UNKNOWN RUSSIAN ITEM

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
ARGENTUM49

UNKNOWN RUSSIAN ITEM

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

The purpose of this item is a mystery to me: Russia — after 1900.
There is a handle and very small vessel at the other side, too small for anything but salt, but what would salt cellar do there? If there was a cup (missing?) one could speculate about its use to serve sweet cooked fruit (cherry) and dispose seeds into the vessel. Still, if there was a cup, it would be unstable to hold both parts with left hand, the spoon being in the right hand. Possibly home resin burner for religious holidays used in Greek — Orthodox countries (the priest ignites the resin and prays while the smoke comes from the burning resin). Any suggestions?
Dad
contributor

Re: UNKNOWN RUSSIAN ITEM

Post by Dad »

Please show us marks from this subject.
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

I am in the middle of painting the flat, everything is in cardboard boxes. I had this pic saved in PC. It is Moscow - ``Kokoshnik``, I have identified the maker. Still, the question is: WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THIS OBJECT ? Thanks for looking.
Ivan
Postnikov
inactive

Post by Postnikov »

Hi ARGENTUM49 -

First: Welcome to the forum. Second: Do not hi -jack threads of other forum members - start your own thread! Please read the Forum guide lines! If you have a question, be so kind and enclose minimum 2 sharp photos (one of the marks, one of the object), the measures etc. We have no clairvoyants umong us - so if your photos and description is not good enough - you will get no answers.

Without marks I can say not much. It looks like an European candleholder - but I never have seen a "Russian version". We will wait for the marks...

Regards
Postnikov
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

Thanks and excuse my ignorrance about the rules of the forum.I am still a novice in forums like this one, I started when I retired. Still, I am very familiar with Russian hallmarks, as I commented to ``dad`` I am in the middle of painting the flat, the object is somwhere in a cardbox. It is Moscow for sure, ``kokoshnik`` I have identified the maker, too. It has Russian ``art nouveau`` engraving. I thought about a candleholder option but it is NOT, the small vessel is rounded like a salt - cellar, the candle would not fit or stand in it. I will take the pics of the hallmarks but they will not help. The object is Russian for sure, but its purpose remains a mystery.
piette
contributor

Post by piette »

Hi,
It is possible that this is a serving plate, (possibly to be used in Jewish families) on which slices of bread would be placed? And there would be a dip for the bread in the holder?
If I remember correctly I saw something very similar made of wood in my local auction house about 4 months ago that was described as a Jewish bread plate.
Regards,
Piette
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

Hi,
Thanks a lot.
I am not familiar with Jewish religious customs but your explanation makes sense.
``Matzos`` unleavened bread eaten on Passover (cracker like).
There is also ``Bread and salt`` in Slavic welcome greeting ceremony (though, loaf of bread is used with a salt cellar placed on the top). It is curious that there is no religious inscription, instead there is ``art nouveau`` engraving (leaves and flower stem).
Therefore, the Jewish version you proposed is more probable if crumbled bread is served and dipped into something that from very small container in front. It looks like small serving piece for home ceremonies; it is too small for the church. I will investigate further the Jewish custom. I will make pics of the hallmarks but they would not help much to identify its purpose (kokoshnik mark and not important Moscow silversmith). It is well hallmarked in two places. Thanks again. Best regards.
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

Another pic of the top of the itrm. The container in the front is very small - about 1and ahalf inches diameter - it for sure not a chamber candle holder, the candle cannot stand firmly in it. If salt sellar, what was it used for ?

JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

I have seen one item similar to this and will do my best to find the image. The one I have seen had one more part, a pepper caster/grinder (I honestly can't remember which it was) that sat inside the center ring of the tray. the small cup was for salt (with proper salt spoon) and it was meant to be passed to the guests at tea.
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

Thans a lot ! I fully agree, I knew that the small container could be a saltcellar only - too small for anything alse. The circular impression in the middle also indicates that there was an additional part, missing now, most probably pepper grinder because if you have salt cellar at the end e.g. sugar caster would not make sense, but still, if various dishes, sweets, and tea were served to people sitting in armchairs around the room, not at the table it makes sense that spices were passed this way.Religios purpose is excluded - ``art nouveau`` engraving speaks for itself.
Much appreciated. The question remains about the central part and the habit of serving tea at the time.
(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

God bless you, have a happy New Year.

Ivan
Dad
contributor

Post by Dad »

Hi, ARGENTUM49 .

Why don't you want to show the marks of this subject?

Best Reg..
ARGENTUM49

Post by ARGENTUM49 »

Hallmarks added:

Not important Moscow silver maker Peter Baskakov, registered from 1883 — 1908.There is also ПБ with the dot registered, dot bottom line between the letters.
Moscow hallmark 1899 - 1908.Assayer Ivan Lebedkin (ИЛ). City hallmark unfortunately blurred, 84, woman’s faced to right, ИЛ on the far right. Needed 10 X magnifying glass to see it clearly. Still, well and sharp struck. All said, not an important item, just curious about its use. The small compartment is definitely salt cellar; there was something also in the middle, as a kind member from New Hampshire proposed (pepper grinder or sugar caster — depending on what was served to the people at tea parties sitting in armchairs around the room, not at the table). Other purposes excluded: ``art nouveau`` engraving tells against any religious purpose.

Regards and thanks,
Ivan

Return to “Mystery Objects”