Dent Removal

Questions on polishing, restoration, conservation + manufacturing techniques
Peach

Dent Removal

Post by Peach »

Hello all: I have been polishing my silver for the upcoming festive season and came across this lovely item. As you can see it has many dents and I am wondering the best way to remove them. Can I do it myself or should I take it to a pro?

I think it is a vase, it was made in Birmingham circa 1908 by A & JZ

Peach

Re: Dent Removal

Post by Peach »

Forgot to mention that I purchased it in some second hand dumpy store in British Columbia in the fall. Not qhat I expected to see silver, but it sure was a nice surprise. It stands 4 1/2" (11 cm) and weighs about 95 grams. I think it is a vase as there was no lid; perhaps a sugar bowl? But no guilding inside and is a bit too deep for a sugar bowl.
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Those dents will need a pro with a snarling iron to remove them from the inside. It looks like a sugar bowl to me.
Peach

Post by Peach »

Thank you....I will look for a silversmith with a snarling tool

Roberta
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Remember I have no knowledge of working with metal.

I agree that it shall be removed from inside. And it is difficult to get to.
However first I would try using my fingers - some might be able to remove. Next I would try a wooden spoon. The back of handle slowly and very careful I would "push" - well not push but moove the wood from one side of dent to other side. (dont know english word for that).
Minor and soft dents can be reduced/remooved. But only soft dents. If you have a hard break - this method is useless.
But try with a wood handle - remember to be careful and let ypur fingers "follow" on the outside.
burnisherboy

Post by burnisherboy »

Pro's in the UK call them bruises! If you use a spoon make sure it is hardwood and a little less curved than the profile of the good surface. Good luck, Burnisherboy
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Those dents looks small but deep, as if it hit something when dropped. The metal has been stretched into the dent and needs to be compressed to smooth the surface and match the etrernal curves. A burnisher or wooden spoon if possible) on the inside will remove the shallow dents (as seen on the right side in both pictures, I believe).

A snarling iron is a long (12"+), tapered (1" at base, 1/2" at end) forming stake with an upward turn near the end and a ball terminal. The base is secured in a stump and the object is placed over the end. Holding the object the base is struck with a hammer causing the ball end to vibrate against the inside of the piece while a dolly is held against the outside. The inside of the dent is worked this way until the metal has been gently compressed and then without the dolly to bring to outer shape smooth with the undamaged surface.

Here is a link to a picture of one: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... A&dur=3944

Return to “Silver Care / Techniques”