Help identify modern silver object and maker CFH - London 1998

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
OL SILVER

Help identify modern silver object and maker CFH - London 1998

Post by OL SILVER »

Hi - first post.. hope someone can help!
Having problems identifying this solid silver HM object AND finding who designed or made it.
It is Marked for London 1998 with maker stamp CFH. Length is 45 cms and weight 5.5 ounces. Has a slight bowl but virtually flat.
I presume a contemporary silver company or individual but have not been successful in finding who.
The use for this item ranges from a contemporary looking wedding cake slice to a fetish spanking paddle.. ooh matron!!
Turned up in a box of junk from a local auction..
Thank
SteveDWollongong
contributor

Re: Help identify modern silver object and maker CFH - London 1998

Post by SteveDWollongong »

Hi Ol Silver,

I can quite honestly say I'm stumped as to the purpose as at 45cms is too long for most table implements. The only thing I can suggest is a drinks stirrer for a jug of Pimms or similar.

The maker is interesting too as the mark certainly could be a match for Charles Francis Hall. The letter F in his mark is particularly easy to distinguish so please have a close look at the example here:

http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Make ... CI.html#CF

The only piece I have found for this maker is a VERY modernist box dated 1971, but this indicates it is well within his realm to have made your unusual piece also. The only problem I have with attributing your....lets call it spear is that you have correctly dated it as London 1998 and this is quite a long period after any other pieces have been seen by him as noted by Phil on the website.

Wait and see what others have to say.

Cheers,
Steve
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi OL and welcome to the forum

I am pretty sure that this is, as Steve suggests, the mark of Charles Francis Hall. Although there is a fair time span between my last seen-on date and 1998 I have also seen his mark used on both Birmingham and Sheffield silver in 1996. From this I deduce that the time gap is more likely to be down to not a lot of his silver from this period passing my radar rather than none being made at all.

As to the purpose of the item a stirring stick sounds very believable; I certainly have no better suggestions.

Phil
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Hi

I have been in touch with the maker of this piece, with his permission I have posted our email correspondance below.

Hi
Really interesting.
It’s a long handled slice. Lift a slice of ham off the dish and offer it across to your friend ! For instance!
Intrigued, where did you get it?
You’ll see long handled spoons on my website
Regards
Charles

Hi Charles

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I don't actually own the piece, but it has been posted on a silver forum, of which I am a member, with a request from the person who posted it for opinions on its use.

Would you have any objections to me sharing your response with the forum members?

Kind Regards

Martin

Hi Martin
No objection at all
But would love to know where it was obtained. I think there are only three in existence and all different lengths.
Hand , hot forged from a single bar
Regards
Charles
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Great work Martin. There's nothing like getting it from the horse's mouth!

Trev.
juantotree
contributor

Post by juantotree »

Thanks Trev, its nice to know he's still out there and producing some interesting objects.

Martin.

Return to “Mystery Objects”