Significant sterling turquoise necklace MK 7?

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
LiteraryBiologist

Significant sterling turquoise necklace MK 7?

Postby LiteraryBiologist » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:12 am

Hi, I just bought this necklace and a matching Bolo that are clearly marked Sterling. The initial mark looks like a Hopi artist Michael Kabotie but the design seems way more Navajo to me could also be AK. I would love any leads. I searched the 925-1000 for American silversmiths as well as a database of American Indian artists.
Thanks
Eric

Aguest
contributor

Re: Significant sterling turquoise necklace MK 7?

Postby Aguest » Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:32 pm

I have tried to find this hallmark but unsuccessful ::: A lot of these hallmarks are stylized initials that look similar to the "Pictograph" style of native american silver hallmarks, so often it is difficult to tell if it is a symbol or is it actually just a set of initials in a unique type of font that makes it look like a pictograph ::: So, yes, it could be an "MK" and that would be the first guess, but I have not been able to find the "MK" yet ::: It could be a Pictograph symbol that I have not yet been able to identify, but I am leaning towards "MK" :::

Doesn't seem extremely old, my guess would be the 1980's, but this is just a guess based on a few details of the construction of the inlay and the sterling silver :::

Return to “Native American Silver”