Unusual perfume locket?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
muraille

Unusual perfume locket?

Post by muraille »

I am uncertain as to the use for this piece. It does not open although it is made of 2 pieces, it has no hinges, and I can't see anything inside through the holes. Any help in identifying the use of this item would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
oel
co-admin

Re: Unusual perfume locket?

Post by oel »

Hi Muraille,

Could you provide us with some more images, different angles and close ups. We also should like to know the text of the inscription and are there any silver hallmarks?

Thanks,

Oel.
muraille

Post by muraille »

ImageImage
Oel, thank you for your interest in helping me figure this one out. Here are two more pics. The reverse is also enameled, but without the flowers, just plain white. It tests for sterling silver, but there are no marks. It is 5/8 in diameter and 1/4" high. There are three sets of 3 holes evenly distributed around the periphery.
muraille

Post by muraille »

P.S. my camera won't let me get closer. I immersed the piece in water to see whether it would weigh more afterwards as a test to see if there is anything absorbent inside. It didn't weigh any more than before. Here is a link to see a bigger picture: http://tinypic.com/r/ilxapl/6
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Does the back unscrew?
muraille

Post by muraille »

No, it does not unscrew. When I received it, one of the sides with the holes had been slightly knocked in. I could see that there was no thread. The side with the holes is smooth, and its edge looks just like the edge that you see for the back. The side with the holes fits in the back by approx. 1 mm.
muraille

Post by muraille »

A THOUSAND APOLOGIES! Upon reflection, I realized that I had not tried to unscrew it! And of course it does. I can't tell you how dumb I feel....
It is marked sterling inside, no hallmark. So I guess it is a perfume locket after all?
Thank you all.
Qrt.S
contributor

Post by Qrt.S »

I would call it a "vinaigrette".
salmoned
contributor

Post by salmoned »

How smart of you to come to this forum and get the suggestion of unscrewing the piece, eh? ;)

Return to “Mystery Objects”