bazar, Jaipur

Image
S. Zoraster & Co. - Jaipur - 1903

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Wed May 23, 2012 3:37 pm

C. MARCKS & Co.

1, East Street, Poona, and Bombay

Image
C. Marcks & Co. - Poona - 1881

Noted as being customers of James Dixon & Sons of Sheffield in 1915.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Fri May 25, 2012 3:28 pm

N.D.H. ABDOOL CAFFOOR

9, 10, Bristol Buildings, York Street, Columbo

Image

Mr. Caffoor is a pearl and diamond merchant and dealer in precious stones, and also a manufacturing gold and silver smith. He gained a gold medal for precious stones exhibited at the St. Louis Exhibition of 1904. His showrooms, attractive with glittering jewellery, are at 9, and 10, Bristol Buildings, York Street, Columbo, and form one of the chief attractions for tourists and visitors to Columbo. The business is represented in London by Messrs. Neresheimer & Co., 27, Holborn Viaduct, and Mr. Benjamin Warwick, King William Street, City. Mr. Caffoor also has correspondents in every part of the world. Although his establishment was only started in 1893 by its present proprietor, he has by businesslike acumen and enterprise brought it to the forefront of similar establishments in Columbo. The precious stones displayed are all found in Ceylon, coming from the chief gem-mining districts of Ratnapura, Morawak Korale, and Rakwana. By special command, this firm was allowed the privilege of exhibiting its precious stones and art-ware to the Prince and Princess of Wales at the Pavilion, Kandy, in 1901, during their royal visit, and large sales to the royal visitors and their suite resulted. Regardless of expense and trouble, the proprietor, Mr. Caffoor, has secured a superb collection of antique Kandyan jewellery, one that any of the museums in the world would be proud of, and it forms a gorgeous display, truly oriental in design. A noticeable article of this collection is the headpiece of a crown lavishly set with diamonds, rubies, and emeralds.

Source: Twentieth Century Impressions of Ceylon - Arnold Wright - 1907

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:42 pm

A.B. CASSE LEBBE

1, Trincomalie Street, Kandy

Image

This gentleman is a descendant of Arabs who settled in Beruwala, near Colombo, in ancient times. He owns some valuable moonstone mines and also some gem lands. As a general merchant and dealer in precious stones Mr. Lebbe enjoys a unique reputation. He is a member of the Society of Arts, and for the excellency of his gems and for the best specimen of gold workmanship he was awarded a gold medal at the Agri-Horticultural Show held in Kandy in 1902. He is an expert judge of all kinds of precious stones and pearls, and supplies gems to patrons in all parts of the world, either on approval or in execution of order. He employs a staff of expert goldsmiths, and all kinds of jewellery are turned out under his personal supervision. He is patronised by the principal Government officials and leading residents.

Source: Twentieth Century Impressions of Ceylon - Arnold Wright - 1907

Image
A.B. Casse Lebbe - Kandy - 1907

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:11 am

T. E. THOMSON &Co. Ltd

9, Esplanade East, Calcutta

Image

Messrs. T. E. THOMSON &Co., Ltd., 9, Esplanade, East, Mechanical and Electrical Engineers, Ironmongers, Silversmiths, Metal Merchants and Contractors, without doubt the largest and best known European Hardware firm throughout India and Burma.

The firm, whose parent House is Messrs. John Shaw & Sons (Wolverhampton), Ld., Wolverhampton, was originally established by a Mr. T. E. Thomson in 1820, on a site now occupied by a portion of the Great Eastern Hotel, and while the Earl of Moira, P.C., was Governor General of Fort William.
Dating from the inception of the firm as the "Original Hardware Establishment" in India and continuing to be known familiarly as T. E. Thomson & Co., it has developed from a small beginning to its present magnitude.
The premises No. 9, Esplanade, East, illustrated below, have been in occupation by the firm since the year 1853. They are situated in the pleasantest portion of Calcutta, immediately facing the maidan, and are in the main of considerable historical interest.

Image

The higher portion of the old building is the original, though slightly altered edifice where, according to tradition, Warren Hastings lived in 1774 when Governor-General under the East India Company. Of recent years trade has developed in a most marvellous manner, and in order to meet the demand for increased accommodation and to facilitate the handling of an ever-increasing business, it was found needful some five years ago to acquire extensive property and largely increased godown accommodation in Bentinck Lane and Dhurrumtollah Street.

