What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
dognose
Site Admin

A Mystery With a Difference

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I thought I'd post this snippet from 'The Jewelers' Circular' of 2nd June 1897:

PHILADELPHIA

While digging in his yard at 3715 Filbert St., the other day, George M. Garrett unearthed a small tin box containing a woman's necklace and some Confederate greenbacks. On a scrap of paper in the box was written; “To whom it may concern. The finder will no doubt be much surprised in
discovering these articles, but by visiting R. Vinquoix, jeweler, on N. 18th St., he will know why this was done. Caution : Do not think it will be to your advantage to sell the necklace and keep the discovery a secret. Mr. Vinquoix will make it worth your while to call. An Unhappy Victim.” Mr. Garrett has thus far been unable to find any Mr. Vinquoix, a jeweler.

The story, I believe, was also reproduced in other newspapers. I've been unable to track down the elusive 'R. Vinquoix'

Does anyone know anything further regarding the identity of this 1860's Philadelphia jeweler, or more about this story?

Trev.
rynegold

Re: A Mystery With a Difference

Post by rynegold »

No... but if you've ever read "The Lincoln Letter" by William Martin, it's no surprise that a lot of cloak and dagger stuff went on in Washington and there'bouts back around the time of the Civil war. A great book, really fun to read!

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-lin ... 1108361461
dognose
Site Admin

Re: A Mystery With a Difference

Post by dognose »

Hi Mitch,

Many thanks for the information. It certainly looks like one to read.

Trev.

Return to “Mystery Objects”