Unusual Sterling Silver Woven Basket - Maker's Mark Help

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
crumblingbeauty

Unusual Sterling Silver Woven Basket - Maker's Mark Help

Post by crumblingbeauty »

This maker's mark has got me stumped (B.B. in an upsidedown / upturned heart). Style-wise, the basket doesn't look like the Mexico made sterling baskets I've seen, but perhaps it's of the same period. The weaving is more in the style of the simple Cartier baskets I've come across, though this is less mass-produced looking. The script used to mark the piece "sterling" looks like the hallmarks on many of my Native American jewelry pieces. . . I have not been able to find a matching Native smith mark. This is sterling+, not plate. Help? Please :).

Thank you!

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... g~original
http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff4 ... g~original

(admin photo edit - images too large - link only - see Posting Requirements )
crumblingbeauty

Re: Unusual Sterling Silver Woven Basket - Maker's Mark Help

crumblingbeauty

In the interest of compliance and respect for these boards, I should say that the name in the photo links is not the name of a shop I operate, though someone else has apparently taken it on. It's just the name on my old photobucket account. Thank you :).
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Even though this Ace/Heart does not match the known mark, any chance this is Binder Bros. of New York? "Sterling Novelties" made and handled. Any chance it was from the Bek stock and quickly marked to distinguish it from the norm?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Additionally, Goldstein & Swank (Worcester, Mass) [later Goldstein, Swank & Gordon] did use a small heart with (other) initials during first half of 20th century era. Citation shows they did special order work or handled it (not clear). Subcontractor's initials in contractor's mark? Normal initials for them are right side up.
silverly

Post by silverly »

My first thought when I saw this item was Native American, and .999 silver apparently fits that category. Wish I could be more help.

Return to “Native American Silver”