No longer than two years ago it was decided to carry out extensive structural alterations at the No. 9, Esplanade premises; this was accordingly done with very satisfactory and pleasing results. The new facade in white sand stone, the conception of which was carried out by Messrs. Mackintosh, Burn & Co., is one of the most imposing and graceful frontages to be found in Calcutta. The valuable increase in show room space and storage accommodation generally has proved a great boon, and with the establishment lighted through out with electricity and containing a stock replete with almost every conceivable article in demand, there is, perhaps, no finer emporium to be found in the city.

Image

The Firm's Workshops, embracing the Engineering, Electrical and Cycle branches of the business occupy commodious premises, situated at the rear of the main building, and there controlled by expert European engineers. Employment is found for a very large staff of trained mechanics.
The immense stock, comprising English and American hardware, carried by the firm, is a matter of surprise to most people visiting the establishment, while another object of exceptional interest is the handsome catalogue issued yearly by the firm. It contains upwards of 800 profusely illustrated pages, setting forth everything that is latest and best in hardware.

The control of the business is vested in the Manager, Mr. J. S. Harris, assisted by Mr. J. Bazeley and Mr. J. H. Wiggett, Assistant Managers.
The head-quarters of the firm as before indicated are — Messrs. John Shaw & Sons (Wolverhampton), Ld., Wolverhampton, Staffordshire, England, with offices at 11, Charter House Street, Holborn; 82, Francois Xavier Street, Montreal; Long Market Street, Cape Town, and 10, Sir Lowry Road, Cape Town, and Agents in Now York, Valparaiso, Havana, Transvaal Colony, etc.

Among leading firms of English manufacturers represented by Messrs. T. E. Thomson & Co., Ld., are —
Messrs. Clayton & Shuttleworth, Messrs. The Chadborn Coldwell Manfctg. Co., Messrs. The American Encaustic Tiling Co., Messrs. The Standard Sanitary Manfctg. Co., Messrs. Willcox & Gibbs, Messrs. Sanderson Brothers & Mewbold, Messrs. Jas. Hinks & Sons. Messrs. Nettlefold, Ld.; Messrs. Jas. Cartland & Sons; Messrs. W. Hunt & Sons; Messrs. Whitfield, Ld.; Messrs. Hoskin & Sewell : Messrs. J. Dixon & Sons ; Messrs. Flint Eddy & Co.; Messrs. The Simmons Hardware Co.; Messrs. Humber Ld.; Messrs. The Rover Cycle Co.: Messrs. The Star Cycle Co.; Messrs. Chubb & Sons, Messrs. Jos. Evans & Sons; Messrs. A. G. Wells, and Messrs. The Blickensderfer Typewriter Co.


Source: The Cyclopedia of India: Biographical, Historical, Administrative, Commercial - Volume 2 - 1908

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:48 am

ALLAN & HAYES

10, Government Place, Calcutta

Allan & Hayes were the successors to Lattey Brothers & Co.


India Office, July 2,1867

The Secretary of State for India in Council hereby give notice, that he has received Calcutta Gazettes, containing the following Notices that the undermentioned Insolvents filed their Petitions in the Court for the Relief of Insolvent Debtors there, under the provisions of the Act II Vict., cap. 21:

Petitions filed praying for relief.

In the matter of the Petition of Dugald Lattey, of Assensole, near Ranoegunge, Contractor, formerly of Calcutta, and carrying on business at No. 10, Government Place, in Calcutta, in co-partnership with Arthur Pittar Lattey and Richard Thomas Callan, as Jewellers and Diamond Merchants, under the firm or style of Allan and Hayes, afterwards of No. 41, Porchester Terrace, London, and afterwards of Walton-on-Thames, in the county of Surrey, and carrying on business at No. 11, Southampton Street, Strand, London, and at No. 10, Government Place, Calcutta aforesaid, in co-partnership with the said Richard Thomas Callan and James Woodfall Browne, at No. 10 Wallbrook, in the city of London, under the firm of Latte, Callan, and Company, and at No. 10, Government Place aforesaid, under the firm of Allan and Hayes, afterwards at Calcutta, and carrying on business at No.10, Government Place aforesaid, in co-partnership with the said Richard Thomas Callan, under the firm of Allan and Hayes, and afterwards being Managing Director of a Company called Allan and Hayes (Limited), having their registered office at No. 10, Government Place aforesaid, and then residing at Garden Reach, in the suburbs of Calcutta, and carrying on business at No. 10, Government Place, aforesaid, in co-partnership with the said Richard Thomas Callan, under the firm of Allan and Hayes, and then carrying on business at No. 5, Garstin's Place, Calcutta, and subsequently at No. 11, Mangee Lane, Calcutta, as a General Merchant, under the firm and style of Dugald, Lattey, and Company, and afterwards residing at Pulta Ghatta, near Colgong, in the province of Bengal, and being Manager of certain Potteries, the property of Heraloll, an Insolvent.

