Silver plated spikes.

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
paulh
contributor

Silver plated spikes.

Post by paulh »

Does anyone have any idea what these are? They are silver plated of a high quality and measure about 3¼” in length. The ribbon and tie decorated ring is just the right size for a finger. The reeded disc at the hilt suggests that they are buried or inserted into something to that level, but the breadth and tapering of the spike seems to rule out that possibility that they are for spiking and conveying something, as it would probably fall off.

I know someone is going to suggest corn on the cob holders, but this does not seem likely, given their age and construction. I have looked through all my catalogues and references with no luck. I am hoping that someone out there can solve the mystery.

Paul.

georgiansilver
contributor

Re: Silver plated spikes.

Post by georgiansilver »

Their age and construction would suggest corn on the cob holders to me!
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Paul

I seem to remember seeing something similar but without the discs. It was suggested then that the short spikes could have been for holding something together during cooking. Roulade pins perhaps?

Regards,
Mike
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

A friend has suggested the possibility that they may be cheese holders.

This is Christofle's version from their 1894 catalogue (from their Karlsruhe factory, published in German):

Trev.
paulh
contributor

Post by paulh »

Definitely not corn on the cob holders. The spikes are too broad and the disks would render the impractical for this use. The cheese idea had been discussed, as it look like they are designed to be buried up to the hilt in something.

Return to “Mystery Objects”