Silver Mystery Container

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
Silverhound1628

Silver Mystery Container

Post by Silverhound1628 »

Hello, all. I recently purchased this item, and I am having trouble figuring out it's intended purpose. It is a small, round, coin silver container, about the size of a stack of 4 quarter dollars. I would think it was simply a pill box, but when you rotate the two halves about a quarter inch, two holes line up on the side allowing the contents to pour out. Aligning the holes also allows you to pull the two halves apart to fill the container. It is marked with a fineness of 830, and the swedish guarantee marks for an imported item, I believe. Unfortunately, the are no makers marks or date marks that I can find. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Silver Mystery Container

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
You have answered all questions.This import mark was not used after 1988.So, it`s older than that.No date letter and no sponsor`s mark.
The country of origin and the maker cannot be identified.Possibly Denmark ....
Regards
Silverhound1628

Thanks. Does anyone have any idea what this might have been used for. The hole is too small for anything larger than a grain of rice to fit through, but too big for something like salt or spices I would think.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi Silverhound1628 -

I am not sure if this are pill container -coin size - I believe in Lady´s snuff boxes. In my 2 examples the opening is too small for pills. Must be very tiny pills! Some ladys used cocain.....Both boxes are from Scadinavia - and I can not immagine a gentleman using such a box...

Regards
Goldstein
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

There were extremely small pills called "Pastilles" and they contained derivatives of coca and opium, these were quite common until around 1914, although I really am not sure about the size of the original "Pastilles" because they most likely no longer exist, perhaps somewhere in a pharmacological museum exhibit?

I am assuming these are "Pastille Dispensers" but this is only the best guess I could generate.....
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The discussion moved to pharmacy of the past.There were 1000s of pills that supposedly cured every disease.Pharmaceutical industry was no better than today,forcing people to believe in magic (now scientific) properties of their pills (look at the indication bellow ``dislodge bile``).
Of course, it`s more exotic for silver collectors to assume women of loose morals snuffed tobacco and were opium addicts.
Hopefully none of you takes tiny nitroglycerin pills for anginous pain and they were available since 1879.
All said, it`s simply a pill box.Now also advertised as sweetener dispensers.

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I find it interesting that all 3 examples are from Scandinavia and all 3 examples have openings of the same diameter.

I would estimate the diameter is 4-5 millimeters, which is the diameter of a modern-day Nitroglycerin pill, which is an extremely small diameter.

There must have been a reason for the Scandinavian standardization of pill size.

I just assume the extremely small diameter was for a pill which was taken off the market since we never see pills of this diameter, with the notable exception of Nitroglycerin pills.

The market was completely unregulated, basically anybody could sell any pill of any size, so I find it interesting that all 3 examples have openings of the same diameter.

If all pills were this tiny around the turn of the century, then I have learned something new.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

The smallest ever encountered;not a locket but a miniature box for whatever could be kept in 30 X 20 X 4 mm.
Vienna lion head for .750 used 1877-1922.
Goldstein
contributor

Post by Goldstein »

Hi -
after researching in my age group in several nursing homes the following has turned up:
The ladies (at a young age) sucked at balls on dance evenings "lilac pastilles", which were very tiny, to prevent bad breath.
Luktevannshus (Denmark, Norway, Sweden and Northern germany) had the same effect - maybe the girls at that time had all bad breath.... here some from my collection:

Regards
Goldstein
Tanga

Post by Tanga »

Just to expand on what others have written - many popular sweets and candies such as confits, dragees, Tic-Tacs and "hundreds and thousands" are direct historical descendants of the medications and breath-sweeteners that were carried in these containers. So if you want to display it in a way that looks authentic, just find some sweets of the right diameter.
Silverhound1628

Thanks for all of the information. I wish there were a makers mark on the box, but I am still quite happy with it.
Italiansilver

Post by Italiansilver »

look in google for "Tabu" licorice pieces sold in a (metal) box very similar
Italiansilver

Post by Italiansilver »

i mean very similar shape and dispensing system

Return to “Mystery Objects”