Notice, that the Petition of the said Insolvent, seeking the benefit of the Act II Vic., cap. 21, was filed in the office of the Chief Clerk on Tuesday, the 7th day of May instant, and by an Order of the same date the estate and effects of the said Insolvent were vested in the Official Assignee - Stokoe, Attorney. Date of Gazette containing notice, May 15, 1867.


Source: The London Gazette - 5th July 1867

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:15 am

A. STEPHEN & Co.

19, Chowringhee Road, Calcutta

Image
A. Stephen & Co. - Calcutta - 1893

Arathoon Stephen was an 20 year old Armenian who arrived in Calcutta from New Julfa in Isfahan, and was formerly in the employ of the Calcutta jewellers, J. Boseck and Co. in the 1880's. In 1894 he acquired the Theatre Royal in Chowringhee Road, and following a fire that completely destroyed those premises in 1911, he built the spectacular Grand Hotel on that site. His private residence was noted as 2, Camac Street, Calcutta.

Arathoon Stephen was born in Iran 1861, he died in May 1927.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:56 pm

RANKIN & Co.

Calcutta, Simla, and Lahore

Image
Rankin & Co. - Calcutta - 1893

Rankin & Co. were established in 1770.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:55 pm

J. BOSECK & Co.

7, Wellesley Place, Calcutta and Darjeeling

Image
J.Boseck & Co. mark

The founder, John Boseck, died in Calcutta on 24th January 1899.

John Boseck was noted as exhibiting gold, silver, and amber jewellery at the Calcutta International Exhibition of 1883-84.

J. Boseck & Co. registered their mark at the Birmingham Assay Office in December 1909.

One of their former employees was Arathoon Stephen, the founder of A. Stephen & Co. of Calcutta (see earlier post) .

Herbert Webb was noted as manager of the Darjeeling branch, c.1917. His brother, Murray Webb, worked at the Calcutta branch.

In 1953 J. Boseck & Co. presented a Oyster Perpetual Rolex watch to Sir Edmund Hillary after his successful ascent of Mount Everest. It was inscribed "To Sir E. Hillary From Bosecks Calcutta"

The company are believed to still be in business today at 16-5, Chowringhee, Calcutta.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Indian Colonial Silver & Indian Subcontinent Trade Info

Postby dognose » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:52 am

PHILLIPS & Co.

18, Popham's Broadway and Mount Road, Madras

Image

Successors to George Gordon & Co. in c.1848. The business of Phillips & Co. was that of William Phillips and George Scriven, a former employee of George Gordon & Co.. The partnership was dissolved in 1853 with William Phillips continuing the business of Phillips & Co., and George Scriven continuing the manufacturing side of the business, located at 167, Popham's Broadway, as George Scriven & Co.


Member Willid kindly supplied the following information:

Year
Event

1848
First year ( from 1840 ) that there is no entry for Gordon and Co as Jewellers

1852
Entry for PHILLIPS AND CO. as jewellers at Mount Road and 167 Pophams Broadway

1854
WILLIAM PHILLIPS jeweller at Mount Road

1857
WILLIAM PHILLIPS listed as jeweller and engraver and also supplier of military equipment

1858
Peter Orr jeweller appears for first time

1859
NO RECORD OF PHILLIPS AND CO.

1871
PHILLIPS & CO jeweller evening bazaar

1872
No record



Trev.
dognose
Site Admin
 
Posts: 16891
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

PreviousNext

Return to Contributors' Notes